Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hard drive space gone

Hard drive space gone
DIPESH14
Aug 28, 2005, 02:02 PM

Hi, I really need some help. This morning I had 160GB hard disk space free on my Mac. However now I only have 4.3GB left and I have no idea where its all gone! The only thing I have done is repaired my disk permissions, would this have messed it up? Any help would be much appreicated.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2005, 02:06 PM

Do you have FileVault on?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

DIPESH14  (op)
Aug 28, 2005, 02:07 PM

sorry Randman, what do you mean by FileVault? If its the thing in security, it says FileVault is OFF for this acccount. I just dont understand how I've lost 100+ GB
( Last edited by DIPESH14; Aug 28, 2005 at 02:09 PM. Reason: extra information added)

NeilCharter
Senior User
Aug 28, 2005, 07:44 PM

You could have an application or process that has a memory leak. These keep on asking for more and more memory and because ram availability is limited, virtual memory will be taken instead.

Quit all apps - if that doesn't help then restart your machine. If you recover the disk space then it is a memory leak.

If the disk space isn't recovered then you're going have to going through all the folders in the top directory on your computer. In the Finder, choose a folder in that directory and hit command-option I. A get info window will appear and show the size of the folder. Clicking on the other folders (the Get Info window file will change and update to the new folder info) and see whether any of the folders contain the 100 gb of space.

If you find a folder containing the 100 GB of data, open it and repeat the search process. Shouldn't take too long to track it down.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2005, 08:28 PM

OmniDiskSweeper is fantastic at finding out where all your hard drive space went.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2005, 09:18 PM

Did you try a restart, just to see if that helped?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2005, 03:56 AM

I had the same problem quite recently. It was an invisible file that I couldn't find at first glance.
Try this nice little program
http://www.wheresthefreespace.com/
The trial version will work just fine.
What it does is gives you a list of all the files in your hard disk and their size. You browse by folder and then once you're in the folder by size.
Once you find the file that takes so much space just highlight and delete or drag and drop to trash and then delete. That's it!

There's another program that I haven't tried but have heard good things.
http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/index.php

Hope this helps

DIPESH14  (op)
Aug 29, 2005, 07:42 AM

I think it was a memory leak. After restarting twice, my hard disk space has gone back up to the norm. Really freaked me out though! Thanks for everyones help, much appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules