Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > half of my items missing in DL2

half of my items missing in DL2
streifl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2008, 09:27 AM

Hi there,
I have posted this as a support incident as well, but since I haven't heard from them (no complaint, really, I know it's a busy time), I would like to post this here as well:

I have recently upgraded to DL2. Everything seems to work, but I only see about half of my items, especially the ones more recently added to the database are missing.
When I launch DL1 everything is still there.
Any ideas what I could do?

I would like to add that when I upgraded first, I was still running 10.5.2 and the whole computer crashed while doing that. I then deleted all DL2 files (Preferences and applicationsupport/DL2), installed 10.5.3 and launched DL2 again. It went through the library upgrade and this is now where I'm at...with so many DVD's missing (1542 instead of 2750 or so).

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2008, 11:46 PM

I ran into what sounds like the same problem you're experiencing when I was beta testing. I've never been able to get DL2 to import my entire DL1 library (from DL1 Books only 3200 of 4200, and DL1 Movies just 700 of 1300 import before DL2 crashed and had to be Force Quit) and it only imports 7000 of 60000 tracks from iTunes .

Wil thought the problem was being caused by corrupted cover art, so I tried troubleshooting, but after many hours of deleting one section after another of my DL1 library, re-trying to upgrade in DL2, and experiencing crashes, I finally gave up.

Hope you have better luck than I did. It's a good program and there are some nice features in DL2 I'd like to use. I was looking forward to upgrading but there's no way I'm going to rebuild my DL1 library in DL2 manually! Guess I'm stuck with DL1.
( Last edited by cchris; Jun 1, 2008 at 06:47 PM. )

lmworks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 01:01 AM

I too have the same problem and would like to know how you were told to determine which was the "corrupted image". I have tried converting my DL1 library many times and each time there is a different number of items! If it always stopped at the same place, I might be able to sort by date and find the problem, but that's not the case.

I also thought that maybe my entire enormous library didn't convert because I hadn't purchased DL2 yet, so I paid for and registered it, which didn't help either.

I wonder if I can get my $20 back. I'm still waiting for a response on the bug report that I submitted.

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 10:51 AM

Wil and I worked on the problem early on, but there was no quick answer. He said when things quieted down that he'd create a special DL2 version that would tell me what was happening when things crashed to give a better idea of what was causing the problem.

In the meantime, I did the troubleshooting that should have found the problem:

Delete half my DL1 library. Test. It imported into DL2. "Cool", I thought, "I'm making progress!"

Restore the DL1 library and delete half of what I'd originally deleted. Test. The import worked properly.

Repeat. At some point (it was a different point each of the three times I tried this), the import failed. This was the A HA! moment, and it should have been easy to continue deleting ever smaller chunks of the library to isolate the twitchy item, but hours later, when I'd finished halving the library into smaller and smaller bits, there'd be nothing left.

Very frustrating!

My conclusion, based on DL2 also not importing all of my iTunes library, is that there's a problem with DL2's importer or the DL2 database that can't handle large collections.

Wil originally determined that the problem was caused by corrupt artwork by examining the crash report I sent him, so maybe I'm wrong. But the only other reason I can think of that I was unable to find the corrupt artwork, is that there are several corrupt images, widely dispersed in the DL1 database that interact with each other. Delete any of them and the problem goes away, but if they're all together, DL2 can't upgrade.

That way madness lies.
( Last edited by cchris; Jun 1, 2008 at 06:39 PM. )
You can be honorable or you can make money.
--slogan of The Delicious Generation

streifl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 11:54 AM

thanks for the replies guys
I am kind of relieved that it's not just me
on the other hand, it's really a pity that especially the heavy users of DL1 with large libraries are prone to this sort of bug (I don't know what else to call this, I mean corrupt image? can't it just ignore it then for god's sake instead of just quitting?)

another thing I noted which I thought was strange: I removed DL1 and it's library completey. then installed DL2. so you get an empy library obviously. I then tried to import stuff from my DL1 libary that I had exported in DL1. the import script in DL2 always exits with some error that it is going to report to the programmer. and then DL2 crashes. this happens even when I try to import my CD collection which only had 3 items in it as I hadn't bothered cataloging them. now isn't that strange? doesn't sound like a problem with corrupt images, does it?

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 02:43 PM

Ah, now you're probably getting the dreaded error:

Program Error Encountered
<*** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (39) beyond bounds (39)>

I've got a report in on that one too. I agree with your comment about it being a pity DL1 users are having to deal with these problems. It's really frustrating that DL1 could handle corrupt art but the new and improved DL2 goes into shrieking fits and won't.

The part that ticks me off is they released DL2 knowing these problems were unsolved. The people most likely to buy Delicious Library are those obsessed with their collections, and they're the ones who are most likely to have large collections, and also the most likely to be disappointed by DL2's inability to import their collections!

It's like buying an expensive sports car and finding it won't go past 55 MPH. I've invested many hours importing cover art and such into DL1, it sucks to think I'll have to import everything again by hand. And right now I'm not planning on doing that. I'll wait until DL1 no longer works with the latest Mac OS and switch when I'm forced to.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 05:54 PM

It's a database. Why should it rely on artwork to import? Why not just import titles and/or UPC/ISBNs? That would make the most sense. Also, if DL1 has a proper export function to a delimited file you could import that into DL2, but I don't recall that feature in DL1.

So what's the solution? Re-add manually all your items?

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 06:34 PM

I wonder if I can get my $20 back. I'm still waiting for a response on the bug report that I submitted.
Wil has said before he'll give dissatisfied customers their money back. Email Delicious Terry and tell her you'd like a refund, I'm sure they'll understand why.

streifl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2008, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by -LD View Post
It's a database. Why should it rely on artwork to import? Why not just import titles and/or UPC/ISBNs? That would make the most sense. Also, if DL1 has a proper export function to a delimited file you could import that into DL2, but I don't recall that feature in DL1.

So what's the solution? Re-add manually all your items?
DL1 has an export funtion. But as I was trying to point out in my previous post. When you try to import those into DL2 (even into an empty library), the import function exits with some error and DL2 crashes when you click submit bug report (or maybe it crashes even before).

Forum Links
Forum Rules