Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Resetting Mac OS X installation to setup screen...

Resetting Mac OS X installation to setup screen...
Synotic
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 07:55 AM

I wasn't able to find anything so I figured I'd post a thread. I'm selling a computer so I'd like to, when the buyer turns on the computer bring them to the standard setup screen where they can enter their info and whatnot. This is with Jaguar because those are the discs that come with it, but I also want to make sure that if he puts in a Panther disk right away that that works as well... Thanks

proton
Senior User
Feb 9, 2004, 07:58 AM

Get the software restore discs for your machine, that'll let you restore it to the original state it was in from Apple.

- proton

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 10:11 AM

Simply remove the file:
/private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

proton
Senior User
Feb 9, 2004, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by gatorparrots:
Simply remove the file:
/private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone
Of course if you do that you'll still have all your data on the hard drive. which you most likely don't want. A reformat is the only way to go when you're selling a machine.

- proton

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by proton:
Of course if you do that you'll still have all your data on the hard drive. which you most likely don't want. A reformat is the only way to go when you're selling a machine.

- proton
Zero All Data. Wipes anything you had on the drive that you don't want the customer to have, and cleans the drive up nicely for the customer's convenience, remapping any bad sectors that may be on the drive. You can then put a clean installation of OS X on the drive or restore from the Software Restore discs.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules