Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Event - phones and icloud+ and ios15 stuff

Apple Event - phones and icloud+ and ios15 stuff
andi*pandi
Sep 14, 2021, 05:11 PM

but where's my 27" imac with the new m1 hotness in purple? Come on Apple. I won't always have new iMac cash to burn. (shh, I know the college tuition bills are coming...)

https://www.engadget.com/apple-iphon...201538409.html
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Sep 14, 2021 at 09:28 PM. )

Thorzdad
Sep 14, 2021, 05:26 PM

And, if you haven’t run the iOS security update yet, get it done.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2021, 05:50 PM

😴😴😴

OreoCookie
Sep 15, 2021, 09:33 PM

I watched the event yesterday, although I had to contend with a destructive daughter and make dinner at the same time. Overall, the lack of tangible excitement is due to the maturity of the products. Even if iPhones got a 50 % faster CPU, would that really have a large practical impact at this point?

The good
- The iPad 9 is a device I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who doesn’t have big needs. Apart from being the only Apple device with a physical home button that I am aware of, and sporting an older design, I don’t see any flaws, especially given the price. Probably the best value Apple device.
- The iPad Air mini is nice. If I had to pay for an iPad out of my own pocket, I’d probably get an Air and the iPad (Air) mini is a great addition to the line-up.
- I love that Apple focuses on battery life with its iPhones. Apart from that, we get a solid camera upgrade, a solid GPU upgrade. I’m not sure whether Apple traded all CPU improvements for longer battery life, but iPhones are ridiculously overpowered in the CPU department anyway. Even my aging iPhone 7 still works great, not as smooth as my wife’s 11, but still works.
- I really like the exterior design of the Apple Watch 7. I was afraid they’d copy the iPhone’s, iPad Pro’s and iPad Air’s design (which I love on these devices), and I am so glad they didn’t. The curved screen is beautiful. More screen estate: nice.
- I like that they are focussing more offering all of their products in more colors. While colors are a matter of taste, that’s precisely why it is a great idea. (Unfortunately, I’m not a big fan of their colors this time around.)
- Refocussing (also in video) is plain nuts. I think traditional camera manufacturers are asleep at the wheel. Yes, you can’t replace bigger optics and bigger sensors with algorithms, but just imagine if you took a camera with an APS-C-sized sensor (or larger) and applied all that magic?

The bad
- It is so obvious that what is holding the Watch and especially iPads back is software, the OS.
- It seems the departure of some CPU engineers might have impacted Apple’s products. The iPhone’s GPU made a substantial leap (about 50 % in Geekbench), and while I like Apple’s focus on battery life, they were very coy on performance metrics – very suspicious. Also the Watch did not get a new SoC, although it seems the Watch has been on a two-year schedule recently anyway. Perhaps we are reading too much into this.
- Apple needs to have a look at what Garmin and other sports-oriented smart watch manufacturers are doing. The lack of of a ruggedized version, Ant+ connectivity and native heart rate broadcasting are such obvious things they are missing.
- I don’t like that they have removed all neutral colors from the cheaper products. I was planning on getting a silver aluminum Watch 7, but I might have to spring for the steel model.

Order list
- I’m going to get a Watch 7, my first Apple Watch.
- My wife is finally getting new AirPods — which have not yet been announced. But she is adamant she wants the non-Pro ones. (I would have been happy to order her AirPods Pro, but the doesn’t like plug-type ear buds.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2021, 11:01 PM

I feel like the iPhone battery became fine (i.e., lasts longer than a day), from the X onward.

OreoCookie
Sep 16, 2021, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I feel like the iPhone battery became fine (i.e., lasts longer than a day), from the X onward.
Yes, but the X is larger than my ideally sized phone. I hope the iPhone mini will be around next year, because I like the smaller size. And smaller size means smaller battery.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2021, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
- Refocussing (also in video) is plain nuts. I think traditional camera manufacturers are asleep at the wheel. Yes, you can’t replace bigger optics and bigger sensors with algorithms, but just imagine if you took a camera with an APS-C-sized sensor (or larger) and applied all that magic?
Totally agree. Imagine a full-frame camera with computational photography. Feel like Sony has the best chance of making this happen.Samsung tried and failed so spectacularly they exited the camera business, though.
- I don’t like that they have removed all neutral colors from the cheaper products. I was planning on getting a silver aluminum Watch 7, but I might have to spring for the steel model.
Surprised more people aren’t talking about this. ‘Starlight’ appears to be a mix between silver and gold. But yeah, go SS. Worth it for the sapphire alone.

OreoCookie
Sep 16, 2021, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Surprised more people aren’t talking about this. ‘Starlight’ appears to be a mix between silver and gold. But yeah, go SS. Worth it for the sapphire alone.
Yes, very weird, you have silver-ish and black-ish, but both have a tint to them. While I feel like I am scolding Apple both ways, I like that e. g. they offer the iMac in one safe color (white). Even if you don't love it, you are probably not going to hate it either.

With the Apple Watch I really wanted silver, because that'd give me the most flexibility with bands. If I get black-with-bluish-tint, it does not go well with orange or yellow.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Sep 16, 2021, 12:24 PM

Me looking at my 2016 iPhone SE..... hm... seems fine tho. Takes good photos. Perfect size. Headphone jack that I use all the time.

Meh.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2021, 01:42 PM

Apple has a real problem in that even 4-5 year old iPhones and iPads still do everything the vast majority of their customers need just fine.

I mean, I guess it's a good problem to have, but yes, these events are getting more and more boring.

I really like the design of the new iPads, but cannot for the life of me understand why most people wouldn't just go with the plain old iPad. It's half the price and will function identically for what 99% of people typically do with an iPad.

If you were worried it wouldn't last as long because it will have an older processor, you could literally buy a second one in 3 years and still be spending the same amount of money.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Sep 16, 2021, 01:58 PM

Diminishing returns for sure. What's fucked up is they keep hyping shit I don't care about and removing things I do care about.

I HATE face ID. I think there are long term implications of face ID used so frequently, and it is not as fast as touch ID. If I grab my phone in my pocket it's already unlocked by the time I'm able to see it. Touch ID is just good design.

I LOVE my headphone jack. I use it in my lower garage with my stereo, my detached garage with my bigger stereo, plug in earpods to have conversations while driving, etc. Having to carry an extra dongle around at all times is obnoxious.

Honestly if I had my dream phone it'd be like the SE, with maybe a Micro SD slot near the SIM card slot so I could easily add more storage space/move videos/photos around really easy. And waterproof. Maybe a couple of 'multi function' buttons that were programmable by the user, quick access to flashlight, taking a photo, or opening a commonly used app.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2021, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
I HATE face ID. I think there are long term implications of face ID used so frequently, and it is not as fast as touch ID. If I grab my phone in my pocket it's already unlocked by the time I'm able to see it. Touch ID is just good design.
FaceID isn’t made useless by traces of moisture.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2021, 04:05 PM

I agree that Touch ID is better than Face ID... for me anyway.

Touch ID messes me up in bed and when I'm kinda far from the phone, like when it's mounted in my car... it really doesn't like the angle my face is at.

I don't know that I hate it, but it's definitely more noticeable in day-to-day use. I forgot Touch ID was even there, but Face ID gets tripped up at least once or twice a day... and don't even get me started on using it with masks... I won't hold that against them, but it still sucks.

With Touch ID, I had the muscle memory to unlock it as I was pulling it out of my pocket, it was just completely effortless and definitely much faster.

I don't know if I would trade the entire front being a screen for the extra speed of Touch ID though. My android friends swear by the back mounted fingerprint sensor, but I think comes with some serious trade-offs as well... such as in a car mount...

All that said, I have a hard time really finding much to complain about with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. This thing is rock solid, gets great battery life and does everything I want it to. I plan on getting at least 3 years out of it. I don't miss the headphone jack at all, but can see how it would be a big deal for some...

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2021, 04:13 PM

FaceID almost never screws up for me, whereas it was constant with TouchID.

I did like the “unlock in my pocket trick” (when it worked), but frankly, I prefer being able to see my notifications.

I definitely don’t want a smaller phone with screen real estate taken up by physical buttons (I have a regular, not a Max).

I hate headphones.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Sep 16, 2021, 04:26 PM

imho sound quality of bluetooth systems in cars sucks, people can hear you much more clearly with a real headset. I suppose you could get a bluetooth on of those but then that's just anotehr little gadget to charge. Regular corded earbuds roll up and fit in the coin drawer of any car, always work, always sound good.

Everywhere at home, vintage stereo systems with RCA to minijack cables for phones.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2021, 04:37 PM

One of the reasons I hate headphones is the impact on my situational awareness. A car is the last place I want to use headphones, even if it’s only one ear.

Full disclosure: I don’t drive a lot. My 2015 hasn’t broken 20K miles yet.

OreoCookie
Sep 16, 2021, 08:07 PM

FaceID isn’t made useless by traces of moisture.
Yup, and that is the only feature I am jealous of as an iPhone 7 user. As someone who does a lot of sports, that is a huge issue. My iPad Pro's FaceID is soooo smooth.
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Apple has a real problem in that even 4-5 year old iPhones and iPads still do everything the vast majority of their customers need just fine.
Apple is dealing with it by increasing its service revenue. Not that I love all aspects of that, but at least for me the longevity justifies the higher price. My iPhone 7 still works perfectly (after having had the battery replaced this year for about 5,000 ¥/$50), and I get the latest-and-greatest OS.

My sister was a big Android lover, and she is switching back to an iPhone. Buying an Android phone is a nightmare if you care about software updates.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2021, 08:20 PM

Yup, and that is the only feature I am jealous of as an iPhone 7 user. As someone who does a lot of sports, that is a huge issue. My iPad Pro's FaceID is soooo smooth.
I’m naturally sweaty, so even my iPad Pro is dodgy, but I should mention it’s almost 6 years old (which relates to Apple not offering compelling upgrades).

OreoCookie
Sep 16, 2021, 08:56 PM

I’m naturally sweaty, so even my iPad Pro is dodgy, but I should mention it’s almost 6 years old (which relates to Apple not offering compelling upgrades).
FaceID also works much more reliably than TouchID even under ideal circumstances. FaceID only fails if my face is completely misaligned from my iPad — which happens, but then I just need to move my face to, well, face the screen and presto. Or it fails when I wear a mask (which is rare, because unlike a phone, I only use it at home or in the office when I am by myself).

FaceID offers a vastly better user experience.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2021, 11:21 PM

FaceID doesn’t work with masks. I’ve spent the last 18 months wearing a mask while in public settings. Really super annoying I must say.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OreoCookie
Sep 16, 2021, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
FaceID doesn’t work with masks. I’ve spent the last 18 months wearing a mask while in public settings. Really super annoying I must say.
Sure, but because I’m using an iPad, I run into this limitation a lot less.
Plus, while practically annoying, I understand why it doesn’t work and that it doesn’t work for good reason.

I hope that Apple will eventually add TouchID back, and has an “either or” option for unlocking the device. For things like payments, you could also force authentication via both biometric sensors.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 20, 2021, 09:01 AM

^^^
The grocery store is a pain having to constantly type in my PIN over and over to unlock the phone so I can see my list.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2021, 10:50 AM

I am still quite happy with my iPhone 8 (especially with its new battery), and I like TouchID. I haven’t tried FaceID, but the security guy in me still feels it’s a weakness.

Ditto my iPad Air 3, though it doesn’t need a battery change yet.

As for the watch, I just got a 6, and I use a bunch of its features quite regularly. The blood oxygen sensor and pretty capable ECG are really useful in my profession. “See, this is what an ECG looks like. And it doesn’t hurt at all. And each little squiggle tells the doctor a lot about your heart.”

But I’m not going to get a cellular watch, so maybe a more capable OS won’t help me out that much.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 20, 2021, 02:05 PM

I could see trading my X for a 13 Mini for sheer pocketability, but there's nothing wrong enough with it to justify any cash outlay right now.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2021, 02:16 PM

The only real pocket issues I have is the watch pocket rivets on jeans scratching the screen. Not a big issue if you can train yourself to angle the phone away from you as you take it out.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2021, 05:55 PM

New Safari. Blech

andi*pandi  (op)
Sep 20, 2021, 07:02 PM

Got an email from apple saying I've been upgraded to icloud+... dare I hope, can this finally replace mobileMe in my heart?

naw but I will get family sharing on my icloud so DD phone can be backed up...

OreoCookie
Sep 20, 2021, 09:41 PM

The new Safari on the iPad is not as good. And I just deactivated the option that it takes the color of the tab bar from the web page.

Also, I won’t be getting a new Apple Watch this year after all. My indoor trainer (for my bike) broke and I need to get a new one. Bummer.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2021, 10:37 PM

I just got a used TacX myself, so I’m in the same boat. Still haven’t hooked it up and fingers crossed it works ok!

OreoCookie
Sep 20, 2021, 11:26 PM

I just got a used TacX myself, so I’m in the same boat. Still haven’t hooked it up and fingers crossed it works ok!
Nice! I currently have an Elite Volano, but the bearings died. It is a dumb trainer, but I have a power meter (a Quark DZero) on my bike, so that combo worked great. Until the bearings died a least. I'll talk with my wife aka my sponsor in a few minutes.

Thorzdad
Sep 21, 2021, 08:04 AM

Interesting how Apple is soft-peddling iOS 15. When I check for updates, it says I'm up-to-date with 14.8, but down below there's a little link to update to 15, if you want to.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2021, 08:41 AM

I saw that. Some place like Ars Technica or somewhere I was looking also had an article about how “it’s ok if you don’t upgrade”. What’s the catch? Are there issues?

Thorzdad
Sep 21, 2021, 12:02 PM

Hard to say. They announced they were going to continue providing iOS 14 with necessary (i.e. security) updates for the next couple of years long before the hullabaloo over implementing image scanning (for kiddie pr0n) blew-up, so I sort of doubt that has anything to do with it. All that said, my ancient iPad Air got a security update this year, even though it was two OS versions out-of-date, so it's not like continuing to support older OS's is without precedent.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
^^^
The grocery store is a pain having to constantly type in my PIN over and over to unlock the phone so I can see my list.
This exact situation was a constant issue for me.

Unlock via Apple Watch when a mask is detected solves this problem completely.

That was a point-update, but it was HUGE in usability in current times.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2021, 12:47 PM

Installed both iOS 15 on my Xs and the watchOS 8 update — navigation is *so much* nicer now.

On the iPhone, it's slightly more elegant, with an obvious way to change between navigation and route overview, as well as spiffy, fluid animations.

But on the watch, it's gone from "confusing" to "awesome". Super nice.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2021, 01:29 PM

I like the safari bar at the bottom and it's much easier to see all your tabs now... but tab management also feels little slow and clunky... but overall, I like the safari changes.

Have not tried navigation yet. Overall, this seems like a very low-key update... which is fine with me honestly.

OreoCookie
Sep 21, 2021, 11:28 PM

I saw that. Some place like Ars Technica or somewhere I was looking also had an article about how “it’s ok if you don’t upgrade”. What’s the catch? Are there issues?
So far things are fine. Music got a bit slow on my iPhone 7, a cold launch took way too long. But apart from that it feels alright. I really like Safari on my iPhone, the address bar on the bottom is a big improvement. Tab navigation is meh, I preferred the card metaphor. On the other hand, it is good to know that I have 460 tabs open. I guess soon I will see whether they have bumped up the tab limit from 500 or not

The other standout feature is Focus. I like the idea and the automation.

On iPadOS I don’t like the new tab bar interface. Navigating and managing windows is a bit easier, but not completely obvious. I like that Apple is slowly adding hints for “grabbable” and clickable areas. More of that, please.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2021, 12:56 AM

Thankfully, you can revert to the old Safari layout in Settings.

OreoCookie
Sep 22, 2021, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Thankfully, you can revert to the old Safari layout in Settings.
I thought the setting only allows me to put the address back back at the top. Does it also change the tab navigation screen where you flip through cards rather than have two cards put flatly on a virtual infinite table?

andi*pandi  (op)
Sep 22, 2021, 01:18 PM

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21...-hide-my-email

Throwaway email addresses are great... I still have an alias to .mac that I use for disposable things but having it be truly disposable is nifty.

Custom domains? Hmm.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2021, 12:39 PM

So far things are fine. Music got a bit slow on my iPhone 7, a cold launch took way too long. But apart from that it feels alright. I really like Safari on my iPhone, the address bar on the bottom is a big improvement. Tab navigation is meh, I preferred the card metaphor. On the other hand, it is good to know that I have 460 tabs open. I guess soon I will see whether they have bumped up the tab limit from 500 or not
First thing that happened is that it forced me to start sorting through the 300 open tabs. (This is a *positive* thing IMO.)

I really like that you can create tab groups!

Also, universal text recognition in images isn't 100%, but it's the shiznit!

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2021, 12:59 PM

Just in case anyone needs to know this, in old Safari, if you press and hold the tab button you get the option to “close all tabs”.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2021, 04:15 PM

argh! Heck of a way to get a new iPhone. I made a pit stop at Chiriaco Summit and managed to get my phone stolen. I left it in the stall and it took less than thirty seconds for someone to take it. I immediately went to the car and opened Find My. Whoever took it, quickly shut it off. It's marked lost and reported the Riverside County Sheriffs Department. I had planned on trading it in for a 13 pro Max after I got my bonus in October. I'm not sure I'd get much for a 64GB XS Max.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2021, 04:27 PM

Well, that sucks.

andi*pandi  (op)
Sep 23, 2021, 04:43 PM

aw damn.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2021, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
https://appleinsider.com/articles/21...-hide-my-email

Throwaway email addresses are great... I still have an alias to .mac that I use for disposable things but having it be truly disposable is nifty.

Custom domains? Hmm.
Custom domains is even nicer

OreoCookie
Sep 25, 2021, 03:59 AM

Since a lot of people (myself included) have complained a bit about iOS 15 and iPad OS 15, here are a few things I like:

- I really like the new UI for incoming calls: really nice, clean, clear, easy to understand. That‘s the Apple I know and love.
- I like Focus. It‘s really great and just works. I‘ll try to see if it makes sense to create a Work Focus. I‘m using Fitness and Sleep so far.
- I like the more advanced tiles on my homescreen.
- I really like having the tab bar at the bottom.
- Window management on the iPad is much better, albeit not yet a runaway success. But keep chipping at it, Apple.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2021, 01:34 PM

€@#&&$! 13 pro’s are on back order.

Update: I set the phone to erase. The people I’ve talked to, including a Phoenix PD officer, said it’s most likely already been wiped in an attempt to sell it. Too bad the IEMI is tagged as stolen.
( Last edited by Chongo; Sep 26, 2021 at 03:29 PM. )
45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2021, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
argh! Heck of a way to get a new iPhone. I made a pit stop at Chiriaco Summit and managed to get my phone stolen. I left it in the stall and it took less than thirty seconds for someone to take it. I immediately went to the car and opened Find My. Whoever took it, quickly shut it off. It's marked lost and reported the Riverside County Sheriffs Department. I had planned on trading it in for a 13 pro Max after I got my bonus in October. I'm not sure I'd get much for a 64GB XS Max.
I thought the passcode or iCloud password was required to deactivate FindMy?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi  (op)
Sep 27, 2021, 10:55 AM

If the phone is off or dead battery findmy won't work, will it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules