Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Video iPod

Video iPod (Page 3)
mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam
Does anyone know why the 60gb ipod has more battery life than 30 gb ipod? I thought it would be the other way around with the 30gb having more battery life due to smaller size.Also am i the only who was hoping for 80gb.
Perhaps part of the additional bulk and weight of the 60GB is a larger battery.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 05:48 AM

60GB drives are thicker than 30GB drives, meaning a thicker case is needed. The thicker case gives room for a bigger battery. Bigger battery = longer play time.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by badtz
Regarding DVD ripping, I highly doubt that any major manufacturer will have software that is bundled in, that will let you rip a commercial DVD straight to whatever format it uses.

This will circumvent CSS, and they wouldn't want to upset them.

What I will bet though, is that within the next short months, some developers will develop software that will let you re-encode any of your videos (divx/xvid/mp4/h.264/etc) into an "iPod friendly" format.

For now, you could rip your own DVD (strip protection), downsize it yourself, and place it on the iPod if you want to watch a DVD on the iPod
That's pretty easy to do!

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 06:44 AM

Yes, it's easy to do but the average consumer who don't care about learning terms such as divx, xvid, h.264, they don't think it's so easy.

Hey, it's easy to change the oil filter in your car but you still see alot of car owners who don't know how to do it and just take it in to the local garage to get it changed.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 07:34 AM

USB only?

Thats me out.

My current iPod syncs with my iBook via firewire and I have no USB2.

I was going to get a 30gigger and give my g/f my 20gigger.

This is bs.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by stwain2003
Will You Shut Up About The Av500!!!!!!!!! Jeez. Read Your Own Signature And Get That We Don't Care!!!!
Why you are attacking me???

I said that I'll would'nt talk about that again... I am finished with that topic.
but don't talk to me like that, dude.

I respect you. so, Respect ME.
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by michaelb
60GB drives are thicker than 30GB drives, meaning a thicker case is needed. The thicker case gives room for a bigger battery. Bigger battery = longer play time.

Thanks for clearing that up.Im sort of pedantic about battery life and while 30gb is more than enough for me i seem really attracted to more battery life.So i guess 60 gb down the line
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 09:35 AM

Wow, I can't believe I missed that crack about Japan not having copyright laws. Were you confusing Japan with China? Actually, the iPod was and is fairly popular in Japan. I think it's more that MP3 players in general took longer to gain in popularity.

Indohottie
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ShotgunEd
USB only?

Thats me out.

This is bs.
really only usb??? that's kind of ridiculous... would prefer both.. but I guess most computers these days have USB 2.0...

still it sucks..

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 09:43 AM

80GB black with FireWire and I would have ordered one on the spot.

80GB without Firewire and I'd consider it.

For now, I'll wait.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 09:49 AM

the iPod halo effect is hitting all of us Mac veterans who have older Macs with USB 1.1. I'm currently contemplating a low-end Mac Mini to tide me over until the Intel Macs come in.

atlcane
Oct 13, 2005, 11:52 AM

the 4:3 aspect ratio is a downer. I wish they could have done 16:9. Maybe next year.

Geezus_Aach
Oct 13, 2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003
Will You Shut Up About The Av500!!!!!!!!! Jeez. Read Your Own Signature And Get That We Don't Care!!!!
agreed. if anything, go start another thread about whatever product your selling...
Tangerine iMac 400DV, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd, OS X 10.3.9
Black iPod Video - 60GB

wish list:

Mac mini 1.25GHz, 1GB ddr ram, 40GB hdd, OS X 10.4
or
iMac 20"

yticolev
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by michaelb
I thought the 60 GB had two 30GB drives?

Geezus_Aach
Oct 13, 2005, 12:50 PM

posted that last post w/o reading the whole thread....

quick ques...16:9 ratio can only be done w/ widescreen...correct?!? not sure if its necessary but we'll see what happens w/ the next gen video ipods
Tangerine iMac 400DV, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd, OS X 10.3.9
Black iPod Video - 60GB

wish list:

Mac mini 1.25GHz, 1GB ddr ram, 40GB hdd, OS X 10.4
or
iMac 20"

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 12:57 PM

Firewire is available as a separate add-on. The new video ipods support firewire, they just don't sell the cable with the ipod. Someone in the firewire vPod thread mentioned a review and said USB2 got 7MB/s while Firewire only was able to acheive 2.9MB/s. The reason for this is that USB users your computers CPU as the controller, whereas firewire has the controller builtin on the iPod itself.

Bottomline: If you want to use the new iPods with firewire you have to buy a $19 cable
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by yticolev
I thought the 60 GB had two 30GB drives?
No, it is a 60GB drive.

Originally Posted by Partisan01
Firewire is available as a separate add-on. The new video ipods support firewire, they just don't sell the cable with the ipod. Someone in the firewire vPod thread mentioned a review and said USB2 got 7MB/s while Firewire only was able to acheive 2.9MB/s. The reason for this is that USB users your computers CPU as the controller, whereas firewire has the controller builtin on the iPod itself.

Bottomline: If you want to use the new iPods with firewire you have to buy a $19 cable
I'm pretty sure you are wrong. There's no mention of firewire on the iPod Technical Specifications page at all. And the "Apple iPod Dock Connector to FireWire Cable" product page on Apple's store site lists compatibility with everything but the nano and "iPod with video" products.

The review you are talking about was of the previous generation iPod photo.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 01:35 PM

That sounds like my post, and those speeds were for the iPod Photo. I don't think the iPod Video supports FW.

busterhide
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 03:57 PM

USB 1, USB 2, Firewire. Come on is this really an issue. The only time you will be concerned is when you first get it. Do an over nighter. After that you will only be syncing a few songs or videos at a time. 2 minutes or 30 seconds. Plan your syncs around bathroom breaks. But if you want to just buy a new Mac, Apple will not stop you. The Nano works just great on a old B/W G3.
"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers" -Thomas Jefferson

inkhead
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 04:01 PM

You should probably be spending your money on a new computer not a new ipod then ;-)

Originally Posted by ShotgunEd
USB only?

Thats me out.

This is bs.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by busterhide
USB 1, USB 2, Firewire. Come on is this really an issue. The only time you will be concerned is when you first get it. Do an over nighter. After that you will only be syncing a few songs or videos at a time. 2 minutes or 30 seconds. Plan your syncs around bathroom breaks. But if you want to just buy a new Mac, Apple will not stop you. The Nano works just great on a old B/W G3.
The nano, yes. It's 2 or 4GB total. But I don't really think it's realistic to use a 30 or 60GB player with USB 1. Aside from the fact that it could take more than 24hrs to fill up the first time, these TV episodes are apparently around 200MB each. If you're going to be using video very much at all, you'll be in for quite a bit of waiting. It's not impossible, no. But it's a pretty major problem just the same.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
The nano, yes. It's 2 or 4GB total. But I don't really think it's realistic to use a 30 or 60GB player with USB 1. Aside from the fact that it could take more than 24hrs to fill up the first time, these TV episodes are apparently around 200MB each. If you're going to be using video very much at all, you'll be in for quite a bit of waiting. It's not impossible, no. But it's a pretty major problem just the same.
Assuming that you can only get 0.5MBps over USB1 (a third of the peak bandwidth), that's only about six and a half minutes to transfer a TV show.

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 07:29 PM

Methinks charging over FW is supported but mounting/syncing the iPod to your computer via FW is not. It's the same story with the iPod nano. I can charge via FW but the nano will tell me I can't sync over FW when I connect it to my laptop.

My FW cable will be relegated to use as a charging cable.
( Last edited by wilsonng; Oct 14, 2005 at 01:27 AM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Assuming that you can only get 0.5MBps over USB1 (a third of the peak bandwidth), that's only about six and a half minutes to transfer a TV show.
And you think that's not a lot of time?

madmiles05
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2005, 03:13 PM

post deleted
( Last edited by madmiles05; Oct 14, 2005 at 04:27 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 14, 2005, 03:20 PM

Reported.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2005, 04:12 PM

And you think that's not a lot of time?
I don't think that's excessive as a worst-case scenario.

madmiles05
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2005, 04:26 PM

Reported.
dude i'm so sorry. i didn't realize you didn't want that on this forum. again, i'm really sorry.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 14, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
I don't think that's excessive as a worst-case scenario.
Well, it's not impossible, certainly. But I think it kind of sucks that people should have to do that. I have USB 2, so this doesn't affect me, but I still question whether it would be a good idea to use one of the new iPods with USB 1. Admittedly it depends on how you use it. If you don't do much adding of music or video, you can sync overnight (or longer) the first time and then you're mostly set, although updating will still take a long time. If you're going to be adding things very often, though, I think it would be frustrating.

ITGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2005, 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=Senbei]They do have copyright laws which in essense is at times more restrictive especially in the area of fair use. Extensions to the law can also be found in broadcast television where it varies even amongst the different broadcasters.

This is an understatement.

I will clarify that the US laws that protect American copyrights and intellectual properties are not readily adhered to worldwide, not just in Japan. Japan has few laws geared specifically toward protecting US artists while they do have many protecting their own. Distribution in that country is dicey at best. There is way to much corporate influence dictating rules on distribution.

Having said that, here is an intersting link that will give you all more insight into the whiles of world wide distribution and why the sucess that Apple has had in Japan is that much more significant than any other place on earth. I noticed that one of you has a tag line that says that Americans only own 1% of America. I would like to see some numbers to back that up. I am not disputing it as much as I am dreading that it is correct.

This article shows that big business in Japan can and does influence political decision making and lawmaking. Sony entertainment group is similar to Disney (ABC, ESPN, etc. Too many subsidiaries to name) in the respect that you never know when you are watching it because of the length of their reaches. It also discusses the attempt by Sony to deter sales of the iPod in Japan. Good Stuff.

Speaking of Disney. Disney is trying to get back in bed with Pixar. They have come to the realization that the relationship needs to be symbiotic. Look for an agreement from Disney for licensing of content through the iTunes Video Store. It won't be immediate but it should come along shortly. Apple is already offering Pixar Shorts through the store. Who knows? We may be witnessing the birth of the electronic/digital Sundance Film Festival hosted exclusivly by Apple and available for download/viewing by iPod Video customers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/10/te...FF9oxhHVkIxTCQ

Yes, I realize that the NYTimes is member only. This link worked for me and I am not a member. If it doesn't work for you let me know and I will post the article.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 10:56 AM

Does the 5G have the extra port next to the headphone jack that the headphones with remote control plugs into? (can't think what you call it!)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2005, 11:47 AM

No it does not.

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2005, 11:52 AM

In the forums at iLounge.com someone has started posting arrival pics. They're loose and roaming in public! Even photos of the included "case"!
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2005, 12:23 PM

Link?

Edit: I found it
( Last edited by icruise; Oct 18, 2005 at 12:35 PM. )

gkorsgard
Oct 18, 2005, 01:36 PM

FYI - Houston Apple Store has white 30gb video ipod in stock. Just bought one too!

nycdunz
Senior User
Oct 18, 2005, 04:04 PM

gkorsgard do they have any black ones in stock? how many left are there?

gkorsgard
Oct 18, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by nycdunz
gkorsgard do they have any black ones in stock? how many left are there?
They only got 30gb white. They told me to check back tomorrow for 60 gb.

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 10:06 PM

do they have 60 gb white?

Forum Links
Forum Rules