Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Brand new TiBook for $1800

Brand new TiBook for $1800
twil13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 06:45 PM

Hi all! This is my first post here, but I have been looking on the forums for roughly a month now, since I am thinking of getting my first mac product. I plan on getting a revised 17" or a new aluminum 15". About the title of this post, you all read it correctly. I talked to a friend of mine and he told me that our college computer store was able to get a really good deal on the existing TiBooks. If they get 25 people to order, then Apple will sell them for $1800 each! This is an insanely good deal, or at least better than I have seen anywhere. I am not going to jump on this and get one, because I REALLY want a 970 in my PB What this news lead my friend and I to believe, was that Apple is really trying to get rid of their stock of TiBooks they have right now. I just thought it was an exciting thought and wanted to share it with you all. My friend talked to his buddy at an Apple store in chicago about the upcoming PB's but he didnt know anything, even being an employee of Apple's. He also said the $1800 price tag is $300 less than the employee discount he gets. Hope this didnt sound too jumbled, and I for one am optimistic about the 970 being released this august or semptember.

Tony

cucswiz
Apr 24, 2003, 06:55 PM

Actually this has been going on for at least 2-3 weeks already. From what I heard, Apple has reduced the price they are selling Ti's to resellers ($1799 from what i heard) - however, this doesn't mean the reseller will necessarily pass alone the discounts to you ... plus do you have to pay tax for the 1800?

Getting back on topic. Actually I just picked up a Ti Gigabook (2099 total - 2144 shipped). Even though I would be a little pissed if the 15" Al books came out soon, I'd love to see them with 970 and everything else... However, realistically I'm not sure if its going to come out that soon (for all the standard reasons - 17"Al etc etc)... I just couldn't stand waiting anymore

Anyhow - here's to happy wishing

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2003, 07:40 PM

I just read that the 15" Powerbook is due out May 19th in the US. (Hmm..what was the name of that site again....hmm..) This is prolly why Apple wants to clear out the TiBooks. Sounds like a good deal regardless.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 07:56 PM

The site was probably ThinkSecret (www.thinksecret.com) as they have been spreading this May 19th rumor for awhile (at least their forums have).

As for the validity of it-- I don't believe it for a second. For one thing, May 19th is a Monday-- and Apple usually (well... always) releases on a Tuesday.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2003, 09:17 PM

XRaid was released on a Monday.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 06:28 AM

and it looks like their new Music Service/iPods are gonna be released this Monday as well.

eScrib
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2003, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by cucswiz:
Actually I just picked up a Ti Gigabook (2099 total - 2144 shipped).

NEW??? From where???

Forum Links
Forum Rules