Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > SS Breaks my shizzy.

SS Breaks my shizzy.
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2005, 02:36 PM

So, I have tried it over and over, testing and testing...

Whenever I have SS activated, using the slideshow functions of both Finder and iPhoto cause my compy to hard freeze. This also occurs when trying to use games like Wolfenstein ET, Medal of Honor, or any other game that changes the resolution of the screen ( or whatever.)

I have the latest version of os x (this also happened on release and first update.)

1.8 GH Powermac G5
256 MB RAM
128 MB 9600 XT ATI video card

As a huge fan of Unsanity software, I really hope that this gets fixed... So many good themes ( no matter what they say) that I really would like to use.

R

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2005, 01:41 AM

Seems you have quite another issue here. Fact is, no haxie can cause a hard freeze because they live in User space.

Sounds like you might have issues with your graphic card drivers or the graphic card ROM (if you upgraded it)

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 11:10 AM

I can't duplicate this either. I don't think ShapeShifter takes any special action when the screen resolution is changed that might cause what you're seeing.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2005, 09:02 PM

hrm... So strange. This happens when I have it (SS) activated. As for the ROM thing... I paid apple to upgrade my machine when I ordered it. As for drivers, When I upgraded to 10.4.2 there was something in there about it upgrading the graphics card...

Any suggestions would be so rox0rz.

R

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 15, 2005, 09:25 PM

G0Ducks does it happen when you have SS deactivated?

Originally Posted by Rosyna
Seems you have quite another issue here. Fact is, no haxie can cause a hard freeze because they live in User space.
That isn't true at all.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2005, 10:25 PM

Well, I ran the hardware test and everything passes. The only thing that was wonky was that the modem was unfound until it was tested. I haven't tested things yet, but I'll give a report soon.

R

Originally Posted by Zimphire
G0Ducks does it happen when you have SS deactivated?

That isn't true at all.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2005, 05:28 PM

That isn't true at all.
It is true. A patcher doesn't have the correct privileges to patch outside of user space.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 16, 2005, 06:23 PM

Right, but it still could bring down the system. It has done it before to me.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2005, 03:59 AM

hrm... still breakin' my shizzy... Oh well. I'll just unload stuff when I need to.

R

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2005, 05:12 PM

Right, but it still could bring down the system. It has done it before to me.
Can't bring down any system processes because those are owned by root and cannot be patched.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2005, 12:01 PM

Arguing with Zimph is like arguing with a brick wall... it's stupid, stubborn and decidedly one-sided - and you're going to lose regardless of how right you are.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 18, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Can't bring down any system processes because those are owned by root and cannot be patched.
Then please explain how the only time my system was downing is when SS was installed, when I did a certain action in Illustrator? Happened every time. If SS wasn't loaded it didn't do it.

This was a earlier version. But it did happen.

SS may not have access to system processes but it does have access to applications that do have access to system process. If SS and said application don't work well together, it can bring down the system.

I've seen it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 18, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MacDog
Arguing with Zimph is like arguing with a brick wall... it's stupid, stubborn and decidedly one-sided - and you're going to lose regardless of how right you are.
\

Well in this case he isn't wrong, but he isn't right either.

SS doesn't directly cause a crash maybe not. But it can cause applications to cause a crash because of incompatibilities.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2005, 01:01 PM

Then please explain how the only time my system was downing is when SS was installed, when I did a certain action in Illustrator? Happened every time. If SS wasn't loaded it didn't do it.

This was a earlier version. But it did happen.

SS may not have access to system processes but it does have access to applications that do have access to system process. If SS and said application don't work well together, it can bring down the system.

I've seen it.
Illustrator isn't a system process, and no, Illustrator crashing could not bring down the system. And no, Illustrator does not have access to the "system process".

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by G0Ducks
Well, I ran the hardware test and everything passes. The only thing that was wonky was that the modem was unfound until it was tested. I haven't tested things yet, but I'll give a report soon.

R
Well, then in that case, I don't supposed you've tried downloading the ATI drivers from ATIs site?

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/macosx-a...-1.html#macosx

And although I absolutely HATE to suggest it, have you tried running the hardware test stuff off the DVD/CD that came with your mac?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 18, 2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Illustrator isn't a system process, and no, Illustrator crashing could not bring down the system. And no, Illustrator does not have access to the "system process".
Then I have no clue what was doing it.

All I know is, it only happened when SS was running.

I was using one of swiz's dark themes. It started doing it all the time.

So I asked him for it in a non SS version.

I switched back to Smooth Stripes soon after.

Same computer as I have now, and it hasn't done it since.

I should try to load SS and see if it still does it.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyna
Well, then in that case, I don't supposed you've tried downloading the ATI drivers from ATIs site?

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/macosx-a...-1.html#macosx

And although I absolutely HATE to suggest it, have you tried running the hardware test stuff off the DVD/CD that came with your mac?

Yeah... The hardware test thing that I ran was off of the DVD that came with my mac. It restarted my mac into the Hardware test app... All things passed (and my modem was re-found.)

As for the ATI drivers... That is the first thing I did, before running the Hardware Test.

To get things to work the right way, I unload SS, log out, log in, then run my desired app...

R

Wickedkitten
Jul 19, 2005, 07:12 AM

you may really want to get another stick of ram regardless of what is causing the problem

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2005, 03:47 PM

oh... I know. In my G4 I had almost a GB o RAM... Unfortunately, I couldn't put that into my new mac....

Its like $140 for another 512 MG through my campus computing center.
Could RAM be the issue?

R

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2005, 02:06 AM

Well, I contacted my apple peeps and they suggested that I archive install... Doing so has thus far fixed what ever issue I had... More testing will ensue.

So far... Pleased!

R

Forum Links
Forum Rules