Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MBP EFI firmware

New MBP EFI firmware
Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 04:33 AM

Apple has released new EFI firmware for the 15" and 17" MBPs.

Apparently only rev A MBPs need it. My rev B is not showing it in SU.

More information here: Apple - Support - Downloads - MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.2

Experiences? Apple claims it solves wake-from-sleep issues. Never had those, so I wouldn't know if they fixed em.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 11:30 AM

Does it really eliminate the whine?

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2006, 12:08 PM

just downloaded it and it helped with some of my issues. can someone straighten out the Rev A/B/C deal?

i thought rev A was the first batch which were in 1.83/2.0, then rev B was 2.0/2.16, and rev C is the C2D's....
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 12:10 PM

I ran it last night on my RevA MBP, update went smoothly and nothing changed that I could see. Played with it for a few minutes then started BOINC. Checked this morning and BOINC was running fine and the Book was still cool, Fan Control Pref Pane works womders. Mine has never moo'd or whined, still silent except for the fans - I have them set for 3500rpm minimum and a steep ramp so the case stays cool ...

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Apple has released new EFI firmware for the 15" and 17" MBPs.

Apparently only rev A MBPs need it. My rev B is not showing it in SU.

More information here: Apple - Support - Downloads - MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.2

Experiences? Apple claims it solves wake-from-sleep issues. Never had those, so I wouldn't know if they fixed em.
Just FYI, sometimes firmware updates do not show up in SU. You should confirm if your firmware is up to date manually.
However, I tried installing this release and it wasn't required on my rev. B.

outthere
Nov 14, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
Just FYI, sometimes firmware updates do not show up in SU. You should confirm if your firmware is up to date manually.
However, I tried installing this release and it wasn't required on my rev. B.
yup, mine doesn't require it either, i guess it only works for rev. A
un jour,

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 03:34 PM

I'm afraid it did nothing for the whine in my 1.83 Rev. A - except that now the whine heard while on battery is distinctly different from the one heard on AC. The AC whine is the high pitch squeal I'm all to acustomed to, while on battery it has more of a "high pitch rushing wind" sound - I don't now what else to call it. Not quite sure where MacNN got their information.

AquaX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 05:12 PM

I have exactly the same story as Timetheus. An early 1.83GHz MBP, the new firmware just changed the sound of the whine, but did not eliminate or minimize it at all.

The Milkman
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 05:40 PM

About the whine after firmware update: still present on my Rev A 2.0 but the frequency might be a bit lower, which makes it slightly less noticeable. But it could also be my imagination.
(Still only while on battery, never had it while on AC.)
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Oscar Wilde

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by quattrokid73 View Post
just downloaded it and it helped with some of my issues. can someone straighten out the Rev A/B/C deal?

i thought rev A was the first batch which were in 1.83/2.0, then rev B was 2.0/2.16, and rev C is the C2D's....
Rev A MBPs are the Core Duos, Rev B MBPs are the ones with C2D. There isn't a Rev C yet.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2006, 09:23 PM

oh okay thanks
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by zac4mac View Post
I ran it last night on my RevA MBP, update went smoothly and nothing changed that I could see. Played with it for a few minutes then started BOINC. Checked this morning and BOINC was running fine and the Book was still cool, Fan Control Pref Pane works womders. Mine has never moo'd or whined, still silent except for the fans - I have them set for 3500rpm minimum and a steep ramp so the case stays cool ...
hmmmm i have the 17in rev mbp and i see no fan panel? where is the control pref for the fan?
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

bernt
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2006, 04:26 AM

onlykaria: It's a 3rd party utility called Fan Control (Fan Control 1.1 - MacUpdate)

Personally, I prefer smcFanControl (smcFanControl 1.2.2 - MacUpdate)

To you guys with the whine issue, why don't you get the MLB changed? Apple has publicly announced that this is a problem that should be fixed.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

MutePrint
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 06:40 AM

so I just intalled the new firmware update, only to find that upon doing so, my previously silent 15" macbook pro now suddenly has an annoying fan noise. what the hell. does anyone know what could be causing this?
MacBook Pro 2.0 / 7200 / 1GB

dahcar
Nov 19, 2006, 11:55 AM

my fan is constantly running. as well. not that it's that loud but it's really annoying, as my mbp was previously silent. i'm going to try a few things, then call apple if they dont work. i will report my findings.

for those who still have the whine: call apple or go to a store, they will easily take in the computer and change the logic board which eliminates the sound. i had to do it twice, but now my machine couldn't be quieter, at least before the firmware update.

marissa
Nov 19, 2006, 01:16 PM

I was having sleep issues on my MBP. It wouldn't sleep if I closed the lid, and when I did put it to sleep, it would take like literally 2 minutes to go. Then it would wake up 2 seconds later, draining the battery til I came back. After the firmware update, it's snappier and if I close the lid, it'll sleep.

However, I noticed something the other day (not sure if it was before or after the update) but when I plugged my MBP into my external monitor, it would go through this sleep/wake cycle constantly. Wake up for a minute, sleep for a minute, wake up for a minute, sleep for a minute. I have only seen it once but again, I don't remember if it was before or after the update.

My logic board was replaced shortly after purchase so I can't comment on any whining noises. I don't hear anything.
macbook.

Mactivist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 03:23 PM

As a precaution I uninstalled FanControl prior to updating to the latest EFI firmware. A few people on the Apple discussion forum claimed that FanContol caused their firmware update process to fail on the powerup step. While I can't confirm this, it was easy enough to uninstall so I took the conservative approach. In theory I suppose FanContol might have put the system in a state the firmware update logic wasn't tested for. I also verified/repaired permissions before doing the update (again, being paranoid and conservative).

One thing I noticed is that the firmware update instructions were incorrect. After you run the firmware update and power down the computer you are supposed to press and hold the power button until (according to Apple's instructions) the power indicator light flashes. In fact on my system it was the SLEEP indicator light that flashed quickly.

Once the firmware update completed I re-installed FanControl and everything seems fine. I then also installed BootCamp 1.1.2 drivers in Windows XP with no errors.

For the record, I've never had one of Apple's software updates fail on me or give me strange results.
Week 12 MBP 15.4" 2.16GHz / 2GB RAM / 7200 100 GB HD

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by marissa View Post
However, I noticed something the other day (not sure if it was before or after the update) but when I plugged my MBP into my external monitor, it would go through this sleep/wake cycle constantly. Wake up for a minute, sleep for a minute, wake up for a minute, sleep for a minute. I have only seen it once but again, I don't remember if it was before or after the update.
This can happen when you're not plugged into AC power. Closed-lid mode only works properly when the MBP is plugged into AC power.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 07:35 AM

15"RevA MBP2.0/1GB/100GB-7200rpm

MBP ran very hot, right out of the box, 2/28/06. smcFanControl was the first fix I tried. It only changes the idle speed of the fans(They always run, albeit slow if the load is low). When I found Fan Control Pref Pane, I tried it, and stuck with it. I like that I can not only change the idle speed, but the speedup ramp also. I happily trade a little noise for a cool lap.

I ran the firmware update with Fan Control installed - no probs, no noticeable changes to my MBP.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2006, 12:20 PM

I don't understand why don't you guys with the wine problem, send your MPB to the repair center. When you call, simply reference to this knowledgebase article: MacBook Pro with noise under the keyboard
and they will replace your logisc board

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mactivist View Post
One thing I noticed is that the firmware update instructions were incorrect. After you run the firmware update and power down the computer you are supposed to press and hold the power button until (according to Apple's instructions) the power indicator light flashes. In fact on my system it was the SLEEP indicator light that flashed quickly.
that is the power indicator light...Is there another light on the MBP that I'm not seeing that indicates power?
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 01:12 PM

I don't update firmware unless I need the fix they are releasing it for.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

dubl3DOTcom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 01:09 AM

for some reason this is the first firmware update ive gotten came to me last week on thursday guess it was on the first of december. anyway i installed it an all hell broke loose, like others, its been running hot but more than that scre trying to open any older flash files, im running flash 8 if i drop anything into it it freezes up same with photoshop, word, anyway its 2 steps short of a pooh storm ive been trying like mad to find away to rever back to the older version.

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2006, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by MrNo View Post
I don't understand why don't you guys with the wine problem, send your MPB to the repair center. When you call, simply reference to this knowledgebase article: MacBook Pro with noise under the keyboard
and they will replace your logisc board
I tried that before. The caveat is that apple said that for only 15 inches. Not the 17 inchers.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration View Post
I tried that before. The caveat is that apple said that for only 15 inches. Not the 17 inchers.
Did you try taking it to the store and having the "genious" take a look at it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules