Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problems with Windows Shared Networking and Panther

Problems with Windows Shared Networking and Panther
jjs357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 04:07 PM

I posted a little note on this to another topic, but perhaps since Panther is (soon to be) officially released, and the problem is an annoying regression from my experiences with Jaguar, I took the liberty of starting a new topic. There are 2 problems for me after a Panther install (using archive option).

1. I cannot use the network icon as a means to browse smb (Samba) shares on my office network. Nothing shows up in the finder window. In the system console window (accessible from the Console application) I see repeated messages of the form:

Oct 24 15:54:02 localhost DirectoryService[209]: Unable to browse contents of workgroup (GESTALT-LLC) due to 192.168.101.5 returning NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I used the directory access application in the utilties folder to set my SMB worksgroup to GESTALT-LLC (my company domain) -- it was originally set to WORKGROUP.

I was under the impression that smb browsing "worked" under Panther -- is anyone able to browse office shares successfully?

2. I can use Go to server in the finder to mount a share successfully. I enter my access data (domain name, user name and password), say to save these on the key chain, and the share mounts. However, once I eject the share, and use the Go to command again with the same smb url, I am asked to re-enter my credentials. Under Jag, I could save a finder alias to a sub-folder on the share, and when I double clicked it, the share would mount (using the key chain for credentials) so that I didn't need to re-authorize myself.

As a further oddity, after I re-boot, the very first time I access the share I DO NOT get asked to enter access credentials -- the key chain must be consulted. Subsequently, after ejecting, I must always re-enter credentials. Also, if I delete my finder prefs and re-launch the finder, I can get a 1-time immediate access to the share.

I repaired my permissions, I used the Panther Cache Cleaner app to clear out caches, I ran key chain first aid (which is now a menu item inside of keychain access) and such but not joy.

If anyone can share their experiences, successful or otherwise, perhaps I can get to the bottom of this.

Panther is really a nice step up from Jaguar, but this glitch is annoying and unexpected.

Jim

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 24, 2003, 06:22 PM

Today when I opened up my TiBook I went to my shared directory on my Windows desktop, and it couldn't access it.

So I rebooted the laptop and then it could access the share, but thinks the share is empty.

So I loaded up MS Remote Desktop Connection and checked the drive. Yep. Everything is still there. I even tried resharing the drive, but OS X still can't see anything.

So I went back to OS X and dropped a file into the share it sees. It saves it fine, and I can access it, but Windows says it's not there.

This is all very strange. It always worked fine in Jag. Perhaps Samba 3.0 has screwed stuff up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules