Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can iPhoto Smart albums reference Smart Albums?

Can iPhoto Smart albums reference Smart Albums?
kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2009, 12:19 AM

I can't seem to get this to work. They just don't show up in the list of Albums. Something similar works in iTunes, so it seems odd that you can't do it in iPhoto. Basically, I want to include all the pictures that have my daughter in them. Some are tagged with Faces and some are tagged with keywords (when her face isn't in it). I am trying to create a smart album that combines these two and then use a second smart album to only include the five star pictures in this set.

ibook_steve
Aug 5, 2009, 01:45 AM

You know smart albums can have more than one criteria, right? Create a smart album that includes Faces who are your daughter, click the plus button, and add the keyword criteria as well:

Face is <your daughter>
Keyword is <keyword>

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
You know smart albums can have more than one criteria, right? Create a smart album that includes Faces who are your daughter, click the plus button, and add the keyword criteria as well:

Face is <your daughter>
Keyword is <keyword>

Steve
That's what I'm doing for the first smart album. The problem is that what I need to do is:

Face is my daughter
OR
Keyword is my daughter
AND
Rating is greater than four stars

You can't combine AND and OR statements in a single Smart Album so I am trying to do it with two, which is what I commonly do in iTunes. It doesn't appear this is possible in iPhoto, unless I am missing something.

ibook_steve
Aug 5, 2009, 11:44 AM

Unless I'm missing something, OR is the same as AND in this context. If a picture has the face of your daughter (and not the keyword), you want it. If a picture has a keyword of your daughter (and is not a face), you want it. That's an AND, not an OR.

Unless what you are really saying is this:

(face AND > 4 stars) OR (keyword AND > 4 stars)

which seems to be the case from your original post. My bad. If that's the case, I'm not sure you can do that.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2009, 12:24 PM

If a picture has the face of your daughter (and not the keyword), you want it. If a picture has a keyword of your daughter (and is not a face), you want it. That's an AND, not an OR.
I'm pretty sure that's an OR, as I want the photo if either condition is met. It would be an AND if both conditions had to be met.

(face AND > 4 stars) OR (keyword AND > 4 stars)
That is precisely what I want. Perhaps our miscommunication is due to iPhoto/iTunes not actually using AND/OR statements. Rather they use ANY and ALL. Unfortunately, for a Smart Album you can only use ANY or ALL for every condition in the album, which is why I need to use two albums.

The first will select for ANY condition: Face is my daughter or Keyword is my daughter

The second will select from the above returned set the condition: Rating is greater than 4 stars.

Forum Links
Forum Rules