Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPood!

iPood!
Brass
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2008, 11:19 PM

Somebody posted about the new Sea to Summit iPood in the Tasmania bushwalking forums.

I thought you guys might be interested in the apparent Apple connection. The iPood is also available in a variety of anodised metallic colours. It shiytes all over the single 'o' iPod.
( Last edited by Brass; Mar 3, 2008 at 06:01 PM. )

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 12:43 AM

"Comes with its own stuff sack." That doesn't even sound right.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2008, 12:52 AM

What the F? Human excrement would only be beneficial to the environment. What's the point of this "Leave No Trace" then?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2008, 01:49 AM

When bears start scooping up their **** and toting it off, I will too.

What's the point of this "Leave No Trace" then?
I suppose it's a good idea if you're John Rambo and the Feds are tracking you. Otherwise, it's silly.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
What the F? Human excrement would only be beneficial to the environment. What's the point of this "Leave No Trace" then?
Going bushwalking in the wilderness and finding toilet paper lying around does detract from the experience. As does the smell. If it is good for the environment, it's even better when buried.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 06:00 PM

Yeah, I'll kick some dirt over it, but I refuse to carry it around with me for the rest of the day.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Yeah, I'll kick some dirt over it, but I refuse to carry it around with me for the rest of the day.

I'm pretty sure the only time you're expected to do this is if you're in a dirt-free environment. Like a cave, or the side of a mountain.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I've been walking in the wilderness for 2 weeks straight. I sure don't want to carry that much of my own refuse around with me for that long!

Which is where the iPood comes in to bury it! (NOT to scoop it up and carry it around! My iPood will, I hope, never touch anything but dirt and grass).
( Last edited by Brass; Mar 3, 2008 at 06:03 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2008, 08:51 PM

I was under the impression that people were scooping up their feces, and used TP, and putting it into baggies. I refuse to carry that around with me, no matter where I'm hiking.
- Thomas Paine

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 18, 2008, 09:21 PM

That's got to be the shittiest product name ever.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2008, 10:47 PM

By Leave No Trace they mean humans shouldn't be leaving their toilet paper in the woods. which is why most people bury it when they poo outside, and if you use toilet paper you are supposed to burn the TP when you are finished with your bowl movement.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
and if you use toilet paper you are supposed to burn the TP when you are finished with your bowl movement.
yikes! not in Tasmania. You could cause peat fires (if you don't cause full on bushfires/wildfires) which can burn in the soil for months on end.

abe
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 06:04 PM

Sanitation

Backcountry users create body waste and wastewater that require proper disposal.

Wastewater. Help prevent contamination of natural water sources: After straining food particles, properly dispose of dishwater by dispersing at least 200 feet (about 80 to 100 strides for a youth) from springs, streams, and lakes. Use biodegradable soap 200 feet or more from any water source.

Human Waste. Proper human waste disposal helps prevent the spread of disease and exposure to others. Catholes 6 to 8 inches deep and 200 feet from water, trails, and campsites are often the easiest and most practical way to dispose of feces.
Leave No Trace Principles
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
Sounds about right. In Australia (or at least in Tasmania) we call it "Minimal Impact" (after all, if you're burying the waste, you are leaving some trace ). There's 3 links to different documents on Minimal Impact bushwalking in the first post of the minimal impact bushwalking topic on the bushwalking forums.

The first of the 3 links contains the official word on toilet waste in the wilderness from Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service link is:

If a toilet exists please use it! This will help reduce the risk of giardi, which can cause an intestinal illness. If there is no toilet then walk 100m away from water and the track, dig a 15-cm hole and bury your waste and the toilet paper as well.

By the way, I do now own an iPood, and just used it for the first time out in the wilderness.
( Last edited by Brass; Feb 19, 2008 at 09:45 PM. )

abe
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2008, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Sounds about right. In Australia (or at least in Tasmania) we call it "Minimal Impact" (after all, if you're burying the waste, you are leaving some trace ). There's 3 links to different documents on Minimal Impact bushwalking in the first post of the minimal impact bushwalking topic on the bushwalking forums.

The first of the 3 links contains the official word on toilet waste in the wilderness from Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service link is:

If a toilet exists please use it! This will help reduce the risk of giardi, which can cause an intestinal illness. If there is no toilet then walk 100m away from water and the track, dig a 15-cm hole and bury your waste and the toilet paper as well.

By the way, I do now own an iPood, and just used it for the first time out in the wilderness.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Forum Links
Forum Rules