Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3Gs-It Just Shut Down

iPhone 3Gs-It Just Shut Down
ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2010, 09:37 AM

Not a battery issue, as there was over 75% left. It just shut down while in my pocket. I had to reset the thing to get it back on, too. Very unnerving.

Any idea what might have caused this? Is there any sort of log file that might enlighten me about what happened-and how would I view such a log?

16GB iPhone 3Gs just over 1 year old, running iOS 4.01.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2010, 12:06 PM

Mine does funny things like that occasionally, usually when I visit the petrol station.
I have it plugged into the car charger, turn the car off, refuel, start the car and the phone will reboot.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 24, 2010, 01:15 PM

In thinking about this, I've remembered that a couple of apps have crashed on me lately. Accuweather won't update (I was planning to remove/restore it because of that), and even Bejeweled did a strange "start then disappear" this morning. I'm wondering if I'm running into some sort of memory leak problem with one of the various apps I've downloaded to check out but seldom use.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2010, 01:24 PM

I'm encountering a memory leak, or just a lack of memory with iOS 4.

I've become slightly addicted to Godfinger, not sure if it crashes because it runs out of memory or due to buggy programming though. Other apps have alerted me to low available memory.

Safari also crashes occasionally...

Thorzdad
Jul 24, 2010, 03:16 PM

Just to pile-on here, but I've noticed my wife's 3Gs is a little sketchy after updating to iOS4. Some apps take longer to open. A couple of games don't run correctly now, too (the help menu in iTubes doesn't scroll anymore, for instance). Scrolling the screens is often sticky. And the usual rotten AT&T reception at home has gotten even worse. She's not encountered a crash yet, but I'm not sure iOS4 has added anything of real value to the experience. It's making me hold-back on doing the 4.01 update.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2010, 04:27 PM

My reboot issue was happening with 3.1.3, not seen it happen with 4.0.1 but it was always random.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 25, 2010, 09:43 AM

I finally just looked into how many concurrent apps were running-or at least listed via double-clicking the home button. Lots of 'em. Using iStat, I noted that I had a lot of RAM in use too. I "killed" all the concurrent apps, and my free RAM increased by quite a lot. I'm thinking this was why I had the crashes, and also why my phone choked.

So it seems that every app I run takes up some RAM even after I quit it-even though only a few activate the "multitasking" icon. What should I do to minimize this sort of problem? I can't find settings in most apps for anything involving multitasking...

Thorzdad
Jul 25, 2010, 10:09 AM

The only way I know of to manage this is to manually quit a multitasking app from within the "Recent Apps" scrollbar (the one you get when you double-tap the Home button.
Here's an Apple support doc on the procedure.

There really does need to be some sort of Multitasking control in the OS that offers either global or per-app multitasking preferences.

jessicaKloser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2010, 05:07 AM

I think that this can happen because of some application crash but this is not a problem, you will just have to hard reset by pressing home button and power button together.
I own a iphone3GS and enjoy the great applications

Forum Links
Forum Rules