Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The best thing God has done is stop some chalk from breaking...

The best thing God has done is stop some chalk from breaking... (Page 3)
Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2004, 10:24 AM

Previous 2 pages contains lots of believers who are mad at God - and a handful of believers that love God.

You folks aren't fooling anybody with your anti-Christian rants. You believe, alright.

Chuckmcd
Senior User
Sep 28, 2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Yes, that is a fairly large hole in christianity (many religions actually): Prayer has no effect. Sometimes there's a "miracle", other times not. In a completely random fashion.
Why is this a whole in Christianity? The Bible never teaches that you effect outcomes by your prayers... God is who God is, and what He wills, or allows to happen will happen. Our desires, or prayers have little, or nothing to do with getting our own way.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 28, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Speaking as a Christian, that's got to be one of the most absurd stories I've ever heard. So the professor's hand slipped once in twenty years; that means nothing. Of course, one might see this simple test as proof or disproof of some form of childish belief in God-as-Santa-Claus, but even among the fundamentalists most Christians have a more mature concept of God than that.

Granted, the professor seems to have been a complete jerk. Intentionally and patently berating students' religions is, last I checked, considered quite unprofessional. However, I have a strong suspicion that this story is fabricated anyway.
Hmmmm?...it's a story, not unlike the stories in the bible.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 28, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Previous 2 pages contains lots of believers who are mad at God - and a handful of believers that love God.

You folks aren't fooling anybody with your anti-Christian rants. You believe, alright.

Belief in God and Jesus are two different things. You don't have to believe that this guy Jesus was THEE God in the flesh to believe or have faith in a supreme entity that hasn't dozed off or died long ago.

busterhide
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 02:08 AM

Jesus is coming, Look busy.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by busterhide:
Jesus is coming, Look busy.
I know a lesbian with a T-Shirt that says that.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

busterhide
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 02:15 AM

Wow thats where I saw it too.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2004, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:
Hey Xeo, I don't think I said this paragraph which you replied to above. Just wanted to point it out, not sure who wrote it though.

cheers.
You're right, sorry. An error in my copy and paste. I meant to replace your name with the actual author but failed and didn't notice. Sorry.

*not racist*
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 03:06 AM

Poor guy
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2004, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
You're right, sorry. An error in my copy and paste. I meant to replace your name with the actual author but failed and didn't notice. Sorry.
Hey that's cool, happens to most of us.

thanks.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 29, 2004, 07:01 AM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2004, 10:57 AM

Oh, wow. Another "God" thread started by an atheist biggot. Who'da thunk it?

They have their own beliefs already.

It's apparent they believe in God, but are too mad and/or ashamed to admit it.

You cannot show a strong interest in something while saying you have no interest in it at all. It's disingenuous and it's quite obvious to the casual observer.
True atheists, I know quite a few, don't think about God or gods, they couldn't care less. It's not a subject that they even have a remote interest in. Most self-proclaimed atheists on this forum, however, bitch, grouse, and spew venom about the subject to the point where you know they have fears. In the deepest parts of themselves they believe that there is some type of God and it scares them. Why? Because they fear for their own independence and fear that they're going to be judged. "How dare anything judge me? I'm my own person!" etc..

Fact is, you don't attack something unless you fear it, and for you to fear it, it has to be real to you, at least at some very basic level. *sigh* Always makes me chuckle and shake my head.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by *not racist*:
Poor guy
poor "atheists".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by MacNStein:

Fact is, you don't attack something unless you fear it, and for you to fear it, it has to be real to you, at least at some very basic level. *sigh* Always makes me chuckle and shake my head.
Sounds like you fear Atheists

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 11:36 AM

Fact is, you don't attack something unless you fear it, and for you to fear it, it has to be real to you, at least at some very basic level.
not quite.

a lot of public policies are a direct result of commonly held beliefs and cultural discourse.

many laws, and even simple every day gestures and occurrences hinge on whether people hold as their core belief the existence of a higher being or a deity, by whose "laws" people should live. (see christianity, islam).

that's why you rarely see a nasty dispute between a "wiccan" or a believer some kind of insignificant "naturalist" religion, and an atheist.

i don't know of a single atheist or agnostic, who actually argues against the establishment or existence of religion (god) on a personal and spiritual level. atheists, in general, just don't seem to be that messianic.

if christianity played the role right now, that it did 2000 years ago, you'd hardly hear people arguing against it. - it would be romans, fiercly, defending the existence of jupiter, juno, neptune and pluto...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2004, 11:37 AM

*plonk*

-t

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 29, 2004, 12:55 PM

Oh, wow. Another "God" thread started by an atheist biggot. Who'da thunk it?

I know amazing!

I think some people forgot about this little ditty that was posted not too long ago.
Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
This has been mentioned before, but some people don't seem to get the message: take your religious debate elsewhere. THIS IS A ****ING MAC FORUM. People are getting sick of it. I'm getting sick of. Let it go or leave.

Yet people still do it, and nothing gets said about it. Lots of talk, no action.

True atheists, I know quite a few, don't think about God or gods, they couldn't care less.

Same here. They also have no problems with others that are religious.

It's not a subject that they even have a remote interest in. Most self-proclaimed atheists on this forum, however, bitch, grouse, and spew venom about the subject to the point where you know they have fears. In the deepest parts of themselves they believe that there is some type of God and it scares them. Why? Because they fear for their own independence and fear that they're going to be judged. "How dare anything judge me? I'm my own person!" etc..

Same here. I am not too hip on a lot of religious ideals. Esp organized religion. But for some reason, I don't feel the need to post thread after thread bashing it to reassure my beliefs on the matter.

Because that is what doing that is about. Reassuring ones doubts.

Spliff hit it on the nail.

But of course you'll never get anyone that does this to admit to that. Part of the denial.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 01:00 PM

God loves spiritual fruit, not religious nuts. I read this while driving by a church near my house, and coudln't stop chuckling for five minutes.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 29, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
God loves spiritual fruit, not religious nuts. I read this while driving by a church near my house, and coudln't stop chuckling for five minutes.
That is pretty good.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2004, 01:14 PM

The true athiests at MacNN won't be found posting in religious threads. It won't interest them enough to warrant a comment.

Only believers and wannabelievers™ are attracted to these threads.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Sounds like you fear Atheists
True atheists are fine, got no problem with them. The type of "atheist" that's so vocal here on MacNN, however... I just pity them.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2004, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
not quite.

a lot of public policies are a direct result of commonly held beliefs and cultural discourse.

many laws, and even simple every day gestures and occurrences hinge on whether people hold as their core belief the existence of a higher being or a deity, by whose "laws" people should live. (see christianity, islam).

that's why you rarely see a nasty dispute between a "wiccan" or a believer some kind of insignificant "naturalist" religion, and an atheist.

i don't know of a single atheist or agnostic, who actually argues against the establishment or existence of religion (god) on a personal and spiritual level. atheists, in general, just don't seem to be that messianic.

if christianity played the role right now, that it did 2000 years ago, you'd hardly hear people arguing against it. - it would be romans, fiercly, defending the existence of jupiter, juno, neptune and pluto...
But, you misunderstand. I'm not talking about those who attack Christians and other theists, I'm talking about those who say "**** God", "God can kiss my ***", etc..

Most Wiccans don't get into theistic debates, largely because even they don't know where they stand... or they feel oppressed by other types of theists and side with the atheists just so they can get their jabs in.
- Thomas Paine

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 29, 2004, 02:50 PM

I think some people don't really know WHY they hate Christianity so much. I think they believe they have valid reasons, but I don't think they really know what the cause is.

That hate comes from some place.

And when I say Christianity, I am not talking about select Christians.

Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 10:19 PM

I tried that chalk thing today also, no dice.

That is all the proof I need as I don't see anything to the contrary.

*not racist*
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 03:51 AM

poor "atheists".
MacNStein
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 04:01 AM

But, you misunderstand. I'm not talking about those who attack Christians and other theists, I'm talking about those who say "**** God", "God can kiss my ***", etc..
LOL. and who said that? (especially here at macnn).

that's just silly.

Most Wiccans don't get into theistic debates, largely because even they don't know where they stand...
you can insert any other "non-major, non-messianic" sect, or religion here. when one steps into a debate on atheism, it's usually a "christian, muslim or jew" arguing.

why? because your argument works both ways. real "believers" know the existence of god, and they "know" that atheists are lacking in faith, so why argue?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2004, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by *not racist*:
MacNStein
I know, I am saddened by them sometimes.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2004, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
LOL. and who said that? (especially here at macnn).

that's just silly.

Whos said that?

"**** god�" - Ambush
- Thomas Paine

hayesk
Sep 30, 2004, 10:51 AM

Nobody on the planes lived nor anyone in the upper levels on the collapsing buildings. You know they were praying. Guess he isn't as powerful as we are lead to believe.
Sorry, I don't buy that as an argument against religion. Who says God has to save the life of everyone who prays?

God can neither be proved nor disproved. People should just get over it and let people believe if they want to.

Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 10:54 AM

Mad at God? More like people who don't believe he is real.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
God can neither be proved nor disproved. People should just get over it and let people believe if they want to.
I agree. It would be nice if everyone thought that. Then the issues of civil rights could be resolved.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2004, 11:23 AM

Mad at God? More like people who don't believe he is real.
For someone who doesn't think he's real, you sure talk about him a lot. Don't you consider that odd?
- Thomas Paine

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2004, 11:28 AM

For someone who doesn't think he's real, you sure talk about him a lot. Don't you consider that odd?
SMACKDOWN

Because StarWars dude has never started a thread about the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus - but he creates a daily thread about other fictitious beings - like God.

He's a believer alright. May as well tattoo it across his forehead where it would be less obvious.

Forum Links
Forum Rules