Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Display is washed out after OS upgrade

Display is washed out after OS upgrade
Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 10:32 PM

I've just upgraded my clamshell iBook SE to the latest version of Mac OS X, and the video appears all washed out after the upgrade (and after an extra restart, running the intaller again and another restart to be sure). I used the archive and install method.

I've noticed a similar behaviour previously when running any of the Mac OS X installers from the CD, however it usually works okay again after the installation is finished, and the computer is booted from the HD. However, this time the bad washed out looking video appears to be permenant.

any ideas how to fix it?

I've tried playing with resolution and depth, but to no avail. When I click the "Calibrate" button in Display preferences, I get the error "The factory profile for the display could not be found".

Is this related? If so, how do I restore the profile?

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 10:57 PM

Did you try adjusting the brightness?

Wade

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 10:57 PM

more info...

I took a screenshot to post here, but when viewing the screenshot (at least on another computer) it looks fine - 100% better than on the screen where it was taken!

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by wadesworld:
Did you try adjusting the brightness?

Wade
heheh... yeah tried that. No good.

It's not the brightness that is the trouble. It's almost as though it was a contras problem, but there is no contrast control.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 11:07 PM

Try calibrating your screen.

Go to System Preferences -> Displays

Click on Color tab

Click "Calibrate"

Turn on "Expert Mode" and follow the on-screen instructions.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
Try calibrating your screen.

Go to System Preferences -> Displays

Click on Color tab

Click "Calibrate"

Turn on "Expert Mode" and follow the on-screen instructions.
Please read the original post to find out why this advice is unhelpful

(I suspect that it is related to the problem though).

BTW, I've just repaired permissions, but that didn't help either (it was only a long shot).

EDIT: I did however find the ColorSync Utility in /Applications/Utilities and ran a Repair Profiles, but that hasn't helped either.
( Last edited by Brass; Oct 21, 2003 at 11:44 PM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 11:35 PM

Try nabbing an app like SuperCal and using that to calibrate the screen.

Wevah
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 01:46 PM

I'd try choosing another premade profile, if you can, and seeing if that helps at all...I can't tell if you've tried that or not.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

ZackS
Banned
Oct 22, 2003, 01:48 PM

Yup, happened on my Powerbook and all I had to do was calibrate to get everything back to normal.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Wevah:
I'd try choosing another premade profile, if you can, and seeing if that helps at all...I can't tell if you've tried that or not.
Where do I get such a profile from... and where do I put it? Can you provide more info on this?

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
Yup, happened on my Powerbook and all I had to do was calibrate to get everything back to normal.
Zack - As I've said above, the system won't let me calibrate. I guess that's part of the problem.

BTW, that iTunes and fast user switching thread had me in stitches. I thought that until Apple fixes the problem, your suggestion was a very good one. But I just had to laugh at the rest of the thread after that... especially your subsequent responses

barbarian
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 10:50 PM

When you calibrate make sure that the display calibrator is in utilities. If you move it anywhere else it will not work properly. I found the same issue.... when I reset the gamma to 2.2 (PC gamma) everything looked normal again.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 11:53 PM

HELLO!!! Is anybody actually reading my posts before offering suggestions???

I'm getting tired of people suggesting that I need to recalibrate. I cannot calibrate because it produces an error. It appears that I'm missing a profile. How do I replace a profile? (where do I get a profile from and where do I put it).

I've tried a re-install (archive option).

Do I have to wipe my drive and clean install just for this???

Please read all of my posts here before offering a suggestion. Other than that, I'm really keen to get some actually useful suggestions.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by barbarian:
When you calibrate make sure that the display calibrator is in utilities. If you move it anywhere else it will not work properly. I found the same issue.... when I reset the gamma to 2.2 (PC gamma) everything looked normal again.
Do you mean make sure that the ColorSync Utility is in /Applications/Utility?

Otherwise, please be more specific. I cannor find anything called "display calibrator".

ZackS
Banned
Oct 23, 2003, 12:56 AM

The iTunes/Panther thread did get hilarious, especially when I went apeshit on Kenneth's ass

Anyway... the calibration is in displays.

System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Calibrate

Try unchecking the Profiles for this display only box to get SOMETHING to calibrate...

Lew
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
Where do I get such a profile from... and where do I put it? Can you provide more info on this?
Here.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Mimizuku no Lew:
Here.
I found where to place that file (/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles) and made sure it had the same permissions as the other files there. However, it didn't help. It appears in the Preference pane, but when I select it and click "Calibrate", I get the same error as with the other profiles listed.

(hmmm... if ever I do get it all working, will it be ColorSunc?)
( Last edited by Brass; Oct 23, 2003 at 05:06 PM. )

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Calibrate

Try unchecking the Profiles for this display only box to get SOMETHING to calibrate...
The "Profiles for this display only" is already unchecked.

If I select any other profile, eg, Generic RGB Profile, and then click "Calibrate", I get the error message, "Cannot Calibrate Display. The factory profile for the display could not be found".

Grrr.... !!!

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 05:07 PM

NEW INFO...

I didn't notice this before (the volume must have been turned down until my wife decided to play a game of Snood), but in the Preference pane, every time I click on any profile listed, it beeps at me!

It still selects the profile, but it beeps as if to say, this is no good.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 06:26 PM

THE FINAL ANSWER ?

Well, since my new PD 12" just arrived, I had to revert the old clamshell to 10.2.8 anyway, so I thought I'd try an experiment first...

After moving all my data to the new Mac, I erased the hard disk on the clamshell, and did a clean install of Panther. The video problem persisted!

So I then did a clean install (erasing hard disk) of Jaguar, and the video is fixed!

So this implies that there is some incompatibility with Panther 10.3.0 and my clamshell iBook!

At least the new 12" works better (and much faster!) so I'm happy.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 06:51 PM

If you (or anyone else) finds the solution to this problem, please post it. My girlfriend has a clamshell iBook SE (graphite), and I don't want to upgrade her Mac if this is a common problem.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
If you (or anyone else) finds the solution to this problem, please post it. My girlfriend has a clamshell iBook SE (graphite), and I don't want to upgrade her Mac if this is a common problem.
Are you sure your Universal Access Contrast settings have not been toggled by mistake.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Are you sure your Universal Access Contrast settings have not been toggled by mistake.
Well, like I said, in my case, it was a clean install including a reformat of the hard disk, and the problem was there right from the beginning after that. So unless that's the default setting, then no.

Unfortunately, I don't have Panther in that machine anymore to check (reverted to Jaguar as the only apparent solution). I've checked on my other Panther machines, and contrast is right down. Turning the contrast up to about 1/4 makes the screen look similar to the problem I was having.

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 09:42 PM

Hey Brass, I have the same problem with my 466 iBook and have a thread going in the iBook forum, "Clamshell user beware of Panther". It appears that some users don't have this problems and others do. I later had a problem with my entire screen. Under the color tab there is no iBookRGB as there is in Jaguar and OS 9 and so on, so the something got lost. I think you need to upgrade from Jaguar to get the iBookRGB in Panther. Unfortunately when I tried I ran into the other problem as you can read in the thread I mentioned. http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=184356

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by slider:
Hey Brass, I have the same problem with my 466 iBook and have a thread going in the iBook forum, "Clamshell user beware of Panther". It appears that some users don't have this problems and others do. I later had a problem with my entire screen. Under the color tab there is no iBookRGB as there is in Jaguar and OS 9 and so on, so the something got lost. I think you need to upgrade from Jaguar to get the iBookRGB in Panther. Unfortunately when I tried I ran into the other problem as you can read in the thread I mentioned. http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=184356
Yeah, I also tried an upgrade from Jaguar yesterday, and got some really weird behaviour where the computer was unusable completely! Large black aread, then all blue with the menu bar flashing.

Anhow, I fixed that easily by booting into single user mode and delting /Library/Preferences (I couldn't be bothered trying to figure out which pref file was the culprit).

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
NEW INFO...

I didn't notice this before (the volume must have been turned down until my wife decided to play a game of Snood), but in the Preference pane, every time I click on any profile listed, it beeps at me!

It still selects the profile, but it beeps as if to say, this is no good.
I had the same problem on my 12" powerbook.. I had install 7b85 (10.3 GM) over 7b80 or something (Archive and install) and I'd get a beep when trying to change my profile...

I tried removing all my prefs and logged back in, and that didn't help.. I think Making a new user worked, but I decided that I should just clean install/format my drive anyways...

I had also repaired my permissions but that didn't solve anything.

-justin

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Some Guy []:
I had the same problem on my 12" powerbook.. I had install 7b85 (10.3 GM) over 7b80 or something (Archive and install) and I'd get a beep when trying to change my profile...

I tried removing all my prefs and logged back in, and that didn't help.. I think Making a new user worked, but I decided that I should just clean install/format my drive anyways...

I had also repaired my permissions but that didn't solve anything.

-justin
Yep, so far nothing has helped. Even a clean install (including reformatting the hard drive) has not helped.

Reverting to Jaguar (clean install) fixed it (of course), but then re-installing Panther borked it again!

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 06:18 PM

The thread below actually provides a work around using Classic. I haven't tried it yet, but they claim it works, although it does need to be applied after every restart. It's better than nothing, but lets hope Apple address this in 10.3.1 and that we won't have to wait long!

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

christor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 11:31 PM

I saw this behavior on an original tangerine ibook 300 (clamshell) running 7B49. The linked apple discussion thread contains a posting stating that 7B49 was the first build to have this problem. I thought for sure that the clamshell ibook profile would be present in the final release - guess not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules