Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > people who ride bikes

people who ride bikes (Page 2)
brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 01:01 AM

Found this to be a good read: http://cc.usu.edu/~bob/bike/where_to_ride.html

edit:
Bicycle riders and automobile drivers follow the same rules and have the same rights. Example: Cars must stop at a stop sign, and bicycles must stop at a stop sign.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/bicycleriding.html

HAH!

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2008, 01:04 AM

My car is a 1990 toyota corolla, so it wouldn't make too much scrap metal.

But yes, we will have to be tolerant of each other in our imperfect world. I tolerate the bikes on the road, and I watch out for them, I just don't like them there.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2008, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Found this to be a good read: http://cc.usu.edu/~bob/bike/where_to_ride.html
From the article:

Sidewalk cycling is generally legal, and is safe enough if you are moving only at pedestrian speeds. Cities and towns are free, however, to prohibit sidewalk cycling in some or all locations.
Just sayin'.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 01:14 AM

okay
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Oct 13, 2008 at 01:38 AM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
My car is a 1990 toyota corolla, so it wouldn't make too much scrap metal.

But yes, we will have to be tolerant of each other in our imperfect world. I tolerate the bikes on the road, and I watch out for them, I just don't like them there.
Maybe so. But only one of us is telling the other to ride on the sidewalk.

And almost every place I've lived has had a rule in the code prohibiting sidewalk cycling. Like I said, some towns may be more lax about it, but even in such cases it's still a bad idea (as the link explains).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Atomic Rooster
Oct 13, 2008, 01:50 AM

Alrighty, sorry for being a better man then you. He had the tap coming, me getting spat on I didn't deserve. oh, and for what's it's worth, your post sounded like you enjoyed the fact I got spat on.
You're lucky you weren't shivved.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 01:54 AM

hmm, there's a scenario. If he drew a weapon, would I be able to post from jail for beating his ass? or as another poster above stated "make him piss blood"

Atomic Rooster
Oct 13, 2008, 02:02 AM

I can tell that CharlesS doesn't ride a bicycle for transportation. He probably loads it on his vehicle, drives to the park and rides on a trail. That is if he has a bike.

Atomic Rooster
Oct 13, 2008, 02:05 AM

hmm, there's a scenario. If he drew a weapon, would I be able to post from Heaven?
ficksinated

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
I can tell that CharlesS doesn't ride a bicycle for transportation. He probably loads it on his vehicle, drives to the park and rides on a trail. That is if he has a bike.
You would be incorrect in that assumption.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OreoCookie
Oct 13, 2008, 05:05 AM

It's somewhat strange that cyclists are singled out much more than bad drivers of cars, although just by sheer numbers, there are more bad drivers on the road than cyclists. Some car drivers get ticked off even if cyclists merely obey the rules of the road. The infamous turn left where people start getting aggressive is a good example. If I were in a car, they wouldn't even notice anything strage.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Some car drivers get ticked off even if cyclists merely obey the rules of the road.
Yes, and my favorite is when car drivers get ticked off by a cyclist who is following the rules of the road, because said cyclist interfered with the ability of the driver to violate the rules of the road.

I seriously got yelled at once by a driver for being there and causing him to have to pass me, thus interfering with his ability to slam on the gas pedal and be that one car who always barrels through an intersection right after the light turns red (at the distance we were from the light, he would not have made it through while it was still yellow).

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 13, 2008, 02:17 PM

One time I was pulling into a parking lot from the street but stopped to let a few pedestrians that were halfway through the parking lot entrance. Once I was able to pull in, a bicyclist that had been waiting behind me continued down the street and yelled, "Cars, get out of my way." I really wasn't aware that he was talking to me until I realized that I was the only car there.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 02:22 PM

Hey, at least he didn't yell at you to use the sidewalk.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2008, 06:30 PM

I was crossing the street with a 4 way stop. I'm in the crosswalk and zooms past me is a guy on a bike, literally a couple of inches in front of me. I tap him on his left shoulder as he passes. Not a shove, not a push, a simple tap. He stops an gets off his bike an comes back, as I'm about to get on the sidewalk, I see him coming to me an I tell him that it's called a stop sign for a reason, he spits in my face, an rides off laughing.
I don't think I would have handed it well at all, spitting brings out the worst in me. It's very likely he would have been spitting out several teeth.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 06:35 PM

Like I said in a previous post. By the time I realized what he did he had taken off. Whoever it was is a very cowardly basturd. He high tailed his ass out of there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules