Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Second wave of banks begins supporting Apple Pay [u]

Second wave of banks begins supporting Apple Pay [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 3, 2014, 01:03 PM

(Updated with US Bank confirmation, other banks going live) A second wave of banks has begun supporting Apple Pay. The largest credit union in the US, Navy Federal, is officially launching support today. Another institution -- USAA -- was supposed to enable support on the 7th, but anecdotes indicate that its cards are already working. Similar reports are coming in for US Bank and PNC Bank, even though PNC has only promised compatibility in the "next several weeks."

When Apple Pay debuted on October 20, only a handful of major banks were ready, including Citi, Chase, Capital One, and Bank of America. Apple is eventually planning to have over 500 banks on its roster, and expand beyond the US to countries like China. To do this, the company has to not only negotiate with banks and merchants, but meet different sets of regulatory standards.

Update: US Bank has confirmed its support through a press release. More reports from other bank cardholders are arriving at the same time, suggesting that Barclaycard and M&T Bank have also switched on compatibility.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 16, 2014 at 01:48 AM. )

iphonerulez
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2014, 01:29 PM

It appears Apple has knocked this one out of the ball park although there are those who say the ball barely cleared the stadium walls.

Michelle Steiner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2014, 02:12 PM

I can confirm that USAA now supports ApplePay. I just added my credit and debit cards.

bepps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2014, 07:03 PM

I was just able to successfully add my PNC Bank VISA card to Apple Pay.

sunman42
Nov 5, 2014, 01:11 AM

Added my US Bank and Barclaycard cards last evening. Now only waiting for Discover.

Forum Links
Forum Rules