Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple just leaked the specs for the new G5's! Seriously!

Apple just leaked the specs for the new G5's! Seriously! (Page 5)
Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
Apple can't announce and then not ship anything for 2 months. The last time they did that, they took a bath in bad PR. They can maybe stall on low shipments for a month.

Besides, it's best they announce it and allow pre-sales than let people sit on their pocketbooks and ignore the G4's until the fall.
Well the 17' laptops took forever!

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 01:48 PM

Why do I get the feeling that whether or not the specs are real, Jobs is adding a slide to his Keynote presentation right now with this on it.

There's no way he'll ignore it, true or not. It's on Cnet, even.

"Well, I guess Harry Potter isn't the only one who can't keep a secret......."

<audience laughter and applause>
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 01:56 PM

I am just scared he hates me.

Hopfully, I won't be called Severed Head of Skywalker!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 20, 2003, 01:57 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 11, 2004 at 02:09 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Now this is the first news I've heard all week.

Interesting.
Who the hell still sticks their CPU under their monitor. Cheesy!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 20, 2003, 02:04 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 11, 2004 at 02:09 PM. )

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2003, 02:08 PM

:: looks over at 17" iMac ::
That isn't the same at all. I am talking a big rectangle that people stuck under CRT monitors.

A Big box tower with a 20' LCD on top?

What-ever.

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
So I decide to skip the forums last night and actually go out in the world, and this happens...

I don't think it's a hack. If it were, whoever did it has a subtlety in changing just the right gif--something that is pretty rare for most hackers.

If these specs are true: WOW! My DP-800 now has the value of a Blue Dalmation iMac/500.

Since all that's offered is serial-ATA, it would appear that to use ATA 100/133 drives, you'd need to add a PCI card. I suppose why would you want to, but for those who migrate, it would be an issue.

Eug's specmarks don't include any Alti-vec. IIRC (and I'm a layman), the Alti-vec unit (or whatever it's called) is severely starved by the 133/167 memory bus. If the top end is 1GHz, then a 2x2Ghz 970 would encode MPEG-2 like a mutha---especially if the speculation's true of QT being revamped for Panther.

All-in-all, good times.
Actually, I believe there are suppliers who make IDE-->SATA adapters.

turboSPE

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 20, 2003, 02:12 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 11, 2004 at 02:10 PM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 02:14 PM

Wow. In just a day this thread has gotten more views than the T-shirt thread got in months!

I am psyched about this, but not as much as I would be if I thought I could get a new computer any time soon. I suppose this is a good excuse the squeeze as much as I can out of my iBook while they prepare a big upgrade for it.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
� drive slots rotateable up to 90� for function as a desktop or tower
I seriously doubt this, the expense is too much to develop, it's a waste of space, and as it is almost all CD drives function rotated 90 degrees just fine. The stupid IBM desktop I have here at work does.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 02:20 PM

I don't care what it looks like...
just let the specs be true.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2003, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
I seriously doubt this, the expense is too much to develop, it's a waste of space, and as it is almost all CD drives function rotated 90 degrees just fine. The stupid IBM desktop I have here at work does.
Not to mention, a slot load would work on it's side even better than a tray. You don't have to balance it on the clips first before pushing it in.

I wouldn't see the point in a rotatable drive. Just a waste of space.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2003, 02:26 PM

Ya I don't believe a word of that either because with LCD's Apple doesn't want a big CPU under a tower like that. Gross.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 20, 2003, 02:32 PM

I'm just surprised the other news hasn't been leaked yet.
heh
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 20, 2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
Well the 17' laptops took forever!
seventeen foot laptops? feck!

were they a special build, for Jabba the Hutt, or are you just getting all excited and being the Typo Queen again?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by turboSPE:
Actually, I believe there are suppliers who make IDE-->SATA adapters.

turboSPE
Thanks. I bet some do (showing my ignorance).
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

The Mick
Senior User
Jun 20, 2003, 02:51 PM

There are many PC cases, especially servers, that have this type of arrangement. It is quite simple, you just pop off the front, slide out the drives, resinsert them rotated 90 degrees, then move the "blanks" and reattach the front. It's not complicated at all, nor would it be expensive to make.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2003, 03:19 PM

I don't know why nobody's posted this, but what if this whole "rotating drive" thing was just an implementation of the Cube design. You know, pop up a handle, pull out the guts in one piece, rotate, stick in. Simple as a Cube.

But I don't know. I agree that it's kinda dumb to put your computer under your monitor and Apple's computers certainly aren't designed for it. But hey, if they figure it out, good for us. Choice rocks.

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2003, 03:20 PM

To all of those who worry about when they can ship these remember: this is NOT Motorola! This is IBM and a new facility to boot. All models may ship IN QUANTITY right away...

Or not...

I'll stop using the term "colored" as soon as they do.
I'm somewhat of an enigma: an atheist conservative.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2003, 04:00 PM

I seriously doubt this, the expense is too much to develop, it's a waste of space, and as it is almost all CD drives function rotated 90 degrees just fine.
mm.. I thought optical drives ran slower when on their side. At least, didn't Stevie say something to that effect when talking about the FP iMac development?

Could be that Superdrives are particularly sensitive to being on their side.

FWIW

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 04:24 PM

anyone notice how slow all mac sites got last night? i have never seen such a buzz
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
seventeen foot laptops? feck!

were they a special build, for Jabba the Hutt, or are you just getting all excited and being the Typo Queen again?
No, it was for Ted Kennedy.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 04:34 PM

Regarding the "rotating case" design theory, I wouldn't put anything past Ive and his team. If there's anyone in the world who can pull it off better than anyone else has, it's Ive and Co.

Nick_G
Jun 20, 2003, 04:36 PM

This is a message for all PeeCee users:

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
There are too many fools following too many rules.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 04:40 PM

I just can't believe something like this could just happen by mistake. It's like there's a reason. I wonder if Steve planned this...

I could totally see him saying something at the keynote like, "Well, we all know about the little mishap a few nights ago. I'm here to say, unfortunately it's all wrong." And then he proceeds to tell us even better news, "I present the 2.6Ghz, 2.8Ghz and Dual 3Ghz PowerMac G5s!" As much buzz that has been stirred so far, a statement like that would take it to the next level.

Or somebody just made a mistake.

mishap
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Nick_G:

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
yeah. what he said.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Nick_G:

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'll wait for the benchmark results, thank you.

In the meantime, I'm going to work on a huge jpeg image that says, merely, "SUCKERS!".

I'll be posting it here Monday.

edit:

I just received the reply to an email inquiry re: new Powermacs:

I wish.

This guy knows for certain. I'm convinced it was a hoax.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Jun 20, 2003 at 07:30 PM. )

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2003, 07:52 PM

Remember when ATi leaked information about new PowerMac models before MacWorld, and Jobs had all their cards "Steved" (read yanked out) before the actual unveiling, and broke off further development discussions with the company for several months as "punishment" for the slip-up?

I wonder what he can do to *himself* in this case? Maybe lock the office door and refuse to do the Keynote as retribution for Apple's leaky ship? Or would he dare pull the plug on the G5, and rush out those G4s for the WWDC instead?

"Psssst..."

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2003, 07:58 PM

I'd say Apple is conducting an investigation that will reveal the hoax to have been perpetrated from within. While it was probably done as a humorous prank, it snowballed into something that could be damaging to Apple. Almost has to be.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
I'd say Apple is conducting an investigation that will reveal the hoax to have been perpetrated from within. While it was probably done as a humorous prank, it snowballed into something that could be damaging to Apple. Almost has to be.
I'd be more inclined to think it was an honest mistake rather than a deliberate prank, but you may be right. Either way, I'm pretty skeptical about the specs.

I'll be happy to be wrong, though
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2003, 08:16 PM

If the specs were wrong, then don't you think Apple would be doing damage control? If someone went and put up specs on Apple's own webpage that were incorrect they would have to immediately make a statement about how they had been hacked, or one of their web designers who had a vendetta against the company was trying to cause trouble or something. The only way they could afford to remain silent is if the specs are either correct, or the truth is even better.

That G5s with these specs or better are going to be released very soon is, logically, the only possible conclusion.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 08:43 PM

Reasons why I'm thinking the specs are real:

1. How would a person outside of Apple go about getting a doctored image onto the Akami servers?

2. How would said person get the image linked to by Apple?

3. What would the odds be that a person would have advance details of the powermacs, access to the webserver and any reason to not keep his/her job?

4. Why would someone outside (or even inside) go to all the trouble of (possibly) tampering with Akami's servers, Apple's servers and Apple's Business (this will damage sales of Powermacs, even for three days, not to mention the closed the store until it was fixed) just for kicks?

5. I get the impression that Steve/Apple can do some very strange things.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 09:07 PM

Heh heh.

Apple marketing has one of the easiest jobs in all of corporate history.

It's practically on auto-pilot.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2003, 09:30 PM

Some no-name webmaster behind the scenes at Apple posts a small .gif image for a couple of minutes - and creates a bigger audience than the multimillion dollar "Switch" campaign.

gotta love it.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 09:33 PM

Look at how many sites are talking about this now, notice no updated picture, this was Job's doing and he's a smart man to have done it.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Some no-name webmaster behind the scenes at Apple posts a small .gif image for a couple of minutes - and creates a bigger audience than the multimillion dollar "Switch" campaign.

gotta love it.
Right, but anyone that thinks its not only know about explicitly in the highest corporate channels at Apple- but PLANNED by them to begin with...

I've got a bridge to sell you. Several actually.

Apple's marketing dept. must roll on the floor laughing it's @ss off quite often at the hype it can so easily generate. Other companies only wish they had it so good! Like I said, autopilot.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
If the specs were wrong, then don't you think Apple would be doing damage control? If someone went and put up specs on Apple's own webpage that were incorrect they would have to immediately make a statement about how they had been hacked, or one of their web designers who had a vendetta against the company was trying to cause trouble or something. The only way they could afford to remain silent is if the specs are either correct, or the truth is even better.
Just made a similar point in another thread.

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Look at how many sites are talking about this now, notice no updated picture, this was Job's doing and he's a smart man to have done it.
Are you people nuts? Jobs is spitting tacks over this. He's been looking forward to Monday for at least the last two years. For all that time he's been forced to sell underpowered hardware, to disguise obsolete technology with new enclosures and a few heavily optimized Photoshop filters. He can finally tell the Mac-using world that its patience is being rewarded, and that in one swift movement the platform is going to vault back into the performance race with Wintel.

And then with a scant 72 hours left, some nameless pissant at Akamai drags and drops into the wrong folder and ****s up the best surprise of his career.

No, I highly doubt this is what Jobs wanted.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 10:01 PM

Like your new logo...

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 10:09 PM

Some "details" about the new enclosure.

http://www.themacmind.com/modules.ph...rder=0&thold=0

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 10:42 PM

So acording to the picts on this page it is DEEPER then the current towers.

http://www.macmice.com/powerperch.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
The fastest DDR memory available is 400 MHz (200x2), for a so-called bus speed of 800 MHz in dual-channel pairs.
Dunno if anyone still cares, but according to AppleInsider's resident microprocessor expert, the frontside bus and memory subsystem of the 970 can run asynchronously--RAM speed does not have to match the bus.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Mac007
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2003, 01:17 AM

Well I hate to ruin the fun but Intel has an announcement for Monday too.

Intel to launch 3.2 Gigahertz chip

No matter how fast we get Intel will always counter it. You'ld be better off speculating on new ways to get more out of what you already have.
It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
Apple's marketing dept. must roll on the floor laughing it's @ss off quite often at the hype it can so easily generate. Other companies only wish they had it so good! Like I said, autopilot.
Thinking like this is what keeps Apple's market share under 5%. And I believe this is really what Apple thinks.

"We've got the Apple brand, we've got good enough machines for people who already have Macs... fine. Good enough."

Apple needs some sort of breakthrough product... iPod is darn close to it, though it doesn't necessarily move users onto Mac OS X.

Apple commercials have strong connections with their audience... but I think the more pressing matter of "how do I buy one," or for Apple, "give us your money," is a practical concern that Apple thinks about very little in their marketing.

klinux
Senior User
Jun 21, 2003, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
From my PPC 970 thread:

P.S. Here are some tantalizing SPEC numbers, in case you missed previous mention of them:

Code:
CPU SPECint2000 SPECfp2000 Notes ----------------------------------------------------------------- Motorola G4 7455 1.4 GHz 418 248 From the web Pentium III 1 GHz 448 316 IBM Power4+ 1.45 GHz 909 1221 IBM PPC 970 1.8 GHz 937 1051 Estimated Intel P4 2.40C GHz 984 1081 Intel P4 3.0 GHz 1164 1213
Some people have different P4 SPEC numbers, but Intel has since upgraded their CPUs with Hyper-Threading.

If these numbers are to be believed, a PPC 970 @ 1.8 GHz should perform at about the level of a P4 2.3 GHz with Hyper-Threading on the fastest Intel motherboard.

So don't expect a single PPC 970 to be competitive with the fastest P4. However, even if PPC 970's performance is only 3/4 of claimed speed, under optimal conditions a dual PPC 970 should crush the fastest current P4. And the P4 cannot be used in an SMP configuration. (I am not factoring in the SMP-able Intel Xeons or Itaniums, because these CPUs are not used in desktops.)

Here is my reply: http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/03q1/...ppc970-11.html

"The SPEC scores linked above are for a Power4 system with 1.5MB of on-die L2 cache, <b>32MB of L3 cache and 8GB of RAM</b>. The 970 has a 512KB L2 cache and no L3 cache. "

While I do think interesting points are raised in your thread, I am sorry to say most of it is essentially meaningless as you yourself has called it.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 11:08 AM

https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...tionID=1978437

Option 1: Somebody is now an ex Apple employee because of this.

Option 2: Steve Jobs' sense of humour has gone to new levels of twistedness!

Option 3: This has been there a while but somebody just saw it, thought of the leak pic, put 2 and 2 together, got 5.
( Last edited by ajprice; Jun 21, 2003 at 11:25 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2003, 12:12 PM

Well I hope this isn't it as it isn't very curvy:

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Well I hope this isn't it as it isn't very curvy:
http://www.macmice.com/images/powerperch_240_1.jpg
No one in their right mind would make something like that, everyone knows that you're not supposed to keep drives at angles.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

ODL
Banned
Jun 21, 2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
No one in their right mind would make something like that, everyone knows that you're not supposed to keep drives at angles.
There's a strange optical phenomenon called 'perspective', which make objects that are FURTHER AWAY seem SMALLER.

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2003, 02:07 PM

Nah...it was a mistake.
Think of all the current G4's they're now not going to sell because of that stunt...
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Forum Links
Forum Rules