Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > AppleCare

AppleCare
fleabag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2011, 12:59 PM

I was wondering if one has AppleCare and later has to take there iMac in for problems and Apple Store decides to replace your iMac with another one will the AppleCare you originally bought continue to cover the newer unit?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2011, 01:02 PM

Yes, but the time isn't extended beyond the initial three years.

Exception: replacement parts generally come with their own warranty - 90 days, I believe -, so if you get repairs/replacement done under AppleCare shortly before the three years are up, the replaced parts can be under warranty longer than three years from the initial purchase of the machine.

fleabag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2011, 01:07 PM

Thank you Spheric Harlot for the answer to my question. I thought this might be the case but still better to ask any way.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2011, 11:39 PM

As a rule, if Apple replaces your whole machine it will not have Applecare by default. I have known people get cover extended on replacements but I don't know if it was transferred or a new APP attached. Either way I suspect you'd have to ask for it. Thats how it is in the UK anyway.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

fleabag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2011, 08:45 AM

Thank you Waragainstsleep for your info. Yes I agree I must remember to ask Apple if this ever happens to me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
As a rule, if Apple replaces your whole machine it will not have Applecare by default. I have known people get cover extended on replacements but I don't know if it was transferred or a new APP attached. Either way I suspect you'd have to ask for it. Thats how it is in the UK anyway.
Are you sure?

I've never had an entire computer outright replaced under AppleCare, but the replacement iPod I have was shown as "covered", with the warranty expiration date staying the same as for the original device.

fleabag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2011, 04:15 PM

I can't remember which web site that I read this from but more than once did I read that Apple Store actually gave person a new replacement iMac but then this is hear say unless one can prove the story is truthfull.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2011, 04:47 PM

No no no - that much isn't up for discussion. If a box is under warranty and a repair not worth doing, the machine is replaced. Occasionally, Apple do this after three major defects, as well (if you ask nicely).

The question is whether the original AppleCare then applies to the replacement machine. Waragainstsleep appears to think it doesn't. That is incorrect, AFAIK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules