Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What do you guys think about this deal...

What do you guys think about this deal...
efru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 01:16 AM

I'm currently in negotiation with a guy overseas for a 17" powerbook for $1000. Here are some of the emails..

============================================
All items are brand new, sealed in their original
boxes.
All software is US english and is not loaded: it
comes on the original installation CDs.
Operating systems included are Mac OS 9 and Mac OS
X Jaguar.
I will send you the product through UPS after I will
have received from my bank a confirmation of payment.
To make the payment you just need to call your bank
to order the transfer to my account.
Here you have all details your bank will require to
complete the transaction:

Name: !!!!!!!!!!!!
Account number: ###########
Bank: BANK AUSTRIA CREDITANSTALT
Bank address: 1100 Wien, Favoritenstrasse 239
Bank code: 12000
Swiftaddress: BKAUATWW
My address: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If by any reason you're not satisfied, you have two
weeks to return it to me and you'll get your money
back or another item.
I have to remind you that I have more customers and if
you are really interested let me know and I'll hold the
item for you because I'm selling them on a first come
first served basis.

Best regards,
<name>

====================================

ANOTHER EMAIL

About the payment, I'll not accept escrow.
Bank transfer is the only payment method I accept
because to buy all this stuff, I've made a loan with
my bank and I am forced to get all the payments through
them. You know, banks, taxes, VAT and all those things
who makes our lifes bitter.
I feel as if 50% of everything I do is simply to keep
people employed in government offices so that they can
send me nasty letters and fine me when I'm late in
replying/sending them money.
Selling computers is not something I do for living.
I just got a great deal on this Apple stuff and I'm
trying to sell it the easyest way.
All sellers on Ebay ask payment first.
My mail gives you all my details: my name, my bank
account and my home address.
My Mac email account is a registered one, I've payed
it using my credit card.
I've used my credit card to register on Ebay.
I think this is legitimate enough.
I didn't ask you to send me the money through Western
Union or Money Gram, I've asked you to work through a
bank, a legal and also easy to track method of payment.
I understand your concerns to send money overseas
but I can tell you only that I'll not risk my freedom
and reputation signing up for the money and keeping
them without sending the item to you.
Austria is not some third world country, without laws,
if you check you'll find out that we have a very high
standard of life and also severe punishment for
internet fraud so you don't need to worry about
anything, you'll get what you're paying for.
Anyway, if you are really interested, confirm your
order and I'll hold for you the requested G4 Powerbook.
Just let me know.

================================================== =====

I'm not positive, but I do not think this guy is a scam artist. It would be very easy to track this guy due to the money transferring straight from my bank to his bank. What do you guys think? Has anyone ever been caught in this type of deal before? (your bank -->his bank)

Thanks guys
Aaron

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2003, 01:23 AM

$1000 for a 17" PB?
You are nuts it you think that this guy is legit. Don't risk it. Sounds extremely fishy.

Does the 17" even able to boot into OS9?

efru  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 01:48 AM

I know but he wanted the money transfer straight through both of our banks, which is very easy to trace.

Are there any loopholes I'm not thinking of by transferring straight through our banks?

Thanks Cake for the response

Aaron

macfreshman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 02:00 AM

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a credit card for online transactions!!!!

Anyone who sends cash to a total stranger is completely insane.

efru  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 02:02 AM

Oh i know, i'd be pulling this straight out of my checking account to his account, NO cash involved whatsoever.

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2003, 02:08 AM

Are you still even considering this?
It's easy to open a bank account under a fake name and address.

I'm going to sit back and have a very hearty laugh when you end up like this guy.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2003, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by efru:
I'm not positive, but I do not think this guy is a scam artist.

macfreshman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 03:42 AM

Umm, what do you have to put into your bank account? Isn't it cash?

Hello! Paying with a wire transfer is exactly the same as sending cash!!!

ONLY BUY STUFF WITH A CREDIT CARD - no wire transfer, no cash in an envelope, no money order, no checks, no western union!!!

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2003, 04:49 AM

I'd like to tell you, "wow, what a terrific deal you've found, go for it..." but that would be just like telling you to go shred $1000 USD and flush it down the toilet. Would you do that? If you would then, well, "go for it."

Think about this with me logically. Where do you think this guy was able to "legitimately" purchase a 17" powerbook for LESS than $1000. I mean, he's not doing this for free, right? He's making something for his efforts. Apple's hardware has very little markup for retailers. Ask any retailer, they'll tell you. No retailer is buying these things at even two and a half times that price.

He's using classic psychological sales tactics on you here. "Better get it for the next guy does" type of thing is designed to make you want it before someone else gets it. Don't fall for this. It's a killer.

And this guy is not even in the U.S. Think about what your recouse will be if he does rip you off. What are you gonig to do, call the Austrian police on him. Nope. There's nothing wrong with Austria, but there's crooks in every country. It's hard enough to try and get your do from someone that does you wrong in THIS country let alone someone that you've never met in another country.

And if this were legit, don't you think everyone would be buying these laptops this way? Have you heard of anyone else that has done this?

No, I really think this is a case of "if it looks to good to be true, then it probably is." Sorry, don't do this. Millions of trusting folks get suckered into these kinds of things that "really sound legit" every day. Don't be one of them.
( Last edited by wanderlust; Jun 3, 2003 at 04:58 AM. )

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2003, 05:05 AM

It's a scam!

The guy could sell it to his Austrian neighbour for more than $1000 couldn't he? If he could, why it he selling it to you far far away?

Why not send me $50, and see how difficult it would be to get it back.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 06:03 AM

It's a Scam, stay away.

17" PB didn't ship with any OS9 disks, nor does it even boot into OS9 - that's warning enough to stay away.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2003, 07:28 AM

I forgot to mention, I have a BigAl. It comes with one installation DVD, not multiple CDs like the 12". He indicated it comes "with all of the installation CD's". Makes it sound even more fishy. Also, why is he so keen on selling it to someone at $1000 when he could do much better on eBay where transactions are a little more solid.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2003, 07:33 AM

I would also avoid such a deal like the SARS, my scam filter goes:

(1) Overseas - ABORT!
(2) Doesn't accept credit cards - ABORT!
(3) ...
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

efru  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 11:06 AM

Alright thanks guys, the only way i'm going to go through is if i have the package in my hands first, then i'll send him the money. Just about the only real safe way to go.

djjava
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 11:21 AM

if it is too good to be true, it usually is...
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by djjava:
if it is too good to be true, it usually is...
agreed. i remember a post in this thread somwhere about someone who tried going through a guy to get a PB cheaper and got screwed....

i'd rather go through apple and be secure.
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

urrl5201
Jun 3, 2003, 11:47 AM

I have sold quite a few items on my web page

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

such as Canon GL2 camcorders, digital camera, etc and these people sent checks for which I waited to clear before sending the merchandise. Why did they trust me? First I gave super deals and second I was not out of the country and third I posted home pics of the items; not shots lifted from a manufacturer's website. I also gave my phone number, job number and home address to make them feel secure and of course send the check. These are the things to look for when sending funds other than a credit card.

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2003, 11:59 AM

This guy's spending a *lot* of time giving you all the reasons why he's legit.....slightly reminiscient of the Nigerian bank account scam (innnteresting....). Also, an Austrian bank account doesn't necessarily mean a person that lives in Austria. Hell, he could be in Malaysia or Wales or whatever. Even though Austria does have an excellent criminal justice system, if anything went wrong you'd get so caught up in bureaucracy that you'd probably only see a fraction of the money back, if at all.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

sirlexelot
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2003, 12:02 PM

To the guy who's sold a bunch of stuff on his website incl. digi-cameras, etc, I say I still wouldn't trust you farther than my arms could reach out to pick up the merchandise. Nothing personal, just common sense.

My roomate got scammed out of $1100 earlier this year by a guy who wanted to buy a paintball gun from him. The guy gave him home address, home phone, business phone/address, documents proving that his small business was legit, talked to him on the phone several times, and still scammed him hard.

I whole-heartedly agree with the person who said CREDIT CARDS ONLY. If it purchase is for more money than you're casually willing to lose, then only buy with a CC. The internet is overflowing with @$$holes, let's be honest. You have to protect yourself.

Lastly, as for this PB17" for $1000, this guy isn't even trying! A decent scam artist would at LEAST have a reasonable price and an explanation for why he's giving it away for less than retail. At the very BEST, that laptop is stolen, and at the worst (and most likely), it just doesn't exist. So yeah, just don't do it!!
SirLexelot
10gig iPod, iPod Shuffle
Dual G4 867mhz Tower

xtro
Jun 3, 2003, 12:18 PM

You should buy a few of them. The price is amazing. Plus, I kind of like those "Mac users unite to find scammer" type of stories. It's time for a new one. Maybe someone living there can post pics of his trailer.

urrl5201
Jun 3, 2003, 12:20 PM

LOL, Frankly I wouldn't trust a guy on the internet like me either with an amount over say $200 but the fact is many do it sucessfully every day. Just letting you know that not everyone is so suspicious. One lady seemed to be in a panic when her GL2 camcorders did not arrive in time. When they did she called again because she thought one was defective; it was simply a cam adjustment she discovered later. Things can work out and there are honest folks in this world; it's just a matter of getting as much info as possible and making a decision if you want the item. There are some real crooks out there too.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2003, 01:21 PM

Alright thanks guys, the only way i'm going to go through is if i have the package in my hands first, then i'll send him the money. Just about the only real safe way to go.
Believe it or not, even that isn't safe. I've heard of scams whereby the scammer somehow manages to order an item in the scamee's name. The item comes and the person is happy, so they pay their money, only to find a bill for the entire retail price arriving a few days/weeks later. My point is that there is no way you are getting such a large discount a new powerbook. Repeat after me. If you think you can buy something that was just released, for less than 1/3 the retail price, maybe you deserve to get taken. Maybe you'll learn something.

Karim
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 01:36 PM

I guarantee that if you buy it you will be posting here in less than a month.

The title of your post will be:

"HELP ME---I HAVE BEEN SCREWED"

I guarantee it.

xtro
Jun 3, 2003, 04:14 PM

This is probably the scammer posting here, hoping that some of us will ask "dude, give me his email please, that's a crazy wicked deal!!!".

efru  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 04:39 PM

yeaaaa

xtro
Jun 3, 2003, 04:48 PM

Whatever dude, if you actually think you're going to get a freaking 17" PowerBook for a thousand bucks, go for it. Did you actually think we'd all say it sounded legit? My god.

efru  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 05:21 PM

Holy sh!t, i just joined this board a day ago and I'm already sick of all the insults. I asked very politely a question on what your thoughts were and about 95% of the people replied back with cocky responses. What an immature forum.

xtro
Jun 3, 2003, 06:17 PM

Immature is thinking that you can get a $3300 laptop for $1000. Honestly.

justinf77
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2003, 06:18 PM

Holy sh!t, i just joined this board a day ago and I'm already sick of all the insults. I asked very politely a question on what your thoughts were and about 95% of the people replied back with cocky responses. What an immature forum.
You are bound to get immature replies to an immature question. Think logically about what you asked, then realize there is no need to ask. $1000 for a normally $3200 item. It is a PowerBook, a product that has MANY online scams surrounding it. Why would he sell to you if he could sell it on eBay for $3000? And how did you find this guy anyway?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2003, 06:19 PM

Sorry dude, you're right. Let me try again...

"Wow! What a fantastic deal! And to think you are getting it for over 2/3rds off! I'd go for it right away. Don't pay any attention to the nay-sayers who tell you that wiring money overseas to someone you don't know is stupid -- they're just jealous because they're too timid to get in on this KILLER DEAL!"

Honestly, we are just trying to help you avoid getting taken. If you don't appreciate that, then by all means, wire this person your money. I'd love to hear from you when your brand-new computer comes...

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2003, 06:35 PM

Hang on there. You did the right thing and asked a group of like-minded folks what they thought about this deal. And they told you! For the most part, they're not dissing on you, they're looking out for you best interest, as they would hope others would look out for theres. Don't take offense at any of these posts. To many who have been scammed or have seen others so much like themselves be scammed, red flags go up much faster than for those who have not been. That's what's going on here. Not an attack on you. I personally welcome your question since it strengthens the legitimacy of this community and allows us all to learn something while doing it.

So, thanks for asking us here!

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2003, 08:30 PM

If you think this is bad, try SpyMac. It's an Internet thing, not just a MacNN or SpyMac thing. There are lots of passive aggressive shut-ins looking to build up their egos by attacking people on the Net.

I remember years ago in the 90's where you could go post in newsgroups and feel a sense of community, people were for the most part civil and friendly. Sure you had a bad apple now and then, but these days you can't post anything on the Net without getting attacked.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

efru  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 09:41 PM

That was when the Net was too hard to be used by 12 year olds.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:

I remember years ago in the 90's where you could go post in newsgroups and feel a sense of community, people were for the most part civil and friendly. Sure you had a bad apple now and then, but these days you can't post anything on the Net without getting attacked.
I totally agree that there are often too many people attacking others for no good reason on the internet in general, but Macnn is generally relatively friendly (outside of the Lounge/Politics forums). and I think we have a pretty good sense of community too. It's just that this is the fourth time someone has come in the last month or two asking this exact same question, and frankly this is the one that was most obviously a scam.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 01:14 AM

If you're still wondering try the following:

Tell the scammer that you'll be in Austria next month, fortnight, week on a business trip, visiting the Salzburg Festival, meeting your aunt Heidi. You'll give him the cash, he'll give you the PB.

Prepare never to see another email from the scammer again. I've got to say, even assuming that you could possibly buy a PB for 1/3 of the price shows a certain naivet�.

mixtup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2003, 01:17 AM

Don't be discouraged. People are just looking out for you. I just joined the forum and everyone's been great. I would say this is one (if not the) best Mac forums out there. Really, stick around, people want to help.

Hope you stick around.
"That was very true, he thought. There was a direct, intimate connection between chastity and political orthodoxy." -Orwell

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Jun 4, 2003, 08:16 AM

I had a look at ebay (UK) and just saw an amazing deal, a PB 1', fully loaded, for less than �1, only a day to go on the auction too. would I go for it? no way.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&category=4606

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Jun 4, 2003, 08:18 AM

Sorry, that shoiuld read PB 17'.

If it remains at such a low price though, I might give it a shot, don't mind losing a couple of quid for the laugh.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2003, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by SubGeniux:
I had a look at ebay (UK) and just saw an amazing deal, a PB 1', fully loaded, for less than �1, only a day to go on the auction too. would I go for it? no way.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&category=4606
Damn, they included everything but the kitchen sink with that.

People will often build up feedback by buying items instead of selling, or by selling very cheap items. Then after a while they switch to the big-ticket items. And of course hijacking of ebay accounts for this kind of thing is pretty common too.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2003, 08:32 AM

I know, Seems unbelievable, I was thinking that the short time for the bid to close andthe cheap price might be to get people bidding now, then at the last hour, bump the price right up, but by then some folks will be caught up in the whole bidding thing and forget that the bargain that it was no longer exists. But then again, it could be one ofthose crazy deals we all doubt, but actually is, keping a cool head and going for it might be the answer, god knows. lol

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2003, 08:34 AM

If it it really is the real deal, I'd go and pick it up pesonally, I'm in scotland and the seller is in Holland, I think, so a �50 flight from here to there and still come out trumps.

dettociao
Senior User
Jun 4, 2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by SubGeniux:
If it it really is the real deal, I'd go and pick it up pesonally, I'm in scotland and the seller is in Holland, I think, so a �50 flight from here to there and still come out trumps.
It isn't.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2003, 09:01 PM

I know, my better judgement kicked in pretty quickly, for a split second nearly ended up thinking like a madman.

Forum Links
Forum Rules