Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mmmmmm, designed by Porsche.

Mmmmmm, designed by Porsche.
uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 06:01 PM

http://lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10032

Any of these would look so good with my 12" PowerBook and Samsung SyncMaster 171P LCD, also designed by F. A. Porsche.

Gotta love metal minimalism...

Oy, the bank account is groaning.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2003, 06:11 PM

I think LaCie got ripped? I mean how much did they have to pay to Porsche to have them come up with a plain, featureless silver box?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Turias
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 06:13 PM

I'm not really sure how it works, but it's possible that LaCie didn't pay Porsche anything. Instead, Porshe might have done it merely for the 'advertising' element.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I think LaCie got ripped? I mean how much did they have to pay to Porsche to have them come up with a plain, featureless silver box?
What's funny is that this "plain, featureless silver box" looks worlds better than any other hard drive enclosure I've seen. Minimalism is a good thing, especially when it comes to computer components which are typically made of plastic and littered with useless buttons, lights and logos.

Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by uv23:
What's funny is that this "plain, featureless silver box" looks worlds better than any other hard drive enclosure I've seen. Minimalism is a good thing, especially when it comes to computer components which are typically made of plastic and littered with useless buttons, lights and logos.
Ya i know that but why does someone have to hire a "designer" to do nothing other then over the phone saying make it a silver box and send me a check.

I also think the last LaCie drives looked better.

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 10:54 PM

Ya i know that but why does someone have to hire a "designer" to do nothing other then over the phone saying make it a silver box and send me a check.
Having worked in design, I'm sure that they went through a gazillion different rounds of design, from one with stylized fins to one with Peltier cooling. Then someone came up with "How about a plain, featureless box?" and was an instant hero.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

OreoCookie
Dec 22, 2003, 11:56 PM

Very nice. I need an external hd anyway ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Dec 24, 2003, 02:24 AM

F.A. Porsche is the grand-son of Prof. Dr. Ferdinand Porsche; the man who is most resposible for the design of the Volkswagen. Grand-dad must be spinning in his grave.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2003, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Wahnsinn:
F.A. Porsche is the grand-son of Prof. Dr. Ferdinand Porsche; the man who is most resposible for the design of the Volkswagen.
I thought Hitler was?

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 04:40 AM

I thought Hitler was?
From what I've read, when hitler was in jail, he read Henry Ford's biography and was inspired to develop the "peoples car" (volkswagen), an affordable car that german residents could drive on a new network of highways (the autobahn). When Hitler became the nazi leader, he commissioned Dr. Porsche to design it. Dr. Porsche's origanal design looked a lot like a 356. When hitler saw the plans, he drew on a piece of scratch paper how he really wanted it to look like. And therefor the vw beetle was born.......if anyone wanted to know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules