Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is iSync history with MobileMe?

Is iSync history with MobileMe?
mjgrothaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2008, 09:16 AM

deleted
( Last edited by mjgrothaus; Jan 11, 2011 at 04:24 AM. )

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 10, 2008, 09:55 AM

Nope, because last I checked, I can't sync a Motorola RAZR with my MacBook via .Mac, but I can with iSync.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 11:47 AM

Knowing Apple, I wouldn't be surprised if they killed it.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 10:18 PM

They really should centralize all this. For the longest time, iSync, iTunes, .Mac sync all seem disparate. Now with Google Address book syncing, I get the sync item in my menu bar with .Mac options, even though I don't have .Mac. Weirdness. It kinda feels like Internet Connect did when it still existed....networking options were all over the place; now, they are centralized in system prefs like they should be.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 10:43 PM

iSync is a great tool that Apple has sorely neglected to due it's own conflict of interests. Ie, iSync should really be used for ALL syncing in Mac OS X, including iPods. But because they want iPod syncing to work on Windows, they run that through iTunes instead.

They run all sorts of other things through .Mac (soon to be MobileMe - blech name!). But of course that's completely useless to the many people who've bought Mac OS X, but are not interested in Apple's .Mac/MobileMe, or who don't want to pay the extra for it.

So what DO Apple do with iSync? It has so much unrealised potential, it really is very sad. It's been left entirely to 3rd parties to make use of it, but if Apple don't use it themselves, there's little motivation for others to do so.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 01:31 AM

iSync is apparently still developed in 10.6. Version 3.1 as opposed to 3.0.2 (10.5.3)

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 11, 2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
iSync is a great tool that Apple has sorely neglected to due it's own conflict of interests. Ie, iSync should really be used for ALL syncing in Mac OS X, including iPods. But because they want iPod syncing to work on Windows, they run that through iTunes instead.

They run all sorts of other things through .Mac (soon to be MobileMe - blech name!). But of course that's completely useless to the many people who've bought Mac OS X, but are not interested in Apple's .Mac/MobileMe, or who don't want to pay the extra for it.

So what DO Apple do with iSync? It has so much unrealised potential, it really is very sad. It's been left entirely to 3rd parties to make use of it, but if Apple don't use it themselves, there's little motivation for others to do so.
iTunes is a frickin' cancer. It became a cancer when it was ported to Windows. Instead of being smart about it and making iSync available to Windows users, they decided to make one huge mono-****ing-lithic app that handled music, video, and synching for contacts, photos, calendars and all sorts of other bullshit nonsense. And some of this bullshit nonsense migrated to the Mac because "iTunes has to offer the same experience on both Mac and PC". Bull-****ing-**** it does.

iTunes is a monster. A cancer. It's a Windows app.

1. iTunes should be trimmed down to handle only music (music and music videos)...the interface was and still is tailored to music (not so much for video)
2. Video should be handled by a new app (and merge DVD Player capabilities) iTunes reads CDs and can handle MP3s and AACs...perhaps iTheater should read DVDs and handle some popular video formats
3. Synching devices and iTunes Store should both be done outside of iTunes.

iTunes is already a huge mess...and it's not going to get any better if there isn't a change.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 10:26 AM

Yeah. You can forget about that. Once you've given a user a feature you can't take it back.

But then again... iMovie 08 was a hit wasn't it?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
[image snip]

iSync is apparently still developed in 10.6. Version 3.1 as opposed to 3.0.2 (10.5.3)
Interesting. Wonder what they're adding to it, if anything.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules