Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Ethernet card. DOA? Need troubleshooting help

MBP Ethernet card. DOA? Need troubleshooting help
jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 01:33 PM

I have a MBP 2.16. I got it Friday. I used migration assistant to transfer everything over from my powerbook. I connect to the internet thorough my airport card at home. Everything was working great, until..

So I get to work this morning and plug my MBP into the ethernet cable. I noticed immediately that there were connectivity problems. I tried pinging my default gateway and realized that I was getting an average of 45% packet loss. I tried another ethernet cable. Same problem. I tried another ethernet jack, same problem. I tried plugging in a co-workers Dell into the same jack, with the same ethernet cable, and there was no packet loss. It appears as though my MBP has a flakey ethernet card. I even tried changing the speed to 100-half 10-full and 10-half. No dice.

So my question is this. What else should I check? I am planning on calling Apple when I get home. My old powerbook is now gone, and I will have a hard time without a computer while they ship a replacement. Is there any way they will cross ship a replacement since it is only 3 days old?

Would migration assistant have caused issues by pulling some hardware specific settings over that might be causing problems? I also have the new universal Cisco vpn client installed. It works fine over airport, but I'm wondering if it might be causing the issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

jimbosyn  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 09:00 PM

Is there anyone out there who might be able to help?

ibook_steve
Feb 28, 2006, 09:12 PM

Apple?

It's a new machine. Get it fixed or replaced. You've done just about all you can do. You could try a clean install, but it sounds like hardware.

Steve

jjs357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2006, 09:43 PM

Check out the Macintouch report on the Macbook Pro.

url: http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...topic4073.html

Also the Macbook discussion forum hosted by Apple:

url: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....78673&tstart=0

There is apparently an issue with VoIP net packets on office ethernets.

Does your office have a Cisco or similar phone system that plugs into the ethernet network?

I believe that the ethernet driver for the Macbook will need an update -- 10.4.6 perhaps?
( Last edited by jjs357; Mar 1, 2006 at 10:16 AM. )

jimbosyn  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 09:49 PM

Update here. I got home and tried on my home network. No issues at all.

I do have a Cisco SIP Phone on my desk that plugs into the same switch. This is probably the issue. I'll dig around on the macintouch site for details. Thanks jjs357!

Forum Links
Forum Rules