Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > which to buy: 4G (40GB) or 5G (30GB)?

which to buy: 4G (40GB) or 5G (30GB)?
adamschneider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 04:55 PM

Right now, I can get a refurbished 40GB 4th-generation iPod (click wheel, dock) for $249 or a new 30GB video iPod for $269.

I don't anticipate watching a lot of video content on that little screen... so at first glance, it seems like a no-brainer to get the older one... but is there something I'm forgetting? Aside from a high-res color screen, what advantage might there be to spending $20 more on the newer one?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 07:32 PM

The 5G is a lot thinner than the older model, the screen is bigger, video is very cool. I never thought I'd use it much, but I really like the free video podcasts you can find.

The main reason I'd go with the 5G though, is that it seems that any peripherals or new software features Apple will bring out is only going to be for the nano or 5G. The new radio remote for example.

adamschneider  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 07:35 PM

What about the dock vs. no dock issue? I find it odd that the new ones don't have a separate AC adapter; is that as annoying as it seems like it might be?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 05:29 AM

Video podcasts are really fun, as well as any other video content you stick on there.

I didn't think I'd be using the video function much, but it turns out I'm using it quite a bit for my morning commute.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 05:41 AM

Being english a third language for me, the iPod Video ability for display song lyrics is a plus. To be honest you get a lot more with those mere 20 bucks.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 10:15 AM

G4 ipods had a ton of problems - a friend of mine went through four in less than a year. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2006, 10:28 AM

Get the new one. Trust me.

Geezus_Aach
Jan 15, 2006, 04:01 PM

agreed, get a new one. i ordered the new 60gb video ipod the day it was released...loving it ever since! the video feature wasnt something i needed (needed mp3 player), but now im hooked...i've got 20 music videos on it already!!
Tangerine iMac 400DV, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd, OS X 10.3.9
Black iPod Video - 60GB

wish list:

Mac mini 1.25GHz, 1GB ddr ram, 40GB hdd, OS X 10.4
or
iMac 20"

Forum Links
Forum Rules