Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacMini + Garageband + Microphone

MacMini + Garageband + Microphone
skalie
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2007, 06:08 AM

The piece I'm missing is the microphone, any suggestions as to what I should purchase?

I want to record demo's, guitar, bass and vocals over a Garageband drum track, pretty punkish sort of stuff so quality isn't important, each instrument recorded seperately.

I have the latest MacMini 1.83, with Leopard and Mic input, most of the advice on the internet seems outdated in that regard, recommending a microphone with a usb interface.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: My word, this thread took no more than 41 minutes to hit page two of google ( searching for "macmini microphone" )
( Last edited by skalie; Dec 7, 2007 at 07:24 AM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2007, 09:14 AM

Your Mac mini does NOT have a mic input. It has a line input. Keep this in mind, since hooking up a mic directly simply won't work.

One option is a mic with a built-in A/D stage and a direct USB connection, but this is very inflexible should you want to expand your setup later on. Something like this: Samson Audio - C01U
These run about €70 or so.

The more flexible (and potentially better-sounding) solution would be a mic such as the Studio Projects B1 and a small mic pre-amp (such as theirs) and running that directly into the Mac mini line input. (The Studio Projects stuff comes highly recommended, btw. Tremendous bang-for-buck.)

This way, you have the option of improving sound quality later on by replacing either the mic, the pre-amp, or getting a better audio interface - or simply adding more track-recording capability by sticking a multi-channel audio interface in there.

The third option is a mic such as the B1 and hooking that up directly to an audio interface with a built-in mic pre-amp such as the four-channel Presonus Firebox (about €300), which is also excellent for the price.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 10:17 AM

Thanks analogika, I did some research on foot yesterday and quickly realised that I had a line input as opposed to a mic input.

One possible ( cheap ) option was to buy a kareoke machine, which has a line out, and mic in, cost 15 euro, but out of stock. really looking for the cheapest option available, it's only to get ideas down, my friend has a complete recording studio which will be used for anything we want to produce that is going to be heard by other ears.

That Studio Projects mic looks very tasty however.

Forum Links
Forum Rules