Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What PCI card to drive 3rd display on PowerMac G5

What PCI card to drive 3rd display on PowerMac G5
thevideojunkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 11:12 PM

I have a first-generation PowerMac G5 Dual 2ghz with an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro driving a 22-inch Samsung LCD and a 19-inch Samsung LCD. I have another 19-inch Samsung with no specific use assigned to it, so I was thinking about running a three-monitor setup with my G5.

What specific video card(s) should I be looking for to drive the third monitor? I have no PCI cards installed in my machine, so all slots but the AGP are open.

Thanks!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2007, 11:39 PM

Radeon 9200 (Mac version) perhaps.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

reader50
Administrator
Sep 15, 2007, 11:45 PM

I'm thinking your expansion slots are PCI-X. If they were PCI, then you could use a Radeon 9200 to drive the extra monitor. I'm not aware of any Mac-compatible PCI-X video cards. You could consider Matrox's DualHead2Go or TripleHead2Go video expansion boxes. Note, they're kinda pricey. As pricey as a Mac video card.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2007, 11:48 PM

Radeon 9200 or Radeon 7000 are the only options... neither supports Quartz Extreme/Core Image/Core Video/etc, but you'll probably have a hard time finding the 7000 outside of eBay these days. OWC has the 9200 for $120.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I'm thinking your expansion slots are PCI-X. If they were PCI, then you could use a Radeon 9200 to drive the extra monitor. I'm not aware of any Mac-compatible PCI-X video cards. You could consider Matrox's DualHead2Go or TripleHead2Go video expansion boxes. Note, they're kinda pricey. As pricey as a Mac video card.
Isn't it fortunate that PCI-X slots are backward compatible with PCI cards. The Matrox Head2Go boxes use an analog signal, which is a poor choice for LCDs.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 16, 2007, 12:14 AM

They have digital versions now.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2007, 08:41 AM

They have digital versions now.
Which still takes an analog input signal and converts it to digital, just as a VGA LCD would.

Connectors: HD-15 (analog) x 1 (input); DVI-I (digital) x 2 (outputs), USB

reader50
Administrator
Sep 16, 2007, 11:40 AM

Next time, I'll check the specs. I hadn't considered a digital box with an analog input, which is counter intuitive. btw, those are the input specs for their dual solution. The triple has both inputs.

Connectors: 1x HD-15 (analog) for input, 1x DVI-I (digital) for input, 3x DVI-I (digital) for output, 1x USB for power

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2007, 08:46 AM

But, PCI-X is supposed to be backward compatible with most PCI cards, right?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
But, PCI-X is supposed to be backward compatible with most PCI cards, right?
Yes, like mduell said PCI-X is backward compatible with newer PCI cards. Some older cards (5 volt) are not compatible.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2007, 11:40 AM

Sorry, I didn't see mduell's first post.

thevideojunkie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks, folks, very much for the speedy assistance. The Radeon 9200 from OWC sounds like my solution. I reconfigured my workspace arrangement to put all three monitors on my desk, with the 22-inch one in the middle. Now I'll order the card.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2007, 09:40 AM

I used to run a G5 w/ three 9200 cards (8 displays at times, sometimes just 4).

I was always quite disappointed with the performance of the 9200, even with just 1 9200 + the AGP 9600 card. The lack of Quartz Extreme just sucked, even for X11 xterms (I mostly do text work, not graphics). Text was slow, windows were slow to draw--it's a noticeable difference from the 9600.

Later I had a dual core 2.3 ghz with two Nvidia 6600 cards. Much better performance.

Unfortunately, there's no other choice. :-(

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bwa View Post
Unfortunately, there's no other choice. :-(
Well, there is another choice... sort of. You can get a PCI nVidia FX5200. While the graphics processing power isn't very impressive, they do support core image. Unfortunately, they are all only flashed PC cards and they are getting a little harder to find.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

P
Sep 20, 2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Radeon 9200 or Radeon 7000 are the only options... neither supports Quartz Extreme/Core Image/Core Video/etc, but you'll probably have a hard time finding the 7000 outside of eBay these days.
No PCI card supports Quartz Extreme, although there used to be a hack to enable it. The Radeon 9200 supports QE if you have an AGP version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules