Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > WEP performance hit on DSL?

WEP performance hit on DSL?
Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2003, 05:32 PM

Not sure how to put this...

When I set up my mr814 on my new DSL I went with not broadcasting the net's ID and restricting it to my AP card's MAC address. I left WEP off as I didn't want to take the performance hit.

Now I wonder...

Is the hit restricted to the LAN side?

I mean, is the crypto done in the router hardware? How bad is the hit? Since DSL (1.5 mbps) can't come close to even real-world 11.b specs of ~5mbps, does WAN throughput really drop with DSL. I could see it slowing a really fast cable or 4-5mbps DSL connection, but generic 1.5mbps?

Obviously, I haven't had time to think much about this, so flame away.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 07:51 PM

I have the same router set up the same way. WEP i don't think will really have much effect on internet speeds, but to create a password you have to use a long string of random letters. Its not just a simple password you choose like when going from Mac to Mac. Thats why I just don't broadcast and restrict MAC addresses.

Forum Links
Forum Rules