Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bernina software in Parallels/Fusion?

Bernina software in Parallels/Fusion?
Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2007, 09:47 PM

Anyone here running Bernina's embroidery software, with its USB dongle, in Parallels or Fusion? My Mom just bought an iMac, and this is the only thing she needed Windows for before, and I'd like for her not to have to reboot just to use that. So, anyone doing something similar? Surely someone has a mom that does this stuff.

Edit: I'd like to know if CrossOver would work too.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 28, 2007, 11:42 PM

Is the USB dongle an antipiracy gadget or an interface? It makes a difference, since Parallels doesn't really properly emulate USB all that well, and copy protect dongles often really, REALLY need full and enthusiastically implemented USB connections.

If at all possible, go with Boot Camp, since it allows Windows native access to the hardware, and such things as dongles tend to work just fine with it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thinine  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2007, 10:53 AM

Just copy-protect, AFAIK.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 29, 2007, 04:23 PM

That's too bad. USB copy protect dongles may be better than the old fashioned parallel or serial port dongles, but they still suck-they frequently cause problems for legitimate users. I think you'd do well to go the Boot Camp route, which should be the most like whatever computer hardware the copy protect system they're using is expecting. Does Bernina have a web site for their software? It may list something about hardware requirements that would be useful-and they may even have a tech support email address that would let you ask them directly "what's the best way for me to install your software on a Mac?"

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules