Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dynamic SMB browsing...

Dynamic SMB browsing...
DanUk2003
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2003, 12:25 PM

Hi,

Can someone tell me if Panther is able to dynamically browse SMB servers from the Finder?? i.e. it can see Windows clients / servers without having to go "Connect to Server"...

Thanks!!
( Last edited by DanUk2003; Sep 12, 2003 at 12:56 PM. )

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 12, 2003, 12:34 PM

Yes, but it's still a bit buggy at the moment. I'm confident they'll fix it before releasing it though.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
Yes, but it's still a bit buggy at the moment. I'm confident they'll fix it before releasing it though.
I have the latest Panther and didn't even notice that the Network icon actually shows network resources in the LAN.

jjs357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 11:27 AM

I just installed Panther using the archive option and I am noticing that the network icon in the finder is NOT giving me a list of network shares. I did use the Directory Access program to make sure that my workgroup setting is that of my local office lan (gestalt-llc). In the System console log, I am seeing repeated messages like the following:

Oct 24 11:22:35 localhost DirectoryService[214]: Unable to browse contents of workgroup (gestalt-llc) due to 192.168.101.5 returning NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

So it looks like the domain controller does not accept probes for info from my tibook. Does a network admin need to make a setting change to authorize this? If so, what sort of change?

I am also having trouble with the keychain entry when I manually mount a network resource for an smb url Under Jaguar, it would remember my access credentials and not force me to login each time I went to a particular smb location. Now, I have to re-enter the credentials every time I "go to server".

Any advice appreciated.

Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules