Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail.app and "Loading Message"

Mail.app and "Loading Message"
midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 08:13 PM

Hi all. Since the upgrade to Tiger, Mail.app has been giving me trouble. About 80-90% of the time, when I receive a new email message, Mail.app will display "Loading Message" with the little spinning progress indicator for about a minute. This happens on both my IMAP email accounts on all three of my Macs (4, if you count my wife's).

I've made a little movie demonstrating it.

I've tried rebuilding the mailboxes (does that even do anything with IMAP?). I've tried removing the envelope index file from ~/library/mail but that just makes the messages display funny.

This problem does not appear in Thunderbird or Entourage. But I don't want to use those. I want to use Mail.app.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

inkhead
Senior User
Aug 18, 2005, 08:59 PM

Well I can tell you this much, Apple's mail client is slow.. It's slugish on all my macs...

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 09:00 PM

This is beyond sluggish. I'm fine with sluggish. Something is seriously wrong.

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 01:36 AM

No one has any ideas?

inkhead
Senior User
Aug 20, 2005, 03:13 PM

I think there is a way to rebuild your mail boxes...

Mail.app >Hightlight your "inbox" then go to "mailbox" menu, select the very bottom item "rebuild"

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 11:01 PM

As I said in the initial post:

I've tried rebuilding the mailboxes (does that even do anything with IMAP?). I've tried removing the envelope index file from ~/library/mail but that just makes the messages display funny.

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2005, 12:38 PM

Does it happen all the time? I have the same thing happen to me, but it only happens once in a while (usually when I'm on the phone with a client trying to read their email). This never happened to me under Panther.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2005, 02:24 PM

If your messages are slow to display on an IMAP connection, maybe you have a problematic connection to the IMAP server. I haven't had any serious issues with Tiger Mail at all (other than the interface, although I have mostly gotten over that).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
If your messages are slow to display on an IMAP connection, maybe you have a problematic connection to the IMAP server. I haven't had any serious issues with Tiger Mail at all (other than the interface, although I have mostly gotten over that).
It only happens with Mail.app. Thunderbird and Entourage both display mail fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules