Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Cocoa Developer - Please Help!

Cocoa Developer - Please Help!
Feynman
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2008, 02:49 PM

Okay so I am looking for a willing developer to write a small program for me.

Basically, I want a cataloging program for my vinyl records and not "Library" based program fits my needs.

Currently there is no cataloging software out there aimed at record collectors so this is kind of a niche request but
I am willing to pay about 250 to 500 US dollars and once the program is completed, maybe we could look into opening it up to shareware.

Anyway, my offer is very serious.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2008, 08:13 PM

Have you considered using Filemaker or a database program?

Feynman  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2008, 03:21 AM

Yup but one of the main things I want it to do; it can't - export to web, with images.

Feynman  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2008, 03:01 AM

So is anyone interested?

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 12:22 PM

Have you looked at Delicious Library? If that doesn't fit your needs maybe you could contact the author and pay for them to make you a custom version? Filemaker (or SQL, Access, etc.) experts may be able to assist as well.

Other programs that are along the same genre are Booxter and KavaTunes. Actually it sounds like you want a database with KavaTunes output.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 12:54 PM

Would you be interested in a web-based program? I'd be willing to do it for a lower price, and it would have the advantage of portability over the web. A PHP/SQL solution would probably serve you pretty well. Stick a shiny ajax-type interactive interface on the top, and you've got a pretty cool setup.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Feynman  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Have you looked at Delicious Library? If that doesn't fit your needs maybe you could contact the author and pay for them to make you a custom version? Filemaker (or SQL, Access, etc.) experts may be able to assist as well.

Other programs that are along the same genre are Booxter and KavaTunes. Actually it sounds like you want a database with KavaTunes output.
Okay, again this is for vinyl records, you know like 12"/LPs and 7"/45s.

And no, Delicious Monster will not accommodate my requests. DL2 will only have support for LPs and besides it will be mixed in with the music shelf.

I want a database to have different "shelfs" or I guess "bins" would be more appropriate for each record size. I also want to be able to scan in both the front and back cover as well as front and back of the record itself (I have lots of records that are multiple colors and picture discs and they look cool as hell).

larkost
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 03:26 PM

You estimate on price ($500) would only pay for 5-10 hours of development, and you are asking for something that is going to take longer than that (mostly because you have unarticulated ideas for how this should work). You are unlikely to get any interest for that price.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
Okay, again this is for vinyl records, you know like 12"/LPs and 7"/45s.

And no, Delicious Monster will not accommodate my requests. DL2 will only have support for LPs and besides it will be mixed in with the music shelf.
Right, I knew that and was trying to point out a few programs that you may not have looked at.

Brass
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
Yup but one of the main things I want it to do; it can't - export to web, with images.
Can you be more specific? I've written FMP database solutions that export to the web, including images. In fact, with recent versions of FMP, you don't even need to export... it will serve it to the web directly.

techtrucker
Senior User
Feb 7, 2008, 07:17 AM

By "shelves" or "bins" do you mean you want a GUI like DL for the records?

I agree that this might be a little bit more than a 5-10 hour project. I wouldn't mind something to do on the side, however, and will keep an eye on this thread.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

Forum Links
Forum Rules