Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Left vs Right USB ports

Left vs Right USB ports
GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2008, 02:21 PM

on a new PowerBook Pro the unit fails to see the external Apple USB modem when it is plugged into the USB port on the left side but works fine with it plugged into the right side port. Haven't seen anything indicating these ports are different but I'm thinking one is the equivalent to a hub port and the other is directly connected to the motherboard. The left side USB port works fine with AC powered devices, printer, scanner, etc.

Thoughts?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2008, 02:26 PM

PowerBook USB ports often have varying power levels to USB ports, some having more than others as you've found out. I think the Apple USB modem is one of these devices that requires it's own power to run whereas the powered devices don't so they don't suffer from this problem.

GFitzy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2008, 04:05 PM

understood, you would think Apple would have made a point of informing the user of this distinction for proper operation of the modem.

Cold Warrior
Apr 16, 2008, 06:22 PM

Off-topic, but I've noticed something similar in my SUV. One DC power outlet is only on when the vehicle is on. The other provides power regardless. Good to know if I want something to have power when I turn off the truck.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Off-topic, but I've noticed something similar in my SUV. One DC power outlet is only on when the vehicle is on. The other provides power regardless. Good to know if I want something to have power when I turn off the truck.
THAT they do on purpose. The USB issue I wonder about, I have the exact opposite problem. One of my devices will not ever work in the left port. That's despite being plugged into it's own external power source. Its a real pain in the ass.

In fact, not that I think of it, I have a flash drive that only works in one port or the other.

Forum Links
Forum Rules