Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Is PUSH working for you?

Is PUSH working for you?
MikeD
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 02:06 PM

Tried to experiment with the push email and calendars like they did from WWDC, but it's not working like I thought it would... (as in, not syncing in good time / at all). Anyone else with experiences with testing this out?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 02:09 PM

I'm actually playing around with this right now myself.

If I make an entry on me.com, it seems to go to my iphone pretty fast, but not on iCal until I click "sync now" in mobile me system preferences (I actually JUST got the update for mobileme to show instead of .mac).

It's the same the other way around, if I put something into iCal, I haven't seen it on my phone in like 10 minutes unless I press sync now.

I hope this is just temporary?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 02:11 PM

I've had mail show up on my mac minutes before it showed up on my phone. So much for "PUSH".

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 02:12 PM

For me, it's not even showing up with sync now... I put in the entry about 30 minutes ago! Mail actually seems to be kinda working now too. Oh, did anyone else notice that with mail on the iphone, it looks like it will only push to one account??? I have a family plan w/multiple addresses and only 1 syncs.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2008, 02:46 PM

Part of me thinks that counting on Push email in general (even with systems that aren't shitty like MobileMe/.Mac) is generally just a bad idea. Email is not a real time messaging platform like instant messaging is, and if we start to think of email like we do a pager, that one time where a time sensitive/mission critical message is lagged, deferred, rejected, or whatever will bite us in the butt.

Also, given the poor reliability of MobileMe/.Mac, I also question whether trusting Apple with this service is even worth it - push or not.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Part of me thinks that counting on Push email in general (even with systems that aren't shitty like MobileMe/.Mac) is generally just a bad idea. Email is not a real time messaging platform like instant messaging is, and if we start to think of email like we do a pager, that one time where a time sensitive/mission critical message is lagged, deferred, rejected, or whatever will bite us in the butt.
How is this different from pages/SMS/IM all of which can fail in exactly the same ways.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
How is this different from pages/SMS/IM all of which can fail in exactly the same ways.
No, they cannot fail in the exact same ways...

pages/SMS/IM fail when there are network outages and difficulties, and perhaps sometimes when clients fail. Ways that email can fail:

- overloaded SMTP servers due to aging hardware and high quantities of spam (thankfully, spam has not caught on in IM/SMS)

- misconfigured SMTP servers that are not set according to RFC, which can result in message duplicates, connections being dropped, etc.

- busy queues that have to compete with regular mail delivery

- the same sorts of network outages, email client difficulties, etc.

- messages being flagged as spam and being filed into Junk via server or client-side filters

- mail loops

- badly designed web based forms that share the same relays which can be used to generate spam and back-scatter

- back-scatter from spam

- an SMTP server on a block/blacklist

- etc.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 03:25 PM

I was just messing around with MobileMe in the last few minutes, and when I went to me .Mac preference pane (it hadn't changed to MobileMe yet) in System Preferences it told me that a system update was available for MobileMe. Push hadn't been working for me last night, and I was checking Software Update but nothing was coming up, but after I ran that update today it seems to be working for the most part. I added a new contact on my desktop Address Book and about 2 minutes later it showed up on my iPhone. It wasn't instant by any means, but at least I didn't have to sync it manually.

Something I noticed was that my subscribed calendars in iCal, namely Birthdays, weren't on my iPhone. According to the Apple Discussion board, its an issue Apple is aware of and working to resolve. That's good because I need Birthdays on my phone since I suck at remembering those.

Overall I'm liking MobileMe. My hope is that they can speed up the pushing if possible. Not a deal breaker, but would be cool if it were a little more "instant".

alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 03:31 PM

I just got the MobileMe software update installation package and installed it. Nothing changed except the icon in my System Preferences. I can still only "push" information to one of my two iPhones. I'm not sure why the second can't get the information. Anyone know if there is a limit of one iPhone per push?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 05:03 PM

I just sent an email from my computer on an exchange account to my .mac address, and the iphone beeped in less than 5 seconds.

But I changed a calendar entry on the mobileme webapp calendar 15 minutes ago, and it still has not changed on the iphone.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 05:17 PM

Email push works with no problem. Syncing the calendars is another issue here also. I had to hit the sync button in the menubar and then it showed up on the web and on the phone.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post

Also, given the poor reliability of MobileMe/.Mac, I also question whether trusting Apple with this service is even worth it - push or not.
Not counting on instant email delivery (or at all) is fine, but when the rest works, the push should work too.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Not counting on instant email delivery (or at all) is fine, but when the rest works, the push should work too.
Yeah, it's fine for when you aren't counting on instant email delivery, but if you aren't counting on instant delivery do you really *need* push email at all?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 06:52 PM

The best thing for me personally is that when I add a contact, bookmark, iCal event on my phone or computer or on the web apps, all of my other devices get the update eventually, and rather quickly. No need to dock and sync my phone, or hit the sync button on my Mac. Push email isn't that important to me, but its nice. For me its all about keeping my information synced between all of my devices with minimal effort. MobileMe does that a million times better than .Mac. And the new web apps are light years better than anything .Mac had.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 07:08 PM

Mine's been working seamlessly since yesterday without any update.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2008, 07:10 PM

It's working fine for me to both my iPhone (3G) and upgraded Touch.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

The Milkman
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2008, 07:19 PM

Probably obvious but make sure you have Synchronize checked and Automatically chosen in the sync tab of MobileMe pref.
With those settings pushing calendar events between iCal and MobileMe Cal seems to work. Although it can take a minute or two. Something needs to trigger a sync first.
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Oscar Wilde

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 07:46 PM

Crap. Forget what I said.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 08:01 PM

PUSH has been working for me for months now with yahoo.com email account.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 08:09 PM

Not working that well for me yet.

Email works great, but the address book and calendars are...insane. They're doing all sorts of weird things, and I have no idea how to resolve these issues yet. This seems to be more evidence that Apple jumped the gun with MobileMe and iPhone 2.0.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 08:09 PM

Working on all but one iPhone for me. There is no difference between the configurations of each iPhone, but one works and one does not. I've spent a day working on it with no solution. I can't figure it out.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Milkman View Post
Probably obvious but make sure you have Synchronize checked and Automatically chosen in the sync tab of MobileMe pref.
With those settings pushing calendar events between iCal and MobileMe Cal seems to work. Although it can take a minute or two. Something needs to trigger a sync first.
D'oh! Yes, I didn't have that set, and now my calendars are pushing just fine.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2008, 08:19 PM

Mail, contacts and calendar are all instant for me using Exchange. Perhaps Apple's servers aren't up to snuff yet.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
D'oh! Yes, I didn't have that set, and now my calendars are pushing just fine.
Wow. How incredulous that Apple didn't set it to Automatically when installing MobileMe, instead using your old .Mac setting. At least give the user an option at install or at least a friggin' notification. Very unintuitive.

taldrich
Jul 16, 2008, 07:13 AM

For me, I have a disconnect on Push addresses from my computers.

If I change an address on my iPhone or on MobileMe web site, it feeds back to my computer and iPhone almost instantaneously.

However, if I change or add a contact on my computer, zilch. And I do have 'automatic' checked on my sync preferences, and I have tried a manual sync as well.

All is not yet good in MobileMe!
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by taldrich View Post
For me, I have a disconnect on Push addresses from my computers.

If I change an address on my iPhone or on MobileMe web site, it feeds back to my computer and iPhone almost instantaneously.

However, if I change or add a contact on my computer, zilch. And I do have 'automatic' checked on my sync preferences, and I have tried a manual sync as well.

All is not yet good in MobileMe!
"Automatic" really means 15 minutes. You can change that by editing the plist.

The Milkman
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
"Automatic" really means 15 minutes. You can change that by editing the plist.
Good tip! Unfortunately my whole system grinds to a halt during sync due to excessive hard drive activity. So I'll pass for now.
Oscar Wilde

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 16, 2008, 07:49 AM

The only way I can get "push" email to work is if I "push" the update button; nothing shows up in my MobileMe account on my iPhone otherwise. Toggling the push/fetch settings doesn't seem to help, nor did a power cycle.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2008, 07:52 AM

I was amazed that when I added a contact on my iPhone yesterday evening it took all of about 10 seconds for it to show up in Address Book on my MBP. Amazing! ActiveSync is nowhere near that fast!
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 16, 2008, 07:53 AM

Thanks for that...but I can't find the proper directory

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2008, 08:08 AM

Push has been working acceptably for me, although not really as advertised.

Push email to the iPhone has been great, since before my iPhone wouldn't always even check for mail every 15 minutes. It now gets email way before any of my computers.

Between my two computers, I can generally get away with just hitting the sync button at the beginning and end of my work day on the MBP, and then telling the iMac to sync up when I get home before I start working, and then before I leave in the morning.

Other than that, I generally know when I have made changes that I want to appear on my iPhone, so before I head out somewhere I can press the sync button and have it show up on my phone in about 15 seconds.

Haven't had a need for the web interface yet.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 08:17 AM

I don't use Mobile Me.

Push does seem to be working on my iPhone though. It's not instantaneous, but for the few messages I've gotten, they've come within minutes.

Note though, if I send messages using the web interface of Yahoo!, it shows up quickly on the web interface Inbox... and then shows up shortly afterwards on my iPhone. If I send messages using the Mail app on my Mac (POP account), then it sometimes takes a long time to show up on my Yahoo! web interface... and then it shows up shortly afterwards on my iPhone.

I can't test IMAP with my Mac, because Yahoo! apparently doesn't support IMAP for computer email accounts, even though they have it for the iPhone.

EDIT:

Scratch that. It doesn't work every time on the iPhone. Oh well whatever. I have it set to download every hour, or manually as well. Good enough for me. As I said before I kinda like the hurry-up-and-wait nature of email responding.
( Last edited by Eug; Jul 16, 2008 at 08:39 AM. )

The Milkman
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2008, 10:38 AM

I just got this email from Apple. It might explain some things.

We have recently completed the transition from .Mac to MobileMe. Unfortunately, it was a lot rockier than we had hoped.
Although core services such as Mail, iDisk, Sync, Back to My Mac, and Gallery went relatively smoothly, the new MobileMe web applications had lots of problems initially. Fortunately we have worked through those problems and the web apps are now up and running.
Another snag we have run into is our use of the word "push" in describing everything under the MobileMe umbrella. While all email, contact or calendar changes on the iPhone and the web apps are immediately synced to and from the MobileMe "cloud," changes made on a PC or Mac take up to 15 minutes to sync with the cloud and your other devices. So even though things are indeed instantly pushed to and from your iPhone and the web apps today, we are going to stop using the word "push" until it is near-instant on PCs and Macs, too.
We want to apologize to our loyal customers and express our appreciation for their patience by giving all current subscribers an automatic 30-day extension to their MobileMe subscription free of charge. Your extension will be reflected in your account settings within the next few weeks.
We hope you enjoy your new suite of web applications at me.com, in addition to keeping your iPhone and iPod touch wirelessly in sync with these new web applications and your Mac or PC.
Thank you,
The MobileMe Team
Oscar Wilde

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I have it set to download every hour, or manually as well. Good enough for me. As I said before I kinda like the hurry-up-and-wait nature of email responding.
Yeah. I'm using both exchange and mobileme, and I've turned them both off and set them to manual checking. I'm no one's bitch that I have to know about their emails to me instantaneously. I check it several times a day anyway.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 11:51 PM

I have never gotten push calendaring to work yet. My Push email worked for a couple days, but stopped working today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules