Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Windows console version question

Windows console version question
Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 11:01 AM

I was wondering if there wasn't any way to get the F@H client to show in the system tray, and not in the task bar. Or to just get it out of the taskbar. Are there any tags I can append to the shortcut to make it run invisible?

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
I was wondering if there wasn't any way to get the F@H client to show in the system tray, and not in the task bar. Or to just get it out of the taskbar. Are there any tags I can append to the shortcut to make it run invisible?
I start it up with FireDaemon as a Windows service. That away it starts automatically when the computer is cut on and not when someone is logged in. It is invisible and if you set it up as an idle process, it runs completely unobtrusively in the background and drops back to virtually zero CPU usage when something else starts up.

You can get firedaemon at http://www.firedaemon.com/downloads/...ite-1_6-GA.exe

I use the follwing switches on startup for it:

-service -advmethods -forcesse -forceasm

Works great!

(BTW, thanx to Scott for showing me how to do that!)

Welnic
Forum Regular
May 1, 2004, 12:50 AM

Running it as a service really does work well. There are ways of doing that by using RegEdit or something, but I also just use FireDaemon. I had to get the full version so that I could run two clients since I have hyperthreading turned on. But the lite version runs one service just fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules