Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > [Urgent] Iphone restoring from old back up problem, please gimme a hand

[Urgent] Iphone restoring from old back up problem, please gimme a hand
matthew02270
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2012, 07:27 PM

Hi guys, my situation is quite complicated, let me first try my best to explain:
1. I have a new laptop, and a new iphone, i lost my old iphone, and also my old PC, so i cannot do restore directly from the PC, however;
2. I have already stored my iphone back up (the one in the location of C\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup) from my previous computer to my external drive

Okay, but now , I don't know what to do to restore my new Iphone to my old iphone settings, like my photos, contact lists...etc.
I have tried to put the back up folder in the same location of my new PC, but I did not even see the option of "restore my phone from backup" in the iTunes.
So, I really need you guys help me out since i got a lot of things that i dont wanna lose....
Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much

ibook_steve
Feb 14, 2012, 08:28 PM

Did you go through this:

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

You can also hold the option key while clicking restore to get more options. Not sure what the key is on a PC, maybe alt.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2012, 08:40 PM

He's not talking about restoring, he's talking about recovering his backup (with a moved location of the backup file).

matthew, I would recommend moving the backup files back to the default Apple location, if you haven't done that already, and restarting iTunes. The files should appear then.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Feb 14, 2012 at 08:47 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ibook_steve
Feb 16, 2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
He's not talking about restoring, he's talking about recovering his backup (with a moved location of the backup file).

matthew, I would recommend moving the backup files back to the default Apple location, if you haven't done that already, and restarting iTunes. The files should appear then.
Yes, but you have to restore to do that. When you restore, it gives you an option of what backup to use (if you hold the option key, I think).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2012, 06:51 PM

I restored my iPod Touch from a backup made on my Mac to the iPod connected to her Windows laptop. Just don't forget the password. I think you copy the iPod/iPhone backup file to a thumb drive or something, then connect the iPod/iPhone, then restore the device but restore from a different backup and enter password and wait. I don't have my iPod with me but it was simple and as long as you don't delete your backup you've got nothing to lose.
( Last edited by cgc; Feb 16, 2012 at 06:58 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules