Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Still no iTunes 11

Still no iTunes 11
pairof9s
Senior User
Nov 28, 2012, 07:58 AM

Well October came & went w/out iTunes 11 to which Apple stated late in the month that it would deliver sometime in November. Now it's Nov. 28 and still no iTunes 11.

This makes me ask the question: Are we getting an overhauled but problematic "new" version that its many bugs have delayed delivery, or are we getting a previously burned Apple (Maps) that's hell-bent on getting this right before releasing it into the wild?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2012, 01:52 PM

I can wait. We've seen the preview. iTunes 11 in the form presented was unlikely to solve or even really address the major problems with iTunes so I'd rather give apple time to put out a better version.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2012, 03:22 PM

Yup...iTunes has evolved into a piece of crap since they bought SoundJam well over a decade ago. Let Apple take their time and decrapify iTunes.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2012, 03:36 PM

iTunes 11 is out and it's ok, still makes me want to try Enqueue but without a demo it's hard for me to drop $10 until Enqueue can sync with my iPod.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2012, 11:20 AM

Tried it. Like it. I'm one of those who have never had a problem with iTunes the way it was (aside the sluggish performance of the Windows version), but the interface revamp in version 11 is definitely a very nice improvement.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2012, 11:56 AM

Don't like it. Looking into options for downgrading it (I have Time Machine but didn't turn it on since my HD meltdown a few weeks ago. My own fault). I do have a backup of my iTunes library pre-meltdown, though.

The problems I have with iTunes stem from how I spent 12 years organizing the living crap out of my music library. Since SoundJam, I've never had a problem using the app, finding tunes, or had any issues with its usability until now.

Consider this screenshot:

7000/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

These are two versions of the White Album - mono and stereo. They each have 2 discs. So, which is which? My library is plagued with this problem in iTunes 11 because in 10 there was a list view with albums grouped by album. That view is gone. Yes, there's a LIST view, but there's no album GROUP anymore.

Coverflow is gone. Why? WHY?

When editing a new podcast that's been added to iTunes and I go to edit it, iTunes 11 puts up this nagging dialog box that says "Are you sure you want to edit a file that hasn't been synched with iTunes Match?" YES! And stop asking me!

Album covers are important to me. They're gone now in list view. Album art is no longer placed in the lower left, it's now a postage stamp in the top banner. You can click on it, but it brings up a separate window. Bad.

You can't open playlists in a separate window. This made playlist creation a one-step process, now it's two-step.

There are other things. If you ask me, I'm starting to see a decline in quality of Apple apps since the whole FCPX issue. Now it's infecting iTunes.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2012, 12:00 PM

I'm with gradient all the way. I like the album cover colour matching when you list tracks from album view, nice touch.

I would like it if iTunes automatically matched the aspect ratio when you added your own album or movie art. I suppose Apple has no incentive to do this though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2012, 12:24 PM

So, I rolled back. You need Pacifist and AppZapper for it to work properly after uninstalling iTunes 11, but I did it.

If you remove iTunes 11 and then reuse an old iTunes library file, you'll get an iTunes store error. You have to use Pacifist in order to fix that problem.

Instructions:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16400819&postcount=6

EDIT: Make sure you back up your previous iTunes library file. It should be in the "Previous Libraries" folder.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2012, 03:13 PM

Prior to installing iTunes 11 I backed up iTunes 10 and made sure my music library was backed up. Couldn't restore after upgrading but the more I use iTunes the more I don't mind it. Not sure if it's Snappierâ„¢ but it's fine for listening to music. I'll probably buy Enqueue to listen to music and use iTunes to sync my iPod.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Don't like it. Looking into options for downgrading it (I have Time Machine but didn't turn it on since my HD meltdown a few weeks ago. My own fault). I do have a backup of my iTunes library pre-meltdown, though.
The problems I have with iTunes stem from how I spent 12 years organizing the living crap out of my music library. Since SoundJam, I've never had a problem using the app, finding tunes, or had any issues with its usability until now.
Consider this screenshot:
7000/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
These are two versions of the White Album - mono and stereo. They each have 2 discs. So, which is which? My library is plagued with this problem in iTunes 11 because in 10 there was a list view with albums grouped by album. That view is gone. Yes, there's a LIST view, but there's no album GROUP anymore.
Coverflow is gone. Why? WHY?
The Artist view is fantastic, imo, with albums sorted within each artist and the cover art prominently displayed - much nicer than the album view in iTunes 10 or previous versions. My only gripe is that this view doesn't include any of the detail columns (plays count, year, etc.) but overall I appreciate the more elegant and streamlined nature of it.

Coverflow? I never liked it and am quite happy to see it abandoned. Personal preference, I guess, but the new Artist view is the cat's pyjamas so far - I can finally stop creating smart playlists for every single album that I add into iTunes so that I've got a list that easy to browse at a glance!

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2012, 03:20 PM

Oh, and the 'All Artists' window within Artist View gives you every album in your library, sorted by Artist, with big cover art icons which (if I'm recalling correctly) is essentially equivalent to the old list view.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2012, 04:31 PM

The use of horizontal space, when available, to compress each album gets an A+ from me. It reduces scrolling by 50%, which I welcome.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2012, 09:35 PM

Gotta say, though - this new icon is terrible (nearly as terrible as the new iOS Remote app icon). And what's up with the super low res version that's being used in launchpad and the application switcher?

Also, just ran into a bug. I couldn't find the AirPlay icon....finally found it after googling: it was showing up in the mini player. Once I used it in mini player toggle back and forth between devices, it showed up in the main player window. Weird.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2012, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
The Artist view is fantastic, imo, with albums sorted within each artist and the cover art prominently displayed - much nicer than the album view in iTunes 10 or previous versions. My only gripe is that this view doesn't include any of the detail columns (plays count, year, etc.) but overall I appreciate the more elegant and streamlined nature of it.
Coverflow? I never liked it and am quite happy to see it abandoned. Personal preference, I guess, but the new Artist view is the cat's pyjamas so far - I can finally stop creating smart playlists for every single album that I add into iTunes so that I've got a list that easy to browse at a glance!
The problems I found with artist view:

If you highlight a track and get info, the "Previous" and "Next" buttons are missing from the second tab. This is important to me because if you rip a CD and the data from Gracenote is garbage, I could select track one, do the edits, and press the "Next" button to move on to the next track, do the edits, etc. This is GONE from Artist view. I have no idea why.

The other problem is if you're looking at Thomas Dolby (for example), and you find an album that one track of his is on, you can't just GO to it. Very annoying.

It's these little things that are bugging me about 11. I would consider myself a power user of iTunes 10, but I think 11 is the "FCPX" of iTunes.

Radioflyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2012, 06:58 AM

The "Last Played: date and the value in the "Plays" columns no longer update in my install of iTunes 11.

I searched for some setting in spite of my doubt that this would be a user configurable setting.

Anyone else experience this?
Cheers
RadioFlyer

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2012, 09:33 AM

The problems I found with artist view:
If you highlight a track and get info, the "Previous" and "Next" buttons are missing from the second tab. This is important to me because if you rip a CD and the data from Gracenote is garbage, I could select track one, do the edits, and press the "Next" button to move on to the next track, do the edits, etc. This is GONE from Artist view. I have no idea why.
True, I hadn't noticed that. Lame.

The other problem is if you're looking at Thomas Dolby (for example), and you find an album that one track of his is on, you can't just GO to it. Very annoying.
What do you mean by the "just GO" part of this? Maybe this is referring to something I've never done.

After a bit more use, I've also found a few things that are bugging me, though. iTunes now seems to have a really hard time remembering the view, and position within the view, that I was at. Just now I had a particular artist selected, switched over to Safari, then switched back to iTunes and it was displaying a completely different Artist. This has happened a few times.

Also, when if you go to the iTunes store, then back to your library, it will always drop you at the very top of the artist list, at All Artists, instead of where you were previously. Annoying.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2012, 10:45 AM

So, I rolled back. (…)
Thanks. It came in handy for me.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
The "Last Played: date and the value in the "Plays" columns no longer update in my install of iTunes 11.
I searched for some setting in spite of my doubt that this would be a user configurable setting.
Anyone else experience this?
It was working for me, but others on the apple forums have complained about it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
What do you mean by the "just GO" part of this? Maybe this is referring to something I've never done.
Ok, let's say I'm in artist view and I come across Thomas Dolby. He has a track on the Grand Theft Auto soundtrack. Let's say I want to now go from that view to that album. I can't figure out how to do it. If you highlight the track and click on the > next to it, there's nothing that says "Go to this album".

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2012, 11:31 AM

Gotcha. I don't see a way to do that, either. The new search does work pretty well, though. I know it's not what you're looking for, but you can always type 'grand theft...' into search and pull up the album pretty quickly that way. It'd likely be quicker than browsing to it, anyway.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I can wait. We've seen the preview. iTunes 11 in the form presented was unlikely to solve or even really address the major problems with iTunes so I'd rather give apple time to put out a better version.
Could have waited a bit longer...
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2012, 08:28 PM

This is the worst piece of trash i've ever seen from apple. Everyone who worked on this lame so-called update needs to be fired immediately.

For the first time, I can honestly say, 'I hate apple.'

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2012, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
This is the worst piece of trash i've ever seen from apple. Everyone who worked on this lame so-called update needs to be fired immediately.

a) you're new to computars, rite? New enough not to remember any of the serious issues of other software?

b) out of genuine interest, please substantiate your claims. I really hate it when people just say "worstest evar! I hate this POS!" And don't tell you why.
That's just trolling.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2012, 09:05 AM

Ok, let's say I'm in artist view and I come across Thomas Dolby. He has a track on the Grand Theft Auto soundtrack. Let's say I want to now go from that view to that album. I can't figure out how to do it. If you highlight the track and click on the > next to it, there's nothing that says "Go to this album".
Oh, look at this I figured out the solution to your problem and it's actually really intuitive now that I've realized how it works.

When you're looking at Thomas Dolby, for example, just highlight that track from GTA then click over to the Albums page and it will take you straight to the album listing that corresponds to the highlighted song. Simple, and actually kind of elegant.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
Eh? There's no doubt in my mind that iTunes 11 is, overall, a significant upgrade. There are some minor feature omissions but this thing has been rebuilt from the ground up and it shows. The UI is much more user friendly and performance has been improved. This is especially noticeable if you're a cross-platform user as the Windows version performs MUCH better than iTunes 10, or previous versions, ever did.

Even with the admission that a few old features have been left out (iTunes DJ, for example), the new features make up for it in my mind. Play Next, for example, is great and works well. It could use some refinement but I'm confident that that will come in time. The new Artist view is fantastic, as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, and the new Album view is much more functional than Cover Flow ever was, imo.

bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2012, 07:34 AM

ok I just looked at itunes 11 for first time, and WTF! I can't figure out how to do a proper search sometimes it searches for my song, other times i have to try again to get it to search, also my major complaint is that it doesn't search playlists, so for instance even if I find where the song is in an album I have no idea which playlist it is in which is huge problem when I have lots of compilation playlists and rarely listen by album.

No overall music library to search either.

There is something called Add to up next which I clicked about 10 times but have no idea what terrible thing I have created by doing this. Does it mean the song will now play 10 times? I figured out how to clear it but hoped clearing didn't mean deleting!

I clicked on a thing called Match (cause I wondered what it was) inexplicably took me to itunes store, which by the way when I seem to get sent to a lot when I actually don't want to go there.
Albums are in thumbnails rather than list view (I prefer list view) maybe others prefer this but couldn't they give us a dropdown view choice? Thank god though everything else so far seems to have remained in list view.

This update is a turkey.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2012, 08:46 AM

Switch to Song view. That will clear up all points except for the "Add next", which is the follow-up to iTunes DJ.

iTunes Match was introduced over a year ago, and has absolutely nothing to do with iTunes 11.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2013, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by bonniescotland View Post
ok I just looked at itunes 11 for first time, and WTF! I can't figure out how to do a proper search sometimes it searches for my song, other times i have to try again to get it to search, also my major complaint is that it doesn't search playlists, so for instance even if I find where the song is in an album I have no idea which playlist it is in which is huge problem when I have lots of compilation playlists and rarely listen by album.

No overall music library to search either.

There is something called Add to up next which I clicked about 10 times but have no idea what terrible thing I have created by doing this. Does it mean the song will now play 10 times? I figured out how to clear it but hoped clearing didn't mean deleting!

I clicked on a thing called Match (cause I wondered what it was) inexplicably took me to itunes store, which by the way when I seem to get sent to a lot when I actually don't want to go there.
Albums are in thumbnails rather than list view (I prefer list view) maybe others prefer this but couldn't they give us a dropdown view choice? Thank god though everything else so far seems to have remained in list view.

This update is a turkey.
Ah, the old "I don't know how to use this so it must be garbage" argument. Love it.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2013, 04:35 PM

"Up Next" is a serious downgrade to iTunes DJ, which I use all day at work. I'm sticking with 10 as long as I can just for that, despite the other positive changes, like the mini-player.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules