Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Using a form to generate a file...

Using a form to generate a file...
Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 01:29 AM

What I want to do:
1. Take the input from a form and generate a page according to a template.
2. Page must be a separate file, with a name generated on the fly.
3. Another page (essentially an index) must be updated with a link to the new file.

I'm not sure what the best way to do this is. I want to say php, but I read that php couldn't do the file manipulation I wanted. So, what should I do?

Form Here

redJag
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 04:21 AM

It's definitely possible with PHP. Check out their <A href="http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.filesystem.php">file system</A> related functions. They have what ya need, it's just a matter of implementing it. As far as whether or not PHP is the best choice, I don't know -- all I've used is PHP
Travis Sanderson

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2003, 03:04 AM

Have you tried any CGI sites on the web? That sounds like a task that you'd find 100 different perl scripts for.

I did a similar thing with ASP recently, I really wanted to use perl, and got a test script running on my Powerbook but whaddya know I couldn't get it to work on IIS.

si_lance
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2003, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Scarpa:
Have you tried any CGI sites on the web? That sounds like a task that you'd find 100 different perl scripts for.

I did a similar thing with ASP recently, I really wanted to use perl, and got a test script running on my Powerbook but whaddya know I couldn't get it to work on IIS.
I've gotten perl to work on IIS using ActiveState Perl.

Forum Links
Forum Rules