Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Star Wars Rebels

Star Wars Rebels
reader50
Administrator
May 27, 2017, 01:47 PM

I'd avoided this because I had the impression it was kid-oriented. Disney-related CGI show suggested that. Turns out it works for kids and adults - credit the writers for good work. Some observations:

CGI could be better - they're not rendering hair separately in particular.

Imperial forces have terrible aim. To be fair, our heros should work on their aim too.

The Ghost interior and exterior layouts do not fully match. Spacial consistency issues in the pilot too. This is an old story with movies as well as TV.

My main reason for posting this. I was well into Season 3 when the light bulb finally went off. There are two gals in the Ghost crew. And not one, but both turn out to be runaway princesses. Or close equivalents. Talk about Disney stereotypes.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 27, 2017, 06:03 PM

Rebels is okay. Clone Wars (seasons 2+) have waaaay better writing and animation.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2017, 07:49 PM

I could never get into it since the outcome was pretty much known.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Sep 4, 2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Rebels is okay. Clone Wars (seasons 2+) have waaaay better writing and animation.
I checked out Clone Wars and have to agree.

I'd avoided Clone Wars for the same reason as Rebels - I'd gotten the impression it was a kids show. It's not. Some observations:

Rebels has some CGI improvements, particularly to facial smoothness and fingers being less square. But Rebels has far less detailed locations, and a typically smaller cast. Even the ships show it. Star Destroyers have more detail in Clone Wars than in Rebels, despite the later ones being bigger ships.

Everyone in Rebels is dressed very modestly since the Disney takeover. Even guest appearances from Clone Wars have been retconned with significant surgery. ie - holo record of Master Luminara Unduli while still alive at the end of the Clone Wars. Has apparently had major hip reduction surgery. Twi'leks dress more modestly too, and the camera never shows locations where they are common. ie socially on Ryloth or any location on Coruscant.

I'm wishing Lucas had held off on selling Lucasfilm for another couple years. We'd miss out on the one good sequel (Rogue One), but Clone Wars seasons 6-8 would have been completed. All three seasons were in some stage of development.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2017, 01:13 PM

I watched the first 2 seasons with my son, but I was never very impressed. It felt like it couldn't commit to a target audience. It wasn't really fun enough for kids and it wasn't sophisticated enough for adults.

Plus, I thought the animation and character designs were pretty bad. At the time, we were also watching the recent Ninja Turtles reboot, which I found way way way more entertaining.

The contrast in quality between the fight scenes was simply staggering. It was like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon vs a bad 70s cop show or something. Rebels looked laughable in comparison, even though I'm sure it had a way bigger budget.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2017, 02:45 PM

Pretty sure from all I've heard Rebels has a much smaller budget.

Forum Links
Forum Rules