Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Mike's Free Toolbar Icons

Mike's Free Toolbar Icons
Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 06:52 PM

I just put up a set of 18 toolbar icons developers can use to help make their applications look and feel even better on Mac OS X. The icon set is similar to The Iconfactory's $349 "Stock Icon" sets, including an add button, pencil, document, paintbrush, folders, and more � but is of a higher quality and totally free. Developers can use the icons in their applications completely free of charge and as long as they would like. I hope some people find a good home for these!

Download Mike's Toolbar Icons

More Info

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2004, 07:27 PM

Those NEED to be a theme.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2004, 07:28 PM

As nice as there are, it would be preferable to have the shadow on the back instead like this example from Adam Betts.

Mac_Guy15
Jul 20, 2004, 07:36 PM

*nvm*
( Last edited by Mac_Guy15; Jul 20, 2004 at 07:49 PM. )

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Michaelm8000:
I just put up a set of 18 toolbar icons developers can use to help make their applications look and feel even better on Mac OS X. The icon set is similar to The Iconfactory's $349 "Stock Icon" sets, including an add button, pencil, document, paintbrush, folders, and more � but is of a higher quality and totally free. Developers can use the icons in their applications completely free of charge and as long as they would like. I hope some people find a good home for these!
Higher quality is your opinion -- do I detect a bit of animosity toward commercial iconsets? That said, thank-you for this. I like them and will use them, although the other fellow's suggestion about the alternate shadow type is a good point. Perhaps a second variation? I will definitely find uses for these.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

Michaelm8000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:

As nice as there are, it would be preferable to have the shadow on the back instead like this example from Adam Betts.
Drop shadows like those kill the depth of an icon. if you really want them to be storng you can just stroke them in photoshop with a nice big fat black line, although I would not recommend it.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2004, 11:17 PM

Drop shadows like those kill the depth of an icon. if you really want them to be strong you can just stroke them in photoshop with a nice big fat black line, although I would not recommend it.
I think I'll stick with Adam Betts on this one.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 11:22 PM

The point of Adam Betts's special shadows was for icons on metal windows. I think his shadows make sense on Metal windows, but I'm pretty sure even he recommended the regular shadows for Aqua.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Michaelm8000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
The point of Adam Betts's special shadows was for icons on metal windows. I think his shadows make sense on Metal windows, but I'm pretty sure even he recommended the regular shadows for Aqua.
I agree, but I think you should not use icons like this on metal windows but instead use things like buttons and other things that look like part of the metal.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2004, 01:18 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I like the icons, though I personally wouldn't use them.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2004, 01:45 AM

Those look good. Nice job.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<snip>

Download Mike's Toolbar Icons

More Info
Those are great! Any chance you could produce a step by step guide on how you make toolbar icons (like your desktop icons one)? I would like to see how the 'pros' do it

ambush
Banned
Jul 21, 2004, 09:33 AM

sweetz0r

Forum Links
Forum Rules