Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Problems Folding

Problems Folding
Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 12:41 PM

I have an AMD system and was running F@H for team 16 for about a month when I began to recieve more and more errors in the simulation, and very rarely finished anything other than a Gromacs core. I was running in an overclocked state and I expected that to be the culpret. Strange enough, after I returned my machine to stock settings, it still failed to perform stably, though marginally better than before. I removed the forceSSE command to no effect. Anybody have any insight/advice? I wanna contribute!

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
I have an AMD system and was running F@H for team 16 for about a month when I began to recieve more and more errors in the simulation, and very rarely finished anything other than a Gromacs core. I was running in an overclocked state and I expected that to be the culpret. Strange enough, after I returned my machine to stock settings, it still failed to perform stably, though marginally better than before. I removed the forceSSE command to no effect. Anybody have any insight/advice? I wanna contribute!
Does everything else run normally?

I would try deleting all of the f@h files and reloading them first. If that does not fix it, I would try again with a clean system load and then a clean f@h load. If that still does not fix it, your CPU might have been fried by the OC'ing. Then try hardware troubleshooting 101......

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 03:24 PM

I've already tried deleting the client and files, already been thorugh one nuke and pave, and it's possible the cpu was damanged in some way by the overclocking. One more thing for me to consider. I'm running Geil ram in a nForce2 system which have historically been rather incompatable. I've heard tell of Geil ram not working with nForce motherboards before, and Asus boards won't even post with most Geil dimms. I have some Kingston HyperX on the way and I'll see if it's not a ram issue.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 06:01 PM

I've already tried deleting the client and files, already been thorugh one nuke and pave, and it's possible the cpu was damanged in some way by the overclocking. One more thing for me to consider. I'm running Geil ram in a nForce2 system which have historically been rather incompatable. I've heard tell of Geil ram not working with nForce motherboards before, and Asus boards won't even post with most Geil dimms. I have some Kingston HyperX on the way and I'll see if it's not a ram issue.
Funny, I did not know that about Geil Ram and nForce motherboards. I am running it on about 4 of my machines, 3 of them are nForce chipsets and 1 is an ASUS. I built 6 computers for my job on ABIT NF7-S motherboards and Geil memory, they all worked fine. Where did you hear that about the Geil memory? I had not heard anything about good or bad about their memory before I started buying it. I have an inseide contact at a computer dealer that gets great pricing on Geil memory and I have not had any problem with it yet.

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 07:08 PM

Well, imperical data overrules hypotheses so it must not be true.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 10:32 PM

Well, imperical data overrules hypotheses so it must not be true.
Not necessarily in call cases, these could be anomalies. I was really wondering if you read that somewhere as a reasonably well founded rumor or article on the subject. Since I buy so much of it, I am realy interested in info about the Geil memory.

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by OneMacGuy:
Not necessarily in call cases, these could be anomalies. I was really wondering if you read that somewhere as a reasonably well founded rumor or article on the subject. Since I buy so much of it, I am realy interested in info about the Geil memory.
It was based on the statements of several individuals over at EXTREME Overclocking Forums a while back. I've never seen an article about it. At any rate, I'll be posting a 2x256mb Geil Ultra Series Dual Channel memory for sale thingy soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules