Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 i-Book when?

G4 i-Book when?
hoopla2000
Sep 19, 2002, 04:11 PM

Hi there, I belive it's been asked mo' than once before but when will new G4 i-book come out? A friend of mine wants to buy an i-book real bad now but i'm suggestin to wait till Apple comes out with G4 i-book sometime soon. I really don't think it's smart to buy a G3 i-book at this point when all other macs r out with G4... He needs to be convinced that new i-book will be released at least by the end of this year. thanks.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2002, 06:05 PM

not ... gonna ... happen ...

Just pay the extra $700 for the tiBook if you really want a G4. The iBook is not going to a G4 processor anytime this year.
MacBook Pro

james_squared
Sep 19, 2002, 06:38 PM

Hello,

I agree. Not this year. Hopefully, third or forth quarter next year. They just updated the speed in May to 700 and there have been reports that Apple is very fond of the G3 and they believe it still has a lot of life in it. They also updated the video card to 16MB in May, too. Also, I think there are heat problems associated with the G4 that make it unsuitable for the iBook at this current time.

James

euphras
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 02:32 PM

The IBM G3 is able to run at <1Ghz. They will not gonna put in an G4 as soon

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2002, 10:09 AM

The Based on the amount of heat the current COOL G3 processor uses in Jaguar, I'm not sure how they will get a G4 to function without the unit melting down! However, that issue not withstanding, the G4 will appear when a SuperDrive is designed to fit into laptops.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2002, 10:43 AM

Apple won't put a G4 into the iBook until they are forced to. At their current price level, they aren't as profitable as the Ti's, and they won't cannibalize Ti sales by cheaper iBooks, which would happen if processing power was close to the same. Apple's attitude is: "You want a G4 laptop? Then pay us twice as much and buy a Ti!"

I think G4's will appear in iBooks when one of 2 things happen: 1) apps debut that can't run on a G3, or 2) they "hit the wall" of G3 processor speed, making periodic speed-bumps impossible.

iBorg

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2002, 11:47 AM

No G4 for awhile.....

The current 750Fx G3 kicks butt. Technically its a better chip than the 7455 (aside from Altivec). 512k L2, .13nm, 200Mhz bus (capable of).
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2002, 07:52 AM

i doubt they would go to G4, but there's a good chance the iBook will be updated anyway before the year is over. maybe 800MHz G3? it was updated in May and October last year, and in May 2002 again. so it's due for an update.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2002, 11:41 AM

I would like for them to have G4's, even if they are the 667 and higher.

Though if the G3 was made faster in the iBook's and they put Radeon 9000 Mobility chipsets into them...I'd pick one up so fast.

Forum Links
Forum Rules