Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini Firewire port power......

Mac Mini Firewire port power......
powerbooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2008, 07:37 PM

I have been using a Mac Mini C2D 1.83GHz for a while and it works fine. Recently I bought a used Apple original iSight with firewire port. It connected to the Mini and gave me both iChat video and microphone, just like all of my other Macs at home. Very cool.

However, I just noticed something not cool. It is the iSight. I unintentionally touched it yesterday and it feels very warm. Odd, because the Mac Mini has been shut down for at least a day, and nobody touched the machine setting even though the whole machine is plugged with the AC adapter. So I unplugged the iSight, and it did cool down after a while.

Then I replugged the iSight to the Mac Mini FW port. The green light immediately turned on even though my Mac Mini was in not running (shut down). The light then turn off itself. But I can feel that after a while, the iSight kept warm, not as cool as the metal should feel.

So my question is: does the Mac Mini firewire port always has power as long as the machine is plugged to the power supply? May be another reason I have to unplug everything after usage?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 08:31 PM

It shouldn't be getting power while it's turned completely off, but it will while it's asleep.

powerbooks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2008, 10:27 PM

Problem is: I am certain my machine as shut down, not sleeping. I can repeat the test, but when I plug in the iChat to the FW of Mini, the green light turns on for a moment, even though the machine is shut down.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2008, 11:38 PM

It may have some residual power, but it's definitely not active when the computer is shut down.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

powerbooks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2008, 06:32 PM

Just tested, all with the Mac Mini completely shut down (and unplugged once):

(1) Plug in FW iSight, the green light on the webam turns on and stay on. Obviously powered.

(2) Withe the iSight connected, unplug the Mac Mini power supply, the iSight green light turned off.

(3) Plug in the power for Mac Mini, the iSight green light turned on for two seconds, then turned off. However, the iSight became gradually warmer after a while. Indicating it might be powered.

(4) Repeat step (20 and (3), power off the Mac Mini either from the wall or straight from the back of the machine, the resuls are the same: iSight lights on then off, but gets warmer.

I am not sure about others, but I did opened my Mac Mini before to change the HD and install RAM. Both HD and new RAM passed complicated tests and both worked fine and fast. Maybe some other people with a FW iSight can test your machines? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It may have some residual power, but it's definitely not active when the computer is shut down.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 06:41 PM

I know that my 4G iPod doesn't charge when my G5 is asleep.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

powerbooks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2008, 07:02 PM

USB or FW?

I think some new model of Macs have USB power even when sleeping, and thus can charge iPod or iPhone, but I am not sure about Mac Mini in complete shut down.

One thing to be noted is that Mac Mini is kind of a unique desktop, in the sense that it has to use AC power to work, but its main power supply is out of the machine itself, and there is no power switch in between. So maybe the shut down is not as "complete" as other desktop machines which can "cut" the power circuit?

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I know that my 4G iPod doesn't charge when my G5 is asleep.

zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2008, 07:15 PM

It's bogus. My external iSight does the same thing - it stay way hot even when it's turned off - being connected causes it to heat up.

powerbooks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2008, 07:22 PM

You mean it's a bug of the Mac Mini?

Originally Posted by zombie punk View Post
It's bogus. My external iSight does the same thing - it stay way hot even when it's turned off - being connected causes it to heat up.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by powerbooks View Post
USB or FW?
Firewire.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2008, 09:43 PM

My iPod mini charges over FireWire with my iMac G5 when it's asleep. It sounds like it is just receiving a trickle charge. Not enough to power it or anything, just a little bit flowing to it.

lenox
Senior User
Sep 8, 2008, 12:56 PM

With my old G4 back in the day, usb devices would stay powered even if the G4 was off. This might be what's happening with the fw on your mini.
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

powerbooks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2008, 08:22 PM

Tested and confirmed again.

Today I attached an external portable firewire drive to my Mac Mini, which is completely shut down and unplugged once.

Results: The FW drive light up and spin up. For as long as I have it attached (more than three minutes).

Conclusion: Mac Mini at shut down state still provide power to its Firewire port. However, I tried the same thing for the USB ports (with iPod dock), and there is no power there.

Originally Posted by lenox View Post
With my old G4 back in the day, usb devices would stay powered even if the G4 was off. This might be what's happening with the fw on your mini.

zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by powerbooks View Post
You mean it's a bug of the Mac Mini?
No, a bug in the iSight.

Forum Links
Forum Rules