Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Voice chat using VPC ?

Voice chat using VPC ?
Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2003, 12:58 AM

*This is a copy from 'Networking". I'm getting no response there, though it seemed the place for it.*

Trying to make this work, but sending horribly echoed signal from my side. Could it be ports, MAC settings in my 814 wireless router, firewall?

I'm trying AIM, MSN, PalTalk. As an aside� I use the Mac client for EchoLink (an amateur radio users VOIP app) and the audio is flawless. I can't even get the Win ELink client to communicate with the Audio Test Server.

Considering the VPC gets its own MAC plus each has firewall software (Win 2K, and I've tried with all firewalls off), there are at least a dozen variations and I lost track somewhere around attempt eight.

All info available on request (except Visa and PIN numbers) to anyone who would try to keep me thinking straight as I take another whack at this.

I would think it's my slow Pismo unable to keep up but for the inability to hit the ELink test machine. Echoes anyone?

TIA.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by Jim_MDP:
*This is a copy from 'Networking". I'm getting no response there, though it seemed the place for it.*

Trying to make this work, but sending horribly echoed signal from my side. Could it be ports, MAC settings in my 814 wireless router, firewall?

I'm trying AIM, MSN, PalTalk. As an aside� I use the Mac client for EchoLink (an amateur radio users VOIP app) and the audio is flawless. I can't even get the Win ELink client to communicate with the Audio Test Server.

Considering the VPC gets its own MAC plus each has firewall software (Win 2K, and I've tried with all firewalls off), there are at least a dozen variations and I lost track somewhere around attempt eight.

All info available on request (except Visa and PIN numbers) to anyone who would try to keep me thinking straight as I take another whack at this.

I would think it's my slow Pismo unable to keep up but for the inability to hit the ELink test machine. Echoes anyone?

TIA.
Your use of "MAC" is confusing me... the Mac address is an addressed hardwired into the Ethernet card. Are you certain that you get a different Mac address within VPC? If so, that's the first I've heard of that...

What do you mean by the "MAC settings on your 814 wireless router"?

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2003, 02:26 AM

Even with my Pismo running now with 900mz upgrade, I would consider any audio use in VPC to be unusable with stutters and gaps.

Back with the 400 card, forget any audio at all.

VPC only emulates a Pentium II with an ancient sound card. Anything using audio or video with VPC isn't worth it. You would be better off with a cheap used PC for this.

seen_xu
Dec 21, 2003, 04:51 PM

I've used that on in my VPC, it works well except the jaggy sound quality. so why not try iVisit 3,04, it won't dispoint ya.
Have a Mac, Never Come Back!?

Jim_MDP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2003, 05:38 PM

Got iVisit working last night. That XP user is very wary of malware so I had been hesitant to push him to install it (he didn't even want to try MSN since it required a new .NET/Hotmail acct, silly bugger. )

As I had heard� the audio (neither of us have cams) is a bit dodgy. Especially compared to EchoLink or iChatAV. But it does work. I haven't checked but I think it's mostly populated with 'singles with webcams' pr0n. Mostly guys, I'm sure.

Well� I'm out there for audio at least.

iChat - jmgmdp
iVisit - jim_nos.1911

Forum Links
Forum Rules