Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anybody have any luck getting Combo drive out of a G5?

Anybody have any luck getting Combo drive out of a G5?
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 09:00 PM

I'm following the instructions, but the drive is really hard to get out. I've unhooked the IDE cable from the mobo, flipped the 2 switches that hold the drive in towards me, and then placed my fingers in the slot where the IDE cable snakes upwards and pulled and pulled but the drive doesn't budge. Any ideas?

edit: I tried doing a search, but there seems to be problems with the database.

thevideojunkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 02:32 AM

I got my combo drive out last night, but it was really tough to get it to budge. Don't blame me if you break something... but here's what I did.

After following Apple's instructions exactly and the drive still not budging, I lowered the front drive door of the G5 case with my finger and stuck a screwdriver in there. I let the screwdriver rest in the notch of the combo drive's drawer and gave the screwdriver a (slight) wack with a hammer.

The combo drive came right out. Hit the screwdriver (or whatever) too hard, and it'll shoot right out of there, so be gentle.

Now I'm waiting for the FedEx man to bring my Pioneer DVD-RW tomorrow, and I will see how it fits inside the G5 case. I'm hoping it works, and if so I will use the combo drive in my PC.

-Q-
Dec 15, 2003, 11:54 AM

Wow. I'm so never bring a hammer anywhere near my G5.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2003, 05:35 PM

Just tried the screwdriver, no luck. Will try again when my nerve is back up.

thevideojunkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 06:06 PM

I know what you mean. Just keep the power tools away from your G5! This is stating the obvious, but do make sure you have the two latches open. I'm sure you do, because my combo drive was stuck in place very tightly. There's no way that thing was coming out of there with just my fingers.

Today, my Pioneer 105 arrived, and I installed it with no problems. I had read about the feet "spacers" being wrong for some drives, but the Pioneer fit perfectly into my G5 using the feet off the combo drive. For the record, my the combo drive that came in my machine is a Toshiba. You will have to remove the plastic bezel (or whatever it's called) from the end of the new drive's drawer to allow it to work inside the G5. It just slips right off.

I have just burned one test DVD-R using iDVD, and the Pioneer 105 works great. I picked up the 105 for $90, and I think my credit for downgrading to the combo drive was something like $200. So I came out ahead and have an extra combo drive for my efforts. I upgraded my dual 2 G5 to a 250mb hard drive for $125 from Apple, I think, and I deleted the modem for some small amount. Now the combo drive goes to my PC. It's missing the drawer cover, but no biggie.

thevideojunkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by thevideojunkie:
This is stating the obvious, but do make sure you have the two latches open.
Nevermind the obvious. I reread your original message and see you do have the latches open.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2003, 06:11 PM

No worries....did you use the screwdriver method?

Forum Links
Forum Rules