Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Bento 2 not offering upgrade discount.

Bento 2 not offering upgrade discount.
benitojuan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 05:21 PM

I'm a user of Bento 1. Filemaker has released Bento 2, but they're not offering any kind of upgrade discount to the Bento 1 users. It's probably not a good move. I certainly will not purchase Bento 2 for another $49.00.
Certainly not good customer relations.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2008, 07:47 AM

its 49$ for a database program.
Not really that much.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 10:43 AM

If you purchased v1 after September 14, you qualify for a free upgrade.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2008, 11:07 AM

Given that Bento 1 was not really that feature laden, a upgrade discount would definitely been a good move.

Lesson learned: don't trust Apple on rev 1 software products, you might get the short end of the stick.

-t

vwgtiturbo
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2008, 08:48 AM

Bento 1 was so much less than I expected. I bought it with high hopes, and hated it. Now, version 2 doesn't seem much better (read through the forums, as far as features that were requested and what was actually implemented... disappointing). I am amazed that they are charging for what is essentially a point release. BS. So, I hopped online and 'downloaded' FileMaker. It is more complicated, BUT isn't hard to learn, and it is SO much more capable.
Black 13" Widescreen MacBook
2.0Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

gr8fultx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2008, 02:06 PM

No upgrade price for 1.0 users is pretty poor. The 1.0 release was pretty limited and the early adopters really help drive the development of 2.0 which appears to be much more functional - in essence what the 1.0 should of been. Now it $100 for a dB application with a solid level of functionality. Like I said pretty poor support for your 1.0 adopters.

To be honest the 2.0 should be FREE to anyone that purchased the 1.0 product. They are the early adopters. They are the ones that helped improve the product. They are the ones that evangelized the product. You have screwed them. Now they will screw you. Yes new features have been added in 2.0 but if you believe that 1.0 was a mature product then your kidding yourself.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by gr8fultx View Post
No upgrade price for 1.0 users is pretty poor. The 1.0 release was pretty limited and the early adopters really help drive the development of 2.0 which appears to be much more functional - in essence what the 1.0 should of been. Now it $100 for a dB application with a solid level of functionality. Like I said pretty poor support for your 1.0 adopters.

To be honest the 2.0 should be FREE to anyone that purchased the 1.0 product. They are the early adopters. They are the ones that helped improve the product. They are the ones that evangelized the product. You have screwed them. Now they will screw you. Yes new features have been added in 2.0 but if you believe that 1.0 was a mature product then your kidding yourself.
Well put. It is sad when potential good software like Bento may go down the drain cause such upgrades (lack of) schemes.

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 08:51 AM

I could be misremembering, but didn't Bento rely heavily/solely on your Mac address book, and if you eliminated an entry from your Address Book it would take it out of your Bento database too? Is that still part of Bento 2?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 01:57 PM

Yes. They're using the same database so that will continue to be true.

ercross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2008, 11:46 AM

Buyer Beware - Bento 1 users have yet to get any commitment from Filemaker that they will fix defective Bento 1 features, although Bento 2 contains some of those fixes. However, at this time the only option Bento 1 users are being given to fix their defective software is to pay full price for an upgrade that has it's own share of problems.

Will fixes for Bento 2 only be released as a full price upgrade?
Quite possibly if history teaches us any lessons at all anymore!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ercross View Post
Buyer Beware
I don't think that's a case of Buyer Beware, rather a case of Buyer WasScrewed.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules