Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Event - phones and icloud+ and ios15 stuff

Apple Event - phones and icloud+ and ios15 stuff (Page 2)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2021, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I thought the passcode or iCloud password was required to deactivate FindMy?
Your Apple ID is required.
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
If the phone is off or dead battery findmy won't work, will it?
FindMy will not work if the phone is turned off, this why the @$$*&#$ immediately turned it off.
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2021, 11:49 AM

So how does this work these days?

I know in the past a locked iPhone was basically a worthless brick... I'm guessing that there is now some way to crack them, so maybe they get turned off and shipped overseas where they are wiped using some special hardware that bypasses Apple's security?

I don't think it would be possible for most thieves to do much of anything with a stolen iPhone.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 27, 2021, 11:54 AM

IIRC, as soon as it’s turned back on and Apple’s system detects it, Find is supposed to try to report location and wipe/erase if it’s set up that way.

However, won’t the buyer of this hot phone be miffed when he can’t activate it because the IMEI is listed as stolen? He might want to tell someone about it, like “the authorities”I hope.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2021, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
IIRC, as soon as it’s turned back on and Apple’s system detects it, Find is supposed to try to report location and wipe/erase if it’s set up that way.

However, won’t the buyer of this hot phone be miffed when he can’t activate it because the IMEI is listed as stolen? He might want to tell someone about it, like “the authorities”I hope.
Initially locked, now set to erase when powered back on. I reported it stolen to Verizon, and Riverside CSD. I’m not sure if if Apple was notified by Verizon. My guess is all that can be done is part it out.
45/47

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2021, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Since a lot of people (myself included) have complained a bit about iOS 15 and iPad OS 15, here are a few things I like:

- I really like the new UI for incoming calls: really nice, clean, clear, easy to understand. That‘s the Apple I know and love.
- I like Focus. It‘s really great and just works. I‘ll try to see if it makes sense to create a Work Focus. I‘m using Fitness and Sleep so far.
- I like the more advanced tiles on my homescreen.
- I really like having the tab bar at the bottom.
- Window management on the iPad is much better, albeit not yet a runaway success. But keep chipping at it, Apple.
In the same vein. I like the reworked notifications on the phone in 15. They take up far less space.

iOS 15 in general feels like they made an effort to maximize screen real estate. Sometimes for the worse (see: Safari).

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2021, 01:13 AM

Ahhhhhh! Safari’s freaking me out!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2021, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Ahhhhhh! Safari’s freaking me out!
The weirdest is having the url bar (and thus the search bar at the bottom while in browser search is still at the top. Not 100% convinced about the changes but will give it a go.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2021, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
The weirdest is having the url bar (and thus the search bar at the bottom while in browser search is still at the top. Not 100% convinced about the changes but will give it a go.
Completely agree. It makes total sense to have the URL bar at the bottom—it’s just freaky and unexpected even a few days later. But clicking on the URL bar and then having to stretch all the way to the top for the website I’m clicking on is driving me bananas.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2021, 10:38 AM

I’m getting used to the switch to the bottom faster than I thought I would, but it’s too sensitive. Let me drag a little without showing up.

Past that, of the things I hate about Apple is they’ll get rid of shit like the magnifying glass, force us to limp along without it for a decade, and then go “woops… we had it right the first time”.

Also lookin’ at you triple-tap to select a paragraph.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2021, 11:25 AM

Is telling people you have DnD turned on something people want? To me, that’s like read receipts, which is a “hell fuckin’ no” feature.
( Last edited by subego; Sep 28, 2021 at 02:41 PM. )

OreoCookie
Oct 5, 2021, 04:05 AM

By the way, Apple has a pleasant surprise for us in store, Apple has undersold the capabilities of the A15. The fast CPU cores are “only” 13 % faster on average in terms of the 2017 flavor of SPEC's CPUmark. But the fast cores consume much less energy while being faster, about 11-17 % on average. In case that doesn't mean anything to you, it means your new iPhone 13's two fast CPU cores are essentially as fast as the fastest x86 CPU out there (an incarnation of Zen 3, which uses a lot more energy, though).

The energy efficient CPU cores got a significant upgrade, they go 23-30 % further with essentially the same amount of energy than their A14 predecessors.

The GPU upgrade is much more significant, but here Apple just turned the performance dial and kept the power/energy dial where it was.

I'm happy with that. Clearly, Apple could have exchanged the energy savings for a little more performance, but I am glad they did not. Energy efficiency is much appreciated and if your phone CPU is as fast as a best-of-breed desktop CPU (in single core benchmarks), I think that's probably overkill for most iOS software anyway.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 5, 2021, 09:44 AM

So, it’s a desktop in your hand…. Cool!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2021, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
The wife didn’t like it there. I went into settings are put it back on the top of the page.
45/47

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2021, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I’m getting used to the switch to the bottom faster than I thought I would, but it’s too sensitive. Let me drag a little without showing up.

Past that, of the things I hate about Apple is they’ll get rid of shit like the magnifying glass, force us to limp along without it for a decade, and then go “woops… we had it right the first time”.
While I agree with the sentiment, 3D Touch was *so* much better.

I miss it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2021, 09:04 PM

A MacNN specific annoyance with iOS 15.

What used to work fine when it came to hitting the italics button has become too fat-fingered. Now, when I try to hit it the cursor moves to directly below the italics button, and then inserts the tags.

This happens pretty much every single time. It just happened in that last paragraph, even though I was trying really hard not to.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2021, 10:58 AM

What are the odd the iPhone 13 Pros are stuck in one of cargo ships off the CA coast?
45/47

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2021, 12:21 PM

The remote widget, specifically text entry on iOS and tvOS 15 is driving me bananas. It keeps skipping deleting and rearranging words; clearly some sort of lag issue…

And I concur, 3D Touch was far better. I read that it may have been a licensing/patent issue more than a “nobody uses this” issue. watchOS in particular is far shittier without it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2021, 03:31 PM

My kids broke my Apple TV remote long ago and I have to say, the entire experience of using your phone as a remote is downright embarrassing for apple.

It's a total **** show.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2021, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The wife didn’t like it there. I went into settings are put it back on the top of the page.
Putting it at the top removes the single most awesome iOS 15 Safari feature: being able to swipe left/right across the address field to switch between tabs.

Love it!

“Open link in new tab” for later — swipe to right to switch back to source page, keep reading.

OreoCookie
Oct 7, 2021, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
While I agree with the sentiment, 3D Touch was *so* much better.

I miss it.
I'm so happy to hear I am not the only weirdo who liked 3D Touch. I thought it was pretty sweet to have a second mode and unlike long presses I never triggered them accidentally.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2021, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I'm so happy to hear I am not the only weirdo who liked 3D Touch. I thought it was pretty sweet to have a second mode and unlike long presses I never triggered them accidentally.
There is NO replacement for the quick-dial (force-press on the phone icon to get direct access to your favourites - a single tap dialled).

I was SO pissed off when they removed it from iOS 14.

Thorzdad
Oct 7, 2021, 02:51 PM

The health system most of my docs are part of uses MyChart as their patient portal. Got a notice that patients using iPhones have had audio issues doing telehealth visits after updating to iOS15. As in, no audio. They're advising everyone to not update until the problem can be fixed.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2021, 03:51 PM

The whole thing is just kinda buggy tbh. 0.1 can’t come soon enough.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2021, 04:52 PM

I think my keyboard issues - both the Zagg Folio and on-screen - started after I upgraded to iPadOS 14.7 or 14.8. I’m considering taking my iPad to 15 just to see if that changes anything.

Apparently, Recovery Mode (with the device plugged into a Mac and using iTunes) will allow me to reinstall the current and/or latest OS version on my iPad. I’m just not sure if it will install 14.8, or 15.0. Any thoughts?

Thorzdad
Oct 8, 2021, 09:16 AM

Apparently, there's a bug in iOS15 Safari that strips all AMP links from Google search results. Hopefully, it's a bug that can't be fixed.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 8, 2021, 10:48 AM

Safari's content blockers preventing me from clicking on any Google-sponsored shopping results is frustrating. Sometimes that's the only result that's actually relevant and I end up having to go over to Chrome to actually open it up.

andi*pandi  (op)
Oct 8, 2021, 10:57 AM

amp is evil though and steals revenue from sites.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2021, 03:36 PM

15.0.1 dropped. Still buggy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2021, 08:41 AM

If I’m trying to select text in a text box, say right here on this forum, there’s often some sort of overflow error and the page skates away from the text box.

Pairs nicely with the italics button hitbox error.

Select text… skate.
Scroll back.
Hitbox error.
Delete mistaken italics tags.
Select text… skate

Seriously. Fuck you, Apple.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 12, 2021, 10:26 AM

15.0.2 dropped due to a zero-day exploit?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 12, 2021, 01:35 PM

When I updated and saw that it was 15.0.2, I wondered, but I didn’t look into it. Now I have…

Threatpost Article

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2021, 05:15 PM

Oh nooooooooooooooo. Finally went to 15 yesterday. Previously, if I created a new message in Mail and attached photos, they'd show up in Outlook as attachments with generic names "image0.jpg."

Now it does the same thing as if I go into photos, select a few photos, and hit the Share - they show up in the Outlook message inline.

It's very common for me to take 10 or so pictures on my phone and then need to get them to my work computer. When they show up inline in the email, I have to right-click save-as on each photo, then name it, then navigate from the default Pictures directory to where I actually want the pictures to stay. For every single picture, I have to do the whole process - name, navigate, save.

When they're attachments, you can just click and "Save all attachments."

This is a pain. I wish I could just Airdrop to Windows.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2021, 04:17 AM

The scan text features in iOS 15 are really cool.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi  (op)
Oct 15, 2021, 10:42 AM

instead of email, share to dropbox or other cloud?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2021, 11:25 AM

That throws a couple of extra steps in the way. With email, my phone offers to resize before sending, which is what I want for photos I'm going to store or email to someone else. So I'd have to find some kind of bulk-resize program and then manually handle the files pre and post-resize.

Outlook is always open and it's easy enough to drag from there into a folder on my computer once I receive the pictures. With a cloud service (can't install the native apps on the work computer) I'd have to navigate their site and deal with their UI to transfer from cloud to my computer (Can I right click? Can I multi-select? Where is your download link? Do you stupidly zip multiple files together before download so that I have to unzip them and find them hidden somewhere in my downloads folder?), and then manage the limited storage space offered by the cloud service by periodically deleting what I don't need.

I see a Drive option from the quick share button, but I don't see a Dropbox option, I have to go into the Dropbox app specifically.

I can also pull out my Lightning cable, connect to the PC, unlock my phone, then navigate through the bunch of folders to try and find the right photos. Again, lots of steps.

I just wish there was a resize + Airdrop option.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2021, 11:32 AM

Maybe I'll try OneDrive.

Edit: Powertoys would let me right click and resize pictures, but work IT has us on an older Version of Win10 that isn't supported. Boo.
( Last edited by Laminar; Oct 15, 2021 at 11:50 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2021, 02:26 PM

The original image resizer that got pulled into PowerToys works. So now I can Share icon > OneDrive then in Windows Explorer I can right click - resize. Not a bad workflow.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2021, 10:54 AM

Argh, ordered an iPhone 13 pro max (1TB). On back order until mid November, hopefully. (Unless it’s stuck on one of the cargo ships off the CA coast)
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2021, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The original image resizer that got pulled into PowerToys works. So now I can Share icon > OneDrive then in Windows Explorer I can right click - resize. Not a bad workflow.
Tried it today. Failed to upload from Photos > Share. Had to go into the OneDrive app and it uploaded from there. I created a "Photo Uploads" folder on my OneDrive, but the upload function defaults to the root directory, forcing me to choose my desired folder every time. Less than optimal.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2021, 03:57 PM

Phones not on silent. Volume is almost jacked to max.

Not getting text notifications.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 22, 2021, 05:38 PM

My wife has that "no alert" thing happens sometimes with her iPhone 8; usually it's a text from our son that she misses. Sometimes his text "info" has "Hide Alerts" selected. Out of nowhere, and this in iOS 14. We aren't sure how that happens, but as soon as she toggles that off, his texts show up.

Sure, if I were expecting a text from someone and that sort of thing happened randomly, I'd check their out their data first. But c'mon...

Anyway, if you're not getting alerts from some people - but are from others - check the "info" for the people who's alerts aren't coming through.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2021, 04:08 PM

I received my new 13 pro Max. One thing I've noticed is when you power off the phone, it says ""iPhone remains findable after powering off. Is this new with iOS 15, or the 13's?
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2021, 06:38 PM

My 12 does it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2021, 04:55 PM

I tested find my with my wife’s XR. I shut it before we left a friend’s house about 32 miles away. It was still showing her phone there when we got home. I will test it next with my 13 pro max.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2021, 05:52 PM

Findable while powered off must be on newer iPhones. I shut my 13 off at my mom’s and it’s still off and shows as being home on my iPad.
45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2021, 09:41 PM

Its probably a feature of the U1 chip. I think that was present in the 11 onwards.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2021, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its probably a feature of the U1 chip. I think that was present in the 11 onwards.
It lasts for a few hours after the phone is "officially" out of battery. It runs the location tracking on the emergency bat backup. Or some such witchcraft.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2021, 05:28 PM

I think Find My powered up my phone. I went to power it back on and it was already on. I would hope that will discourage thieves from lifting peoples newer iPhones, knowing they can still be tracked after powering them off, especially if Find My turns them back on.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2022, 04:23 PM

New stuff today?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2022, 04:36 PM

This would be great for me if Adobe would release a fucking native version of After Effects already.

Forum Links
Forum Rules