Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Converting AIFF files for use on iPod

Converting AIFF files for use on iPod
DeeVee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 07:47 AM

Dear All,
I recently purchased DTS 5.1 music disk called Capricornia by Midnight Oil. I foolishly thought it would be easy to convert the files to digital audio for my iPod but have failed so far to do this. All the files on the disk are AIFF files but when I play them in my iTunes browser I just get white noise. Is there anyone out there who knows how to convert these files so I can listen to them on my iPod?
Many thanks,
The Fredster

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 04:34 PM

I thought iTunes supported AIFF? Have you tried opening these files with the Quicktime player?

DeeVee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi
I thought iTunes supported AIFF? Have you tried opening these files with the Quicktime player?
Thanks for your idea KeyLimePi - I tried playing the files in Quicktime Player but they just sound like white noise again as in iTunes. The icons for the sound files come up correctly with the AIFF icon on my Macs. Any other ideas??

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2006, 12:36 AM

What type of disc is it? SACD, DVD-A? Most SACD discs have both 2 channel stereo and 5.1 mixes (unsupported players will only be able to read the stereo portion), but the 5.1 channel tracks are not AIFFs at all. Maybe your Mac can read the TOC (table of contents) that tells it where the tracks begin, and is incorrectly giving them AIFF icons even though they aren't.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2006, 02:37 PM

A DTS disc requires a DTS decoder which the iPod does not have! In fact the white noise is exactly what you should be getting on an iPod or any CD player not connected to a decoder. Sure you can extract the audio tracks just like any other CD, but you notice in an audio editing program, its just one flat sound wave because its all encoded.
You could try an play the CD through an analog to digital converter and then save it as an AIFF again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules