Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > creating a You tube or streaming server

creating a You tube or streaming server
loren s
Senior User
Dec 6, 2006, 01:30 PM

Well the seems to be a some influx of flv fla streaming tools now . But would anyone have some nice little links to get strated on producing uploaded video convertions to a streaming format ? 

OSX of course so either flash or quicktime only

ChadC
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2006, 02:30 PM

If you have either of the two newest versions of flash professional when you import a video file it allows you the option to turn it into a Flash streaming file which is what Youtube and other video streaming sites use. This is the only software that I know of that does it.

Basically you need Flash professional to do it.. as far as I know
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2006, 02:52 PM

Kind of as a tangent, can somebody explain why it's preferable to use Flash for a player rather than just embed the movie?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Dec 6, 2006, 03:52 PM

cause it streams, and the whole flash thing is very easy to deal with i guess and it popular and just works

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by loren s View Post
cause it streams, and the whole flash thing is very easy to deal with i guess and it popular and just works
The heck of it is, Flash video doesn't actually stream at all. It can start playing in mid-download, sort of like what QuickTime does by default, but this isn't true streaming. True streaming can be done by all three of the major dedicated video players (QuickTime, WiMP, and Real) but I'm not actually sure whether Flash does it or not.

The reason Flash has gotten popular for Web video is twofold. One, you can easily make the player look like whatever you want, which is important to companies concerned about branding. Two, while the three major video players are pretty heavily split in the marketplace, virtually everyone has Flash, so you don't have to host separate video files.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

skalie
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
The heck of it is, Flash video doesn't actually stream at all. It can start playing in mid-download, sort of like what QuickTime does by default, but this isn't true streaming. True streaming can be done by all three of the major dedicated video players (QuickTime, WiMP, and Real) but I'm not actually sure whether Flash does it or not.
Do you have a definition of "true streaming video", Millenium?

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Dec 7, 2006, 10:38 AM

hwww I have seen flash stream. But wahtever it is, you tubes play rightaway player is great. But Rocketbooms play right away Quick time is great as well

I just need some sort of server tool to automaticly start the viedo to play after someone uplaods it to our server. I know there is a setting when exporting but most times it does not do the goal quite as expected

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by skalie View Post
Do you have a definition of "true streaming video", Millenium?
Here are some of the more important differences between true streaming video and what Flash and Quicktime do by default:

1) Streaming video is realtime, while downloading video is not. If there is a significant delay in a streaming transmission, then when the transmission resumes the intervening time will have been skipped. In a downloading system, the video would simply pick back up where it left off.

2) Downloading systems cannot play live events: since the event being recorded is not yet finished, the file to be downloaded can't have been created yet. Streaming video can handle live or prerecorded events.

3) Downloading and streaming systems use different protocols. Streaming tends to use RTP or RTSP, while downloading tends to use HTTP, FTP, or BitTorrent. Each of these protocols is designed for its own way of doing things, and can't really be used for the other. Note that if downloading video systems use HTTP, they can use the same server that their Web pages use.

The end result is that these systems have their advantages and disadvantages, but it can be important to not confuse them. For the kind of video that YouTube does, a downloading system is more appropriate, while streaming would be the only choice for a video-phone service. Webcams tend to use one method or the other, depending on whether or not they're live.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

skalie
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 08:32 AM

Thanks for that Millenium, now why I remember where streaming comes into it's own, ie., Live Broadcasts.

Flash does have that capability, it involves using the "Flash Communication Server", which can be used for video conferencing and the likes.

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Dec 8, 2006, 10:56 AM

CoachRoebuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 06:25 PM

Millennium is right. It makes good sense to me. I'm still relatively new to the world of video streaming. I'm still learning: the hard way. I notice when streaming audio via M3U file, one can seek to any given place in the audio (like a 80-minute DJ mix session) and almost immediately play/stream from that location. Not so with video. It seems that a person can only seek as far as the amount of the video has been downloaded. Also, I sometimes encounter problems while trying to stream video (e.g. sometimes the video/audio looks choppy, and the video is slow being downloaded.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules