Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Downloading to iMovie

Downloading to iMovie
myfirstmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2004, 10:11 AM

Hi, I have a Canon A70 digital camera and I am not sure how to "download" the movie that I took with the camera into iMovie. I took a combo of movies and pictures and the pictures dowloaded fine into iPhoto, but when I launch iMovie, no "source" is recognized.

Any ideas here? The camera manual doesn't seem to be any help.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom

JKT
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 11:31 AM

If you can mount the Camera's "hard drive" on your Mac in the Finder, you should be able to locate the video file and copy it to your desktop, then use e.g. Quicktime Pro to edit it/display it/convert it to an iMovie compatible format (I suspect that the format of the captured video on your Camera won't be DV and therefore iMovie wouldn't import it anyway, FWIW).

N.B. I don't know if VLC or MPlayer would be able to do a format conversion or not, but if they can, they are free...

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2004, 01:51 PM

Let's see, I'm doing this from memory...

I use a Powershot S410. I opened Image Capture, and the movies are listed along with the photos in the Download Manually option. You download the movies (in AVI format) to the desktop.

If I remember correctly, I believe you are able to directly import these AVIs into iMovie by choosing the Import option from the File menu. iMovie can import a number of video formats, more than just DV, tho JKT said iMovie can only import DV? If that's what you meant, that's incorrect.

I was able to use a semi-crappy quality movie clip from my S410 in iMovie and even added it to a DVD along with a photo slideshow.

-Josh

JKT
Professional Poster
May 27, 2004, 06:36 AM

My bad, you are right, you can import other file formats (is that new to iMovie '04? I'm sure I couldn't do it in an earlier version when I tried... but that was some time ago now) - it just can't import them directly from the camera though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules