Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 3rd Gen ipod going nuts

3rd Gen ipod going nuts
myfirstmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2006, 12:01 PM

Hi everyone...I have a 3rd gen 10 gig ipod that is going nuts. Everything was working fine, except I noticed that my battery was running out fairly quickly and not holding a charge. I plugged my wife's new Nano into the computer and updated it without a problem. I believe that I also downloaded/installed the latest ipod updater. I then ejected the nano, and plugged in (via firewire) my ipod. I noticed that my preferences had returned, and it started to update my ipod. I went to bed. When I woke up the next morning, the computer was hanging (itunes was not responding and I couldn't force quit it)...I had to hard reboot the computer, and then all h*ll broke loose on the ipod. I tried to do an ipod update, but it kept on saying that it couldn't because there was an error. I tried to both update and then restore it..same thing. I also tried to repair the ipod with the disk utility...it says it is unable to do it...I tried to erase everything...nothing is working.

Finally the sound...the HD seems to be VERY loud...and initially it was just whirrling without stopping...then it would whirl with the apple logo and then the file folder logo apearing before it would slow down and stop, and then restart and do the same thing. Now it seems to be whirrling at startup with the apple logo and then I get the battery logo and it stops. I tired the apple diagnostics...everything seems to pass, except when I do the HD check it shows that it is starting, but then it never finishes. I made sure to do this with the ipod plugged into the computer so as to keep the power going. At one point it got VERY hot...still not PASS or FAIL...it just goes away.

Any ideas here? I had just purchased a new battery, but is a new HD in order too? Any chance it could be something else? I was going to bring it up to the apple store and see what they say, but I have no intention of spending $250 for them to fix it. What happens when a mother board goes?

Suggestions? I tried the 3 Rs to no avail.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 01:52 AM

Since your situation is kinda desperate I would suggest reforatting your ipod then putting on the latest firmware with the latest ipod updater but I have only reformatted my hard drive once and It didn't do anything so maybe it will work for you but maybe not I don't know. I would not take it into apple because they will just try to rip you off. I would seriously buy your ipod if you don't want it anymore. My email is [email protected] and my AIM is in my sig. Hope any of my advice helps or I would for real buy it from you if you want. .

myfirstmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2006, 10:55 PM

Thank you for the suggestion....I ended up replacing the hard drive...works like a charm now and I have 50% more space! I was surprised at how easy it was to replace the hard drive.

Thank you...Tom
Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules