Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Having iPod plugged in --> Mac won't boot

Having iPod plugged in --> Mac won't boot
Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 09:03 AM

Just FYI, if you're having boot problems with your Mac, you might want to look at your iPods. I was having weird boot problems with my iMac C2D, and even had some kernel panics on shut down if I did manage to boot up. I thought it was the memory, and tested the memory a bazillion times, with no problems detected. (I even learned to test the memory from Darwin.) However, every time I swapped the memory around and retested, everything was fine, even with booting. As soon as I plugged everything back in, then I had problems at the next bootup. It turns out keeping my iPod mini plugged in during boot freaks out my iMac.

BTW, I had the same problem years ago with my iMac G5 on Tiger, but I had totally forgotten about that, which is why I didn't clue in immediately. So, it's not an Intel-only or Leopard-only problem. AFAIK though, it doesn't seem to be a problem with my iPhone. And I haven't tested my nano.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 28, 2008, 11:23 AM

i have had the same issue. Freaked me out a little, until I finally unplugged everything and was only able to boot that way.

MacBook '06
iPhone 3G

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 11:41 AM

So it does the same thing with your iPhone? It didn't with my 3G when I tried it (once). I'll try it again. I haven't tested my nano or shuffle that way either.

(I had mine mini plugged in so often because the battery was dying. That is no longer an issue, now that I have replaced the battery.)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2008, 12:28 PM

Just the iPhone or is plugging in a dock by itself enough to cause trouble?

lenox
Senior User
Aug 28, 2008, 01:16 PM

The dock itself is fine -- think of it just as an extension cable...without anything docked to it, it's not really 'there'.
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2008, 01:44 PM

I was thinking of it as an extension cable until we noticed there's a chip and some logic in there too.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 28, 2008, 08:12 PM

iPhone-USB hub-MacBook

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 09:11 PM

I just tried it again with my iPhone 3G. The iMac C2D boots fine with the iPhone attached. My USB hub is the one built into my 24" Dell monitor.

david50100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2008, 03:08 AM

Ok so I'm having the same issue. Really freaked me out too. I have an iMac with 4gb ram.. thought the ram was the issue until i saw this thread. iPod shuffle and iMac are brand new. My mac boots fine and shuts down ok but won't restart. sits there with a blue screen of death until i physically remove the Shuffle from the dock and boot continues fine. OS and firmware is up to date.

david50100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2008, 03:45 AM

plugged the ipod though the keyboard.. boots fine now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules